What's new

Home Theater Advice (1 Viewer)

Honor

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hello all. First post!
I'm looking to set up a low/medium range 2.1 system to be used as both a movie/game and music system. I'm going to be stuck in an apartment for the next few years since I'm just finishing college so I'm looking for a system that works best in a medium room but also very well in a small room. Id prefer not to go over 2,000 USD for the whole package.
I haven't decided on floor standing speakers or a receiver yet so I'm open to advice.
For floor standing speakers I listened to the Polk Tsi 400 and the Klipsch kf-28 at BB. The polk sounded very muddy (bad) to me and the klipsch sounded clear (good) so that should give you some idea as to my sound preferences. Also, the HSU has their "package" deals and I was wondering if their hybrid 1 - 2.1 package would save money compared to getting floor standing speakers and not fall behind in blend/balance.
As far as receivers, 3d capable is really all I care about. If the receiver is over 2.1 (5.1 or 7.1) I would be fine with bi-amping to reach the optimal power for the floor standing speakers.
Here are the components I'm looking at!
Sub-woofer:
VTF-1 MK2 vs DSW PRO 440WI vs sw-50 vs PSUB1000BLA vs a used supercube 1/2/4000 (trying not to go over 500 on just the sub!)
Floor Standing Speakers:
?
Reciever:
?
Any advice is welcome. I live in Washington state and can find a reason to travel to Seattle or Spokane area if you know of a good store to demo at.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum, your question is a pretty loaded one as there are so many options to choose from in receivers and floor standing speakers. $2,000.00 is not a bad amount to spend, but it still limits your choices. I think your first stop is a place like Best Buy. Give some serious listening to some Polk Audio or Klipsh speakers. Google for a serious HT store in your area and pay them a visit as well. You should do this before considering online stores. As to the receiver, what are you looking for in a receiver? The latest at the entry level is 3D pass through, 7.1 channels, DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, 3 to 4 HDMI inputs for ample switching. Denon, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, and Sony are the receivers that will meet all your needs, you just need to look at them and see. I learned that the Sony STR DH 830 has all the above including up scaling all video to 1080i.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Kevin,
Since you are getting a sub, there's no real need to get floor standing speakers. I suggest get bookshelf speakers and invest more in the sub.
Since you like the 'clearer' Klipsch, I will steer you towards my favorites. These are not as bright as Klipsch, but are still more 'accurate' in the higher range like the Klipsch. $500
For the receiver check out the Denon 1912 for $450.
That will leave about $1000 for a very good sub. Check out this beast from SVS. Be sure to check out the outlet store while you're there.
This can be the start of a bigger system in the future. The speakers, sub, and receiver will all work well if you decide to expand to 5.1 or 7.1 later.
Of course this is my opinion. YMMV. :D

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
BTW - While there's nothing wrong with 'bi-amping' this way, it is pointless (you don't get double the power like it seems). Don't choose speakers based on weather they are bi-ampable.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
The two main speakers will have the greatest impact on overall sound quality. I would suggest spending at least 1/2 your budget on the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks