3D Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 7, 2012.

1. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    Is Inferno the one with a shot of a burning roof collapsing right into the camera? I think I may have seen it in the 80's when one L.A. station was showing films late on Saturday nights during the brief 3D revival. One had to buy the red and blue glasses at your local 7-11. There were several movies shown I haven't seen anywhere since.

2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Yes, after a terrific fight sequence between Robert Ryan and William Lundigan where the two really go at it, without stunt doubles!
    There's also a collapsing roof in THE STRANGER WORE A GUN but that was never converted to red/blue anaglyph for TV viewing.
    Bob

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Bob, what is your opinion of the old StereoVision International system? Twin lens / single strip capture and twin lens / single projector. Every film shot with that system has problems, but I'm not sure if the system was responsible for the problems. What's your take on it?

4. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Stereovision had too many limitations. The filmmaker locked into a 1.37 aspect ratio being a major drawback. Even in that ratio, the use of an anamorphic lens was necessary to stretch the image out to the correct proportion.
    I much prefer the over/under Spacevision system. We're restoring THE BUBBLE right now from the original camera negative and the quality is outstanding.
    Bob

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

You mean you prefer spherical over anamorphic 2 perf for 3-D?
    Were you able to track down the Spacevision hardware? I thought there was only the one in existence. I gather you're using that?
    Love THE BUBBLE. That Rod Serling influence is a good thing.

6. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    Bob my appoligies to both you and Jack, for the mix-up, but some of what i have read in this thread along has me hopeful that one day we possibly soon will be seeing some classic 3D at Home

7. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

I hope so too Dana!
    Richard, the over/under 2 perf Spacevision system is superior to the side by side, anamorphic Stereovision, IMHO.
    No Spacevision equipment is needed for restoring THE BUBBLE. We're doing direct scans off the camera negative and recombining in post.
    Bob

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Oh, that is a treat to see.
    I haven't seen THE BUBBLE look so clean, clear, and sharp as in those frames.
    SpaceVision was known as a dim process.
    Are you getting a brighter image via the scan than was possible with theatrical projection?
    What made the Spacevision lens superior to the Stereovision, do you think?
    You don't mind expounding, do ya?

9. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Sorry, but I really don't know much about the lens or the optics.
    We're scanning directly off the camera negative, cleaning and re-aligning each shot to make the 3-D perfect.
    It has never looked this good before!
    Bob
    PS - This frame scan has been downsized for sharing on-line. The hi-rez image looks even better.

10. pinknik

pinknik Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    I believe Bob is referring to the Stereovision side-by-side format that was used to film THE STEWARDESSES. It had an anamorphic squeeze, but still only managed a 1.37:1 aspect ratio. I think Stereovision eventually had a system that was also over/under for a 2.35:1 projection ratio, as did Arrivision and several others. These systems would have been used for the whole 80's 3-D revival including Comin' at Ya!, Friday the 13th III, Amityville Horror 3-D, Jaws 3-D, etc.
    All the examples of 80's 3-D films that I've seen transferred to HD (Jaws 3-D and Friday the 13th) seem to suffer in comparison to that still of The Bubble. Dunno if that's down to optics or what.
    An old Starlog book had an interview with Murray Lerner who made Sea Dream with the Spacevision system. It has a quote from him saying that of all the 3-D systems he did test footage with, Spacevision's was the sharpest. Andy Warhol's Frankenstein was also shot with Spacevision, and I assume that Oboler's Domo Arigato may have been as well.
    There are some good movies out on blu-ray 3D right now, but I'm most excited about some of these older features finally showing up. I can finally retire some of my old field sequential, um, "found" DVD's. :)

11. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Thanks for clarifying that, Greg. As I mentioned at the start of this thread, my 3-D knowledge tends to diminish after THE BUBBLE in 1966.
    I wish you could see the test segment on an HD display. The 3-D is outstanding!
    Bob

12. pinknik

pinknik Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    I look forward to seeing it someday. I've got a field sequential DVD of it, but it leaves plenty to be desired.

13. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Oh, you'll be seeing it very soon Greg, that's for sure!
    Bob

14. moviebear1

moviebear1 Agent

Matt Spero
    Has there been any luck in locating the Stereophinic Soundtrack on Inferno?

15. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

There was some type of left/right channel audio back-up discovered on 35mm optical but that's all I've been told.
    Bob

16. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

The only film I ever saw projected in SpaceVision was Andy Warhol's Frankenstein when it first opened in NYC.
    A repugnant film but the 3-D was excellent.

17. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    This thread is a fascinating read so far. Thanks Bob, glad to have you sharing your expertise. I'm not familiar with many of the early 3D efforts, but I would love to be able to experience them on Blu-ray!

18. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Love it or hate it, FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN has eye-popping 3D. Almost literally. :) Just about my favorite 3D experience in a theater (NY's Film Forum, circa 1996).

19. Phoebus

Phoebus Stunt Coordinator

Any plans for the two Technicolor 3D's to be released on blu?
    MONEY FROM HOME and FLIGHT TO TANGIER?

20. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN does have very good 3-D, most of the time. The close-up shots are extremely hard on the eyes and this would need a shot by shot alignment to make it watchable.
    Tom, those two titles are owned by Paramount and I have not heard of any interest on their part to mine their 3-D treasures. They are very well photographed and would be relatively easy to master in HD.
    Bob