Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Why is my 3D movie not as nice as at the store?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 of 41 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,260 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 10:56 PM

Some people have difficulty enoying 3-D for reasons that can be physical or neurological. My best friend cannot fathom depth in movies at all. Active shutter (or even passive) glasses might not decode the same amount of depth for one person that they do in the next. It's rather like being more sensitive to (or not sensitive at all to) certain colors in the spectrum, i.e. color-blind. I believe many people are 3-D blind.

#22 of 41 OFFLINE   Eddie W.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 12:16 AM

Another thing people rarely mention is to check the position of your TV. I have the LG 5600 & notice the 3D effect changes depending on location. If I'm on the couch & the TV is at eye level, it's perfect. But if I sit on the floor or stand up & look down at the TV, the 3D effect is as if I'm not even wearing glasses. So it might be simply that you were looking straight at the TV in store, but you may have it mounted higher or lower at home (above a fireplace maybe?).

#23 of 41 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hmmm. Well, now I am worried. You see I have always had my TV's set up so that the middle of the TV is at eye level. This TV however is the first one I had installed on my wall and the installer insisted on it being slightly higher and tilted forward. Now to be fair, the angle is almost perfect. In other words if I look up at the TV, the it is tilted I am staring almost straight on at the middle. Almost. He claimed it would give it a more cinematic feel. My wife agreed and since she was nice enough to allow yet another TV upgrade about a year after we upgraded the living room to 40" I agreed too. Will have to test that
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#24 of 41 OFFLINE   mohitb29

mohitb29

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 07:22 PM

When I was at store, they recommened that TV should be slightly higher than eye level. If it is lower then it's an issue. Someone in this post mentioned to remove the option to convert 2d to 3d for 3d movies. I removed the option to convert 2d to 3d and now I am viewing the 3d movie directly in 3d mode. I found considerable difference in pop-out and 3d effects after doing this. Also, in the manual I have read that the blueray player comes with some presettings such as 55" tv monitor. I have a 42" LED and will change this setting in the player to see if it improves 3d quality.

#25 of 41 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,059 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted November 05 2012 - 09:17 PM

Frankly, thought that darn fish in the IMAX movie wasn't really that good--If you mean 'Under the Sea", always wondered why the fish got all the press, and not those cute seals poking their noses out of the screen at the end.

This may be a question of eyesight combined with equipment. For me, the potato cod section of the IMAX Under the Sea title is eye-popping. The potato cod swims out to what looks like several feet in front of my screen. Every time I watch it, it never fails to amaze me. The best pop-out effect I've seen so far.

#26 of 41 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 09:45 PM

Best 3D I ever saw was the IMAX Shark! 3-D (which didn't have as many sharks as I expected). There's a scene where a shoal of jellyfish float out into the cinema. We were sat at the back, and everyone in the place was grabbing the jellyfish out of the air with their hands. It was like they'd floated out of the screen and right up to a foot in front of your face. It was quite spectacular. And I hate 3-D ! Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#27 of 41 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted January 04 2013 - 03:29 AM

This may be a question of eyesight combined with equipment. For me, the potato cod section of the IMAX Under the Sea title is eye-popping. The potato cod swims out to what looks like several feet in front of my screen. Every time I watch it, it never fails to amaze me. The best pop-out effect I've seen so far.

I have the 3D film Under the Sea on Blu-ray and also saw it in a 3D IMAX theatre. The potato cod shot literally creeped me out when I saw it in IMAX. That ugly fish swam right up to within about 10 inches from my face and just sat there staring at me... I thought it would never move away. Talk about a pop-out moment. Viewing the same shot on my 60" plasma with the fish swimming a mere few feet out of the screen was a major disappointment.

#28 of 41 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 04 2013 - 05:10 AM

I have the 3D film Under the Sea on Blu-ray and also saw it in a 3D IMAX theatre. The potato cod shot literally creeped me out when I saw it in IMAX. That ugly fish swam right up to within about 10 inches from my face and just sat there staring at me... I thought it would never move away. Talk about a pop-out moment. Viewing the same shot on my 60" plasma with the fish swimming a mere few feet out of the screen was a major disappointment.

You need to sit closer to your plasma to get the same effect.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#29 of 41 OFFLINE   fxrh

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 04 2013 - 06:04 PM

Anyway, if you want pop-out for reference, just try a couple of the recent Dreamworks movies.

MADAGASCAR 3: EUROPE'S MOST WANTED is loaded with pop-out effects. I've only watched it five times in the last month.

