What's new

Iron Giant Blu-ray in the works (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Iron Giant is back in theaters this week, both last night and this Sunday, through Fathom Events.

People in the know are all-but-saying that a Blu-ray is going to be announced very soon.

Question: Did anyone see it last night with the new footage? If so, what do you think?

I am seeing it this Sunday and am really looking forward to it. I did not see it in theaters when it was originally released; I watched it on DVD and kicked myself for not experiencing it in a big theater.

The poster as shown below that was handed out at ComicCon this last summer to promote the release (and it showed up on eBay thereafter for ridiculous prices for such a small print.). It is now being turned into a limited edition fine art print available through Dark Hall Mansion, starting tomorrow at 9:00 AM.

http://darkhallmansionstore.com/

Brad%20Bird%20IRON%20GIANT_zps2ydqfntz.jpg

While it pales in comparison to the Laurent Dereaux serigraph,

iron+giant+.jpg

which now sells for several hundred dollars when it appears on eBay, this new print is beautiful.

I collect some fine art posters, and this one is fantastic, though I prefer silk-screened prints to glicees, in this case, the image does not lend itself to silk-screening.

Store link here: http://darkhallmansionstore.com/

Cheers!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I went to the Fathom event today; I can answer my own questions for those that may also be wondering.

During the introduction to the Fathom Event, Brad Bird appears on the screen to thank fans for attending the event and mentions the forthcoming digital and Blu-ray release of the film along with suggesting the audience stay after the film to watch a snippet from a making of documentary that will be included on the Blu-ray as well.

As I watched the film, I did think I knew which were the two new additional scenes. (I haven't watched the DVD since I heard the rumor that a Blu-ray was in the works, so I actually thought there were three scenes inserted. When I came home, I scanned the DVD and confirmed that there are two additional scenes in the film.)
  • Annie and Dean in the Diner: ​a scene that introduces some chemistry between these two characters, and...
  • The Giant's Dream: which shows the giant robot having a dream, which actually sends a signal out to Dean's television, so Dean sees the giant robot's dream as it interrupts his viewing of the Jack Paar show.
The wonderful thing about these two additional scenes is that, unlike many a marketing gimmick where footage is inserted into films that the director never wanted added, both of these scenes were ones that Brad Bird, the director and screen story writer, is on record (on video) stating he would've put them in the film if the budget would've allowed it.

How do I know? Well, if you have the special edition DVD and you check the deleted scenes in the bonus content section, you will find both scenes there in rough animation form. They are among 8 scenes that did not make it in to the film. As Bird introduces these two scenes they are the only two that he states he wishes they were in the movie.

The Giant's Dream in particular gives some biography to the giant robot and, per the animator introducing the scene, shows a bit of what had done on another planet.

It was wonderful seeing this film in a theater. I don't know how this film still makes me well up with tears, but it almost always does.

I am REALLY looking forward to the Blu-ray.

Here is to hoping it is coming out very soon!

One last note: I follow Vin Diesel, the voice of the Iron Giant, on Facebook. On August 28th of this year, he posted the following: "I have been very lucky to have played so many interesting characters... one of the first and one of my favorites is... the Iron Giant. P.s. Don't be surprised when you hear WB announce the sequel."

Cheers!

Ken LB

Supporter
Real Name
Ken
Mark Walker said:
One last note: I follow Vin Diesel, the voice of the Iron Giant, on Facebook. On August 28th of this year, he posted the following: "I have been very lucky to have played so many interesting characters... one of the first and one of my favorites is... the Iron Giant. P.s. Don't be surprised when you hear WB announce the sequel."

Unfortunately, Bird "corrected" Vin's comments on Twitter:

"Vin was just having fun stirring pots. I agree with you; we told the story we wanted to tell-- -and now we're done."

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/the-iron-giant/248781/iron-giant-2-brad-bird-rules-out-sequel

I saw the showing last Wednesday and thought it was terrific in every respect. Can't wait for the Blu-ray!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
It appears the film will be released on BD and DVD with both cuts of the film on September 6, 2016. Normally I am not a fan of the "box o' junk" versions, but I really like what I am seeing in this set, as I love the Mondo artwork and the book looks like one I would fine worth owning.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It appears the film will be released on BD and DVD with both cuts of the film on September 6, 2016. Normally I am not a fan of the "box o' junk" versions, but I really like what I am seeing in this set, as I love the Mondo artwork and the book looks like one I would fine worth owning.
Link?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I got the press release a few minutes ago - as Mark states, there'll be a standard BD ($14.97) and a "box of junk" ($74.99) on September 6.

I'm sure Ron will post the full press release soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks