What's new

Apple TV+ 3D movies added to Apple iTunes Movie Store for the Vision Pro (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

"In apparent preparation for the launch of the Apple Vision Pro, the iTunes movie store now offers a handful of 3D movies, including Jurassic World Dominion and Pacific Rim Uprising.

When the Vision Pro headset was announced in June, Apple confirmed that it would support both 2D, 3D and 'Immersive' movies through a dedicated home cinema mode.

One of the movies showcased in 3D at the event was Avatar: The Way of Water.

The movie is available through the Apple TV app (iTunes) and Disney+, so to enable 3D movies on Apple Vision Pro, either one or both apps would need to be updated to add 3D support."

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
How would that work, would the picture be like a disc and all you need are the glasses? I don’t think my 4300 does 3D streaming because the picture would have to go thru the AVR.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It would be terrific if this convinced some TV manufacturer to add this feature to at least one new model.
I don’t think there’s anything here for TV manufacturers. These are likely 3D movies specifically and solely for the Apple Vision VR headset and will not be available through any other streaming or display devices.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How would that work, would the picture be like a disc and all you need are the glasses? I don’t think my 4300 does 3D streaming because the picture would have to go thru the AVR.
You buy this and watch 3D movies on it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, watching 3D movies would/should really only be a small reason (amongst various) for those Apple Vision Pro (VR) headsets... and they're basically priced that way (on top of being 1st gen, bleeding edge carrying plenty of R&D costs)...

_Man_

olivia1

Auditioning
Real Name
Olivia
How to know what movies are available in 3D ? I can't find it on the Apple TV app

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How to know what movies are available in 3D ? I can't find it on the Apple TV app
These are presumably for the upcoming Vision Pro and not playable in 3D through an AppleTV.

I’ve updated the thread title to try and avoid this confusion.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
BIG mistake on Apple's part to not include BR 3D compatability.
In their desire to controll the universe, Apple just carved a tiny nitch out of the already small 3D market. Looks like they want this to be another "Newton-like" invention that is technically sophisticated, but satisfies no existing market.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In their desire to controll the universe, Apple just carved a tiny nitch out of the already small 3D market. Looks like they want this to be another "Newton-like" invention that is technically sophisticated, but satisfies no existing market.

I imagine they can always add that later as the situation develops and warrants. It probably shouldn't be too hard for them to add support, if/when they eventually see the need -- and the processing power of this thing should easily suffice me thinks.

But ideally, direct BD3D support should not actually be needed or even desired by this point me thinks. It would be better to just provide free copy/access of (potentially superior) streaming digital version instead given this kind of tech (and the reality that Apple doesn't even make disc players at all)...

_Man_

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I imagine they can always add that later as the situation develops and warrants. It probably shouldn't be too hard for them to add support, if/when they eventually see the need -- and the processing power of this thing should easily suffice me thinks.

But ideally, direct BD3D support should not actually be needed or even desired by this point me thinks. It would be better to just provide free copy/access of (potentially superior) streaming digital version instead given this kind of tech (and the reality that Apple doesn't even make disc players at all)...

_Man_
All good for Apple, but I have around 200 3D discs that are excellent quality and not compatable with Apple's device. $4000 is a major investment, and it requires some hefty incentives to make it attractive to loyal 3D fans.
When surround sound was unveiled at CES decades ago almost every stereo Laser Disc was already encoded with surround matrix tracks. The first add on surround boxes sold like hotcakes because software to enjoy them was already in the consumers hands. I remember several months where the nights were like Christmas...opening presents.
To this day the theatrically playful surround tracks on the first Laser Disc release of The Ten Conmandments have never been matched...even on the 4K.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
All good for Apple, but I have around 200 3D discs that are excellent quality and not compatable with Apple's device. $4000 is a major investment, and it requires some hefty incentives to make it attractive to loyal 3D fans.
When surround sound was unveiled at CES decades ago almost every stereo Laser Disc was already encoded with surround matrix tracks. The first add on surround boxes sold like hotcakes because software to enjoy them was already in the consumers hands. I remember several months where the nights were like Christmas...opening presents.
To this day the theatrically playful surround tracks on the first Laser Disc release of The Ten Conmandments have never been matched...even on the 4K.

I think you're missing the point in your insistance on using those 3D discs instead of streaming.

What if they simply gave you a way to play all those titles in 3D via streaming w/ no extra cost (or say maybe just nominal $2 cost each like was previously offered by Vudu w/ their Disc-to-Go program some years ago)? They could just provide a way to verify you do already have those discs and just enable access. That would be the simplest way to go... and you can probably get (potentially and/or eventually) superior 3D versions of those titles that way... especially since these goggles are much higher rez (and HDR capable) than your 3D discs...

It really doesn't make a lot of sense to use these goggles w/ discs anyway. Why physically tether them to a disc player? You'd almost certainly want playback to be wirelessly streamed to the goggles anyway afterall... even if you somehow can play those discs back via the goggles, so...

_Man_

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I think you're missing the point in your insistance on using those 3D discs instead of streaming.
What if they simply gave you a way to play all those titles in 3D via streaming w/ no extra cost (or say maybe just nominal $2 cost each like was previously offered by Vudu w/ their Disc-to-Go program some years ago)? They could just provide a way to verify you do already have those discs and just enable access. That would be the simplest way to go... and you can probably get (potentially and/or eventually) superior 3D versions of those titles that way... especially since these goggles are much higher rez (and HDR capable) than your 3D discs...

It really doesn't make a lot of sense to use these goggles w/ discs anyway. Why physically tether them to a disc player? You'd almost certainly want playback to be wirelessly streamed to the goggles anyway afterall... even if you somehow can play those discs back via the goggles, so...

_Man_
I didn't "miss the point" of something that wasn't offered to begin with. Sure it would be nice if Apple "offered" digital files for 3D BR owners, or made their "cocoon" compatible with existing media (as dvd's were with BR and UHD), but they didn’t!
I didn't say their headset would have to be teathered to a disc player...many TV's already link content wirelessly.
However, I don't imagine many people will stumble around blindly while wearing a cocoon that eliminates reality. No eating dinner, petting the cat, or talking with friends while watching. This device caters to those who prefer cave dwelling over humanity.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Huh? Vision Pro, like an iPad or an iPhone, has no disc player and will never play a disc.

This is an AR/VR headset, not a new TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks