What's new

Iron Giant Blu-ray in the works (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
At a press event for Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, director Brad Bird said that his animated film, The Iron Giant, is in the works. Probably not very soon, but the news is good (not sure if this was already known or not)!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
So, where is it? Any word?

laurent-durieux-iron-giant-poster-mondo__span.jpg

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Mark Walker said:
So, where is it? Any word?
laurent-durieux-iron-giant-poster-mondo__span.jpg
The last update I could find from Brad Bird in July of last year:“@seberrett: (Iron Giant) blu-ray WHEN??!!”Had conversations with WB about it, want new extras to be great, not just standard reissue.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Neil Middlemiss said:
The last update I could find from Brad Bird in July of last year: “@seberrett: (Iron Giant) blu-ray WHEN??!!” Had conversations with WB about it, want new extras to be great, not just standard reissue.
Perhaps this is part of the problem. Bird is busy so there's no time to create a new transfer and some quality extras.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Jari K said:
Perhaps this is part of the problem. Bird is busy so there's no time to create a new transfer and some quality extras.
That would actually be the perview of Warner's George Feltenstein & Ned Price...all Bird would need to do is look at the new transfer and extras and sign off his approval once the work's done...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
lukejosephchung said:
That would actually be the perview of Warner's George Feltenstein & Ned Price...all Bird would need to do is look at the new transfer and extras and sign off his approval once the work's done...
I was talking about e.g. audio commentary, interviews, deleted scenes (with additional audio commentary) etc. They need Bird and after that they can finish the extras.

Btw. Great interview here with Bird:
http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/innovation/innovation_lessons_from_pixar_an_interview_with_oscar-winning_director_brad_bird

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Not too surprising. Budgets at studios for new bonus content on catalog releases is essentially $0. Warner probably wants to just carry over previous bonus as currently constituted. If Bird wants to get some new material on there it'll likely need to be done extremely cheap or free.

JamesTLewis

Agent
Real Name
James Lewis
There's a twitter campaign going on. I've sent a polite request for them to special edition it or pass it to criterion.

ThadK

Second Unit
Well, just about everyone and his uncle records commentaries and interviews for free for WHV, not sure why Brad Bird warrants an actual cost.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It still takes paying someone to record/shoot and assemble the audio and/or footage of the interviews and any other elements, and those people need to be paid for their services.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
If you read the link that I linked, the documentary of this film could be very interesting. Not just PR talk w hugs and kisses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks