-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Oklahoma!""Carousel" "The King and I" coming to UK

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 of 92 Melaus

Melaus

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 18 2012 - 08:14 PM

Is there any update on BR releases for Carousal, Oklahoma and The King and I? Region unimportant in theses cases. Thankyou:rolleyes:

#42 of 92 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 19 2012 - 01:43 AM

The lack of news on these titles is quite depressing.

I see no hint of blu notifications on amazon.uk.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#43 of 92 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,830 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 19 2012 - 03:05 AM

I guess since Fox did the Marilyn box this summer and distributed the Bond box (plus with all of the other BIG releases slated for September and October from other studios), perhaps they didn't want these jewels to get swallowed up in hype from other studios for their big boxes. Keeping fingers crossed for a 2013 release for these movies on Blu-ray.

#44 of 92 Melaus

Melaus

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 20 2012 - 11:07 AM

The lack of news on these titles is quite depressing.  I see no hint of blu notifications on amazon.uk. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Great pick-up.....................How many will twig?

#45 of 92 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,123 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 20 2012 - 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

I guess since Fox did the Marilyn box this summer and distributed the Bond box (plus with all of the other BIG releases slated for September and October from other studios), perhaps they didn't want these jewels to get swallowed up in hype from other studios for their big boxes. Keeping fingers crossed for a 2013 release for these movies on Blu-ray.

I think Fox knows how many people want the films and what their expectations of the transfer are. It's just a question of time, and from a marketing perspective, 2013, being the 70th anniversary of Oklahoma's original Broadway opening, should be a perfect time to do it. I can wait for them to be done right, but meanwhile we still have The Sound of Music and South Pacific, whose treatment should be the gold standard for the rest of the films.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#46 of 92 Melaus

Melaus

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 20 2012 - 10:12 PM

Yes, quite agree. I have both Sound of Music & South Pacific on BR, but the three movies in question hold a special place for me as they were all ones that my parents took me to see when I was a kid and I've never forgotten them. Somehow the DVD's although reasonable quality just don't cut it on the big/little screen at home!

#47 of 92 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,527 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted October 23 2012 - 04:45 PM

The one I'm most looking forward to collecting on Blu is "The King and I". The colours and costumes will threaten to erupt off the screen if the transfer is handled correctly. And the soundtrack in full multi-track stereo... bliss...

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#48 of 92 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 23 2012 - 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by classicmovieguy 

The one I'm most looking forward to collecting on Blu is "The King and I". The colours and costumes will threaten to erupt off the screen if the transfer is handled correctly. And the soundtrack in full multi-track stereo... bliss...

+1  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#49 of 92 Melaus

Melaus

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 05:40 PM

Is there any indication as yet as to whether these R&H Musicals will appear in the U.S. or U.K. Market at the same time, or is there expected to be an earlier date in one of these areas?

#50 of 92 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,830 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 13 2012 - 12:21 AM

I've neither read nor heard anything about Blu-ray releases of these classics. And when we visited Fox a couple of weeks ago, and there was talk of their 2013 commitment to vault titles, nothing was shown to us or said about them.

(During the showing of Patton, some members who didn't want to see it again went outside the screening room, and maybe the subject came up as they talked with Fox home video executives.)

#51 of 92 Melaus

Melaus

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Matt

#52 of 92 noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 05:18 AM

Carousel was on TCMHD Thursday night - it looked and sounded amazing. The colors were stronger than I had ever seen though not as sharp as I would like. That could be the Cinemascope or cable HD broadcast limitations. However the sound was spectacular - vivid separations and beautiful soundstage. I cannot wait to get this. 

#53 of 92 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 05:48 AM

I just wrote to the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization about this very thing. They replied Wednesday (4/17) that they are "working on a release schedule" but have "no firm dates" at this time for "Oklahoma!", "Carousel", "State Fair" and "The King and I".

Edited by Rick Thompson, April 20 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#54 of 92 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 290 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted April 20 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hulu does have OKLAHOMA! (Todd-Ao version), KING AND I, and CAROUSEL available for in HD.  I was able to sample KING AND I free and it does look better than the dvd.  The problem with Hulu is that for these titles in full HD, you have to buy the movie. Has anyone seem the Hulu versions of these films and if so does it appear to be a new master?  I will probably wait until these are on blu ray myself. 

#55 of 92 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 918 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted April 20 2013 - 12:06 PM

Carousel was on TCMHD Thursday night - it looked and sounded amazing. The colors were stronger than I had ever seen though not as sharp as I would like. That could be the Cinemascope or cable HD broadcast limitations. However the sound was spectacular - vivid separations and beautiful soundstage. I cannot wait to get this. 

AFAIK TCM"HD" is still not true HD. I've read somewhere that they'll sometimes start with an HD master, downconvert it to SD, then upconvert it again. Something about a legal loophole that saves them some money. Weird.

#56 of 92 noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 07:12 PM

AFAIK TCM"HD" is still not true HD. I've read somewhere that they'll sometimes start with an HD master, downconvert it to SD, then upconvert it again. Something about a legal loophole that saves them some money. Weird.

That would make sense based upon what I saw. Having said that it still looks miles better than the DVD. It still must be a new HD master used IMHO. And the sound was much better as well.

#57 of 92 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,561 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 11:04 PM

That would make sense based upon what I saw. Having said that it still looks miles better than the DVD. It still must be a new HD master used IMHO. And the sound was much better as well.

That HD master probably is rather old as it has been around for years, something was already shown on Sky HD in 2008 and back then it also was a vast improvement over the shoddy DVD (not a big achievement). With all the compression that is sadly performed on OTA HD there is no way to tell how good this would really look but I was not stunned about what I saw and it was certainly not up to the standard of the airing of Cleopatra where you could see that there was a lot of detail and texture before the compression kicked in. Of course a lot has been said about how good these movies shot in Cinemascope 55 could really look but I would expect them to look a bit better than the early Cinemascope movies shot in 35mm like The Robe, that goes especially for The King and I. We will see once we get the Blu-ray I guess.

#58 of 92 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,830 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 21 2013 - 05:12 AM

But WHEN will we get them? There were rumors we'd get them last year, and then Fox surprised us and released a Marilyn Monroe collection instead. It's time now for the rest of their Rodgers and Hammerstein films.

• ahollis likes this

#59 of 92 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,561 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 09:32 AM

But WHEN will we get them? There were rumors we'd get them last year, and then Fox surprised us and released a Marilyn Monroe collection instead. It's time now for the rest of their Rodgers and Hammerstein films.

There is probably a lot of work to be done on these with the possibility of Fox starting all over again for Carousel and The King and I.

Oklahoma! is also very problematic so I would guess that 2014 is the earliest that we could expect all three of them.

#60 of 92 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,604 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 21 2013 - 10:12 AM

There is probably a lot of work to be done on these with the possibility of Fox starting all over again for Carousel and The King and I.
Oklahoma! is also very problematic so I would guess that 2014 is the earliest that we could expect all three of them.

Well, Blu-ray.com announced that Fox was working on them back in 2011. So I would expect they can be released when Fox wants to. Who knows they may go to Twlight Time.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users