#30 of 41 OFFLINE   Frankie_A

Frankie_A

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 05 2013 - 01:49 AM

OK, so you set up everything by the numbers. You can bet the store geeks didn't do that. At the store, they used their own test equipment -- their eyeballs (best "reference" you've got and they only thing you really need to please). You can also bet that they turned on every "enhancement" gimmick the manufacturer has incorporated into the set. I would start turning them back on one by one to see if they make an improvement. Does your set have a "Depth" control -- there are a dozen things they call it, but its the control that changes the ocular displacement of the two images and that in turn gives you the feeling of more or less depth to the 3D image. 3D is actually a FEELING, rather than anything that changes in the image itself, unlike gamma or brightness or color saturation. You look the picture with each eye separately and you see the same "picture," but open both eyes and you immediately FEEL the space within the image. It's an incredible facility we have and I never could understand why so many people think it's a gimmick. It is the exact equivalent of stereophonic vs monophonic for our ears. No one says they would rather listen to mono sound. 3D and Stereo both supply the information to the brain that allows us FEEL space. Yet people who have no trouble wearing sunglasses all day at the beach, whine that they need to wear 3D glasses to get that incredible spatial feeling for a whole 90 minutes of a 3D movie...wusses. Personally I would wear a space helmet to get that 3D experience. But I digress. Just start turning those enhancement controls back on one at a time then off again, and see if TO YOUR EYES, you can get a more or less of a pleasing 3D effect from each, especially the depth control. Or, if you want to be a purist, you can go my the numbers and set everything up with no tweaks -- everything will be on the money, but you may have to live with that lack luster 3D effect. OK, yes, set it up to reference, but it's YOUR set, YOU have to live with it and watch it....I say, throw caution to the wind -- use your eyes and set it the way it is most pleasing to you.

#31 of 41 OFFLINE   Frankie_A

Frankie_A

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 05 2013 - 02:06 AM

Best 3D I ever saw was the IMAX Shark! 3-D (which didn't have as many sharks as I expected). There's a scene where a shoal of jellyfish float out into the cinema. We were sat at the back, and everyone in the place was grabbing the jellyfish out of the air with their hands. It was like they'd floated out of the screen and right up to a foot in front of your face. It was quite spectacular. And I hate 3-D ! Steve W

Really? You see in 3D every day. Do you walk around with an eye patch on one eye to insure you don't feel that hated 3D depth that is a normal part of human vision? I can never understand this adversion to 3D....they call it "a gimmick," a "fad." Is stereophonic sound a fad or a gimmick? Binaural sound; binocular vision. it's STEREO -- they are the same thing for each of those senses....same feeling of depth and postion of instruments with hearing, you have that same feeling of the depth and space between objects in a stereo image. Yah I know -- the glasses. Same glasses everyone and his brother have been wearing to the beach and on sunny days for HOURS at a time and I have NEVER heard anyone say they hate to wear sun glasses. Does anyone say they can't stand to listen to stereo sound because they hate to wear ipad ear phones? Whining about wearing stereo glasses to feel 3D depth? Come on.

#32 of 41 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted January 05 2013 - 04:52 AM

Roland: sitting closer to the plasma is not the solution - the fish will still won't appear to be sitting any closer to my face. If you have this movie, try it out and you'll see what I mean. Sitting close to the screen simply reduces the depth effect.

#33 of 41 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,059 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted January 05 2013 - 11:37 AM

Really? You see in 3D every day. Do you walk around with an eye patch on one eye to insure you don't feel that hated 3D depth that is a normal part of human vision? I can never understand this adversion to 3D....they call it "a gimmick," a "fad." Is stereophonic sound a fad or a gimmick? Binaural sound; binocular vision.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, one of the reasons why some people are averse to it is that movie 3D as currently presented isn't the same as real 3D vision. What you get are essentially different planes of depth, like cardboard cutouts that stand out more than the background for example. True 3D would give you an almost holographic effect, such that you can move around the image and see it in three dimensions. Current 3D is certainly nice, but let's not get carried away and suggest that it's exactly the same as what we'd see if we were sitting in the room with the actors.

#34 of 41 OFFLINE   Frankie_A

Frankie_A

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 06 2013 - 06:30 AM

I do know what you are talking about the layered look, but I would counter that really good 3D has much less of that effect than 3D done poorly like the aweful CLASH OF THE TITANS. Native 3D capture has little of that effect whereas you see it more with computer generated 3D, although they are getting much better at it now that they have been doing it for awhile. Then again, yes, 3D in a movie is not exactly like how we perceive live 3D, but then neither is stereo sound -- creating a soundstage within a room using only two two or three speakers is artificial as well. In real life sounds emanate from their exact physical locations and getting that depth from only two source points is not the way we naturally hear stereo sound, but seems like we make much less of a fuss about the difference with audio.

#35 of 41 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 06 2013 - 07:04 AM

Roland: sitting closer to the plasma is not the solution - the fish will still won't appear to be sitting any closer to my face. If you have this movie, try it out and you'll see what I mean. Sitting close to the screen simply reduces the depth effect.

