Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1352 replies to this topic

#1341 of 1353 ONLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,718 posts

Posted December 13 2014 - 12:42 PM

Among studio moguls, Jack Warner was certainly the biggest advocate of 3-D movies. For Christmas 1953, Warner Bros. presented John Wayne in HONDO. The film did extremely well and played every major city in 3-D.

It has been beautifully restored in widescreen 3-D by Gretchen Wayne. She offered it to Paramount several years ago when they licensed the rights. Unfortunately, the studio passed on the 3-D version and released it flat on blu-ray.

Sigh...

At the very least, and I'm not usually known for silver linings, but at the least, it's been restored and preserved as opposed to being left to rot.  So hopefully one day we'll all get to see it again.

• Bob Furmanek likes this

#1342 of 1353 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,667 posts

Posted December 13 2014 - 12:44 PM

POPULAR

Gretchen has a stunning DCP file that looks great on the big screen.

Somebody should tell George Feltenstein to try and secure the rights from Gretchen and Paramount for 3-D blu-ray release.

• Reed Grele, Josh Steinberg, revgen and 1 other like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#1343 of 1353 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 898 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted December 13 2014 - 05:10 PM

I did not buy the flat BD of Hondo. Having seen the 3D DCP of it, I'd now buy it at once. The DCP is also in the correct widescreen aspect ratio. Why it doesn't play the revival circuits is a mystery to me.

• Josh Steinberg likes this

#1344 of 1353 OFFLINE   SAM33

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted December 14 2014 - 09:35 AM

Exactly the same here. I won't buy HONDO flat, but would snap up a 3D release in a minuet!

• Josh Steinberg likes this

#1345 of 1353 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 14 2014 - 09:56 AM

When Hondo was last on TV in the UK, I watched it via the 3D converter on my TV and even that, feeble as it is, hinted that it might be pretty good in genuine 3D.

"They say money talks; all mine ever said was "Goodbye."": Dick Spanner.

#1346 of 1353 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,612 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 14 2014 - 01:40 PM

I did the same thing with the Blu-ray. My TV offers a 2D to 3D conversion (so do my players, but the TV conversion offers better quality) and even in this dim version of 3D, one could see the film would really be impressive in that format.

#1347 of 1353 ONLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted December 14 2014 - 03:38 PM

I just watched "Die Hard" in fake 3D on my laptop, and it was good enough to beg the question "If Fox put out 'Predator' in 3D, why wouldn't they put out 'Die Hard'?"

#1348 of 1353 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,612 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 14 2014 - 07:17 PM

I just watched "Die Hard" in fake 3D on my laptop, and it was good enough to beg the question "If Fox put out 'Predator' in 3D, why wouldn't they put out 'Die Hard'?"

I have a feeling if Predator and I Robot had sold well in 3D, Fox would have done other conversions for the home market. But frankly they were so unimpressive that I'm glad they didn't bother.

#1349 of 1353 ONLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,718 posts

Posted December 14 2014 - 08:42 PM

I wish the Fox direct-to-Blu 3D conversions. I have them all, but I wasn't impressed by any. They were all for movies I at least somewhat liked and didn't yet own so I don't regret the purchase, but the quality really isn't much better than the built in 2D to 3D conversion on my TV.

Hondo in 3D I'd buy in a heartbeat, and I've never even seen it. I'd also attend a theatrical screening if that DCP ever shows around me. I'm really glad that Gretchen Wayne had it made - even if it takes forever to come out on disc or streaming somewhere, having a master available at least preserves the film and makes it more likely someone will eventually give a BD3D release a chance.

#1350 of 1353 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 15 2014 - 01:26 AM

I have a feeling if Predator and I Robot had sold well in 3D, Fox would have done other conversions for the home market. But frankly they were so unimpressive that I'm glad they didn't bother.

3D added nothing to Predator. If a movie isn't originally designed for 3D, the chances of a conversion being any good are pretty small.

"They say money talks; all mine ever said was "Goodbye."": Dick Spanner.

#1351 of 1353 OFFLINE   SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted December 15 2014 - 03:14 PM

Fox's 3D conversion experiment using the JVC Kenwood 2D3D workstation ended up being mediocre at best. Pretty much they just ran the film through a high end 2D-3D processor and then an actual human went through and hopefully corrected any glaring automated mistakes. A corporate dream, 3D conversion done on the cheap poised to bring in millions. Well the conversions ended up looking better than your TV conversion can do but not by much. It really wasn't such a bad idea if a little more creative planning had been put in but that is not how corporations work these days and since the dream of mega 3D profits from home video is now only a dim memory at the studios I don't think they will continue down this path.

I think that a small company might be able to get into this market if they could convert well and do it for a reasonable sum. Have no idea what the sales figures would be like as sometimes I think only the guys on this forum still care about 3D TV releases.

As  a note, Box Office Mojo reported today about Ridley Scott's Exodus that "3D screens accounted for 44 percent of the gross, which is an above-average result for the format." Perhaps it would have been higher if the studios and theater chains actually promoted 3D instead of acting like its an overpriced embarrasment. My local theater only has two 3D showings a day. After the first week they stopped all 3D showings of Big Hero 6 so I missed out and since Disney has given us the finger I hope I can import a region free bluray 3D. Who would have ever thought I would be saying this........

#1352 of 1353 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,667 posts

Posted December 18 2014 - 02:32 PM

POPULAR

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Greg Kintz, Jack Theakston and yours truly.

2014 has been a great year for the Archive with our first two releases on blu-ray and 2015 will be even better. Watch for some wonderful stereoscopic treasures coming to 3-D blu-ray in the next year!

Here's a before/after image of a vintage 1953 greeting card restored with our anaglyph restoration process. It's cyan/right and please note that if you see ghosting or crosstalk, it's your glasses. The original high-rez image is flawless.

Have a Delightful and Dandy December 25!

Santaanaglyphcomparison_zps590b8981.jpg

• Paul Hillenbrand, Reed Grele, Jason_V and 4 others like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#1353 of 1353 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,231 posts

Posted December 23 2014 - 10:34 PM

Finally got my home theater up and running and made The Bubble my first 3D presentation. A thrill! Best to Bob and all 3D HTF members this holiday season.
  • Bob Furmanek likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users