247 replies to this topic

#181 of 248 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeWilson 

Rather than all this stuff with "Hinting" and "Crystal Balls" (Neil's hints are WAY too easy - You gotta make them harder!) How about just come out and say what you've heard on the grapevine, officially or through back-channels,to the extent you can.

Denny, that's exactly what I'm doing.  There are things I know and simply am not at liberty to talk about.  It's just that simple.

Gary "if/when I can be specific with details, I always am - I'm never here trying to purposely keep things in the dark" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#182 of 248 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 03:59 AM

Quote: Denny, that's exactly what I'm doing.  There are things I know and simply am not at liberty to talk about.  It's just that simple. Gary "if/when I can be specific with details, I always am - I'm never here trying to purposely keep things in the dark" O.

Ditto.

#183 of 248 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 04:01 AM

Rather than all this stuff with "Hinting" and "Crystal Balls" (Neil's hints are WAY too easy - You gotta make them harder!) How about just come out and say what you've heard on the grapevine, officially or through back-channels,to the extent you can.

Perhaps for the knowledgeable poster like yourself. Okay, next time I'll try to make you work a little harder. :)

#184 of 248 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 05:11 AM

How come the prints for THE TEXAN are so extraordinarily bright? I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it, but when the brightness is turned down (a lot) then they look very good. Couldn't TMG have done this correction themselves, timed the brightness better I mean? I'd imagine in its current state the show's a hard sell to any interested network, and it really ought to be broadcast again on TV as it's a damn fine series for the most part, as is otherwise the picture. Personally I think it's very nearly up there, storywise, with Boone's Paladin show.

#185 of 248 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

Ditto.

Us oracles have to stick together.  Posted Image

Gary "union rules prohibit me from saying more" O. 

#186 of 248 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 23 2011 - 09:17 AM

How come the prints for THE TEXAN are so extraordinarily bright? I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it, but when the brightness is turned down (a lot) then they look very good. Couldn't TMG have done this correction themselves, timed the brightness better I mean? I'd imagine in its current state the show's a hard sell to any interested network, and it really ought to be broadcast again on TV as it's a damn fine series for the most part, as is otherwise the picture. Personally I think it's very nearly up there, storywise, with Boone's Paladin show.

I don't understand why the contrast and brightness of shows issued on DVD are not more uniform. I guess it's a matter of wanting to spend the least amount of money and time. It is a very simple procedure to get these to proper levels using a waveform monitor and editing program. I am a videographer and have also transferred films for over twenty-five years. On every job I do, I use the waveform monitor and check the levels before I render my files for DVD. I remember writing the guy who puts out the Steve Canyon shows. They look beautiful except the stock footage shots which have the black level at about 15-20 IRE, giving them a low contrast look compared to the principle photography. It's a sorely neglected aspect of a lot of DVD releases, but such a simple fix.

#187 of 248 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted November 24 2011 - 07:36 AM

It's a great pity it wasn't done here to be honest as it's otherwise a very good looking release but perhaps a later re-release will correct it, especially if they find missing episodes in the meantime to include.

#188 of 248 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 26 2011 - 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow 

It's a great pity it wasn't done here to be honest as it's otherwise a very good looking release but perhaps a later re-release will correct it, especially if they find missing episodes in the meantime to include.

My tolerance level must be high because I've never really had an issue with it.

Gary "looking forward to watching Wide Country, which I just got in the mail a few days ago" O.

#189 of 248 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 26 2011 - 07:17 AM

I don't understand why the contrast and brightness of shows issued on DVD are not more uniform. I guess it's a matter of wanting to spend the least amount of money and time. It is a very simple procedure to get these to proper levels using a waveform monitor and editing program. I am a videographer and have also transferred films for over twenty-five years. On every job I do, I use the waveform monitor and check the levels before I render my files for DVD. I remember writing the guy who puts out the Steve Canyon shows. They look beautiful except the stock footage shots which have the black level at about 15-20 IRE, giving them a low contrast look compared to the principle photography. It's a sorely neglected aspect of a lot of DVD releases, but such a simple fix.

Good point. I'm not in the industry but I'd guess that it's like most things; if you have someone that's part of a project that has a personal interest or is an advocate of a particular DVD release, that would probably increase the odds that the final product will be better for that reason. I also agree about the "Steve Canyon" DVD's. John Ellis has done an outstanding job with the V1-2 sets. I didn't have a lot of Timeless releases on my shelf until the past couple of years. For the most part, the overall video Q is ok for me and that said, I rate my DVD video go/no-go line as a little tighter than a lot of the older show's collectors on this forum. I would like to see Timeless use episode-time encoding in their releases but that is a minor inconvenience for me as a collector.

My tolerance level must be high because I've never really had an issue with it. Gary "looking forward to watching Wide Country, which I just got in the mail a few days ago" O.

I hear you on this one, Gary. As you know, your tolerance point is higher than mine with the older shows' DVD sets but that gap has narrowed for me the last 2-3 years as the content factor so often offsets video xfr Q for me. "Looking forward to 'Wide Counry' as well" Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#190 of 248 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 27 2011 - 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis 

I hear you on this one, Gary. As you know, your tolerance point is higher than mine with the older shows' DVD sets but that gap has narrowed for me the last 2-3 years as the content factor so often offsets video xfr Q for me.
"Looking forward to 'Wide Counry' as well" Posted Image

Absolutely!  Wide Country is going to be a treat to watch, that much I'm sure of based on the couple of episodes I've seen in the past.  Someone in another thread asked about Arrest & Trial.  I've yet to pick it up, opting for a better price down the road.  So I can't comment on A/V quality and such.  But I will eventually have it in my collection one way or the other.

Gary "The Gene Autry Show S2 came out last week as well - but that's a very low priority release for me" O.

#191 of 248 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted November 27 2011 - 02:17 AM

I got "Arrest And Trial" for $45 from Deep Discount. The three episodes I've seen are very solid 16mm quality.

#192 of 248 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 27 2011 - 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P 

I got "Arrest And Trial" for $45 from Deep Discount. The three episodes I've seen are very solid 16mm quality.

Good to hear!  Posted Image

Gary "I was pretty sure they'd look okay, but an eyewitness account is always best" O.

#193 of 248 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 29 2011 - 01