It works for me. I have a 55 inch TV and sit about 12 ft or 114 inches from the TV. The recommendation for how close you should sit from your TV is 1.2 to 1.5 times the screen diagonal for the most enjoyment, to get the effect of being at a movie theatre. 55 inches times 1.2 = 66 inches (5ft 6in.) or 1.5 = 82 inches (6t 10in.) At 12 feet, I can stretch my arm out and not come close to the cod fish. At 6ft 10 in., my hand can touch and go through the nose of the fish.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#36 of 41 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 07 2013 - 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Danoldrati 

Hello again
Why don't you try getting a copy of "Jouney to the Center of the Earth" Blu Ray 3D. The film contains quite a few pop-out effects and very good ones.
Dan

I agree, a very good film for impressive pop out effects, Open Season is also a fun one for some pop out and Resident Evil: Afterlife, i believe Madagascar 3 and The Lorax also has some decent pop out effects, of course the best pop out film of them all is A Turtles Tale: Sammy's Adventures, it requires a multi region blu ray player if you live in North America, some movies just don't have that much pop out, check the thread below for pop out films.

http://www.hometheat...t-own-3d-titles

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#37 of 41 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:21 AM

I agree, a very good film for impressive pop out effects, Open Season is also a fun one for some pop out and Resident Evil: Afterlife, i believe Madagascar 3 and The Lorax also has some decent pop out effects, of course the best pop out film of them all is A Turtles Tale: Sammy's Adventures, it requires a multi region blu ray player if you live in North America, some movies just don't have that much pop out, check the thread below for pop out films. http://www.hometheat...t-own-3d-titles

ddhouse has a region free 3-D Blu-ray of A Turtles Tale: Sammy's Adventures for $36.39 including shipping to the US.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#38 of 41 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:44 AM

Really? You see in 3D every day. Do you walk around with an eye patch on one eye to insure you don't feel that hated 3D depth that is a normal part of human vision? I can never understand this adversion to 3D....they call it "a gimmick," a "fad." Is stereophonic sound a fad or a gimmick? Binaural sound; binocular vision. it's STEREO -- they are the same thing for each of those senses....same feeling of depth and postion of instruments with hearing, you have that same feeling of the depth and space between objects in a stereo image. Yah I know -- the glasses. Same glasses everyone and his brother have been wearing to the beach and on sunny days for HOURS at a time and I have NEVER heard anyone say they hate to wear sun glasses. Does anyone say they can't stand to listen to stereo sound because they hate to wear ipad ear phones? Whining about wearing stereo glasses to feel 3D depth? Come on.

I would like to add one comment on this comment. People also see at 70+ fps, a huge color range, and have a non-linear response to light. Look at all the hatred to HFR on this forum. Film doesn't record light linearly like video can. It puts its own non-linear response, which is then projected for us to apply our non-linear response and changing the look from natural to film and look how many people hate the look of real video when used for a movie on this forum because it looks too real, like people on a stage and doesn't look like film. The audio analogy is to ignore the fact that nothing changes when viewing a movie if the theater has 1 speaker or 100. 3D on the other hand requires people do something out of the ordinary; wear a(nother) pair of glasses. The argument that since 3D is normally how we see the world implies that no one should have any aversion to 3D movies is to ignore that movies are a whole host of compromises and degradations of how the real world looks and that most film buffs can't stand anything that changes 70+ years of film-look bias. I don't fault people who don't like 3D movies. Currently no one seems to really understand how to use 3D in a movie. They treat it like audio; something to be added after the fact, just exists, and doesn't impact the way the movie is shot. Sure shooting with real 3D cameras takes extra effort but they are still composing/framing the movie the way they would if it were 2D. They don't seem to really think in terms of depth and the desired final 3D image. If some are then they are failing due to lack of experience. Reminds me of Wrath of Khan. "He is very intelligent but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

#39 of 41 OFFLINE   Billy323

Billy323

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi Slightly different problem for me. I have a gt50 42 inch active 3d Panny plasma. When i watch 3d movies from my hard drive directly connected to the Tv the 3d is flawless and really quite eye popping but when i play 3d games on my ps3 they are full of ghosting that i cant get rid off. I know its not the TV because films look so good, i have tried adjusting the screen size option on my ps3 but this seems to do very little so does trying different picture settings. Adjusting the 3D parallax on the TV does seem to help a little but dampens the 3d effect and ghosting is still there. Is there something I'm missing - Help.

#40 of 41 OFFLINE   JOHNnNM

JOHNnNM

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 05:53 AM

Your PS3 games show ghosting? Or PS3 Bluray 3D shows ghosting? Or both? I think some of the games are just not so great in this regard. My PS3 plays 3D Bluray fine and dandy enough. Mine is an original PS3 20GB with the PS2 chip in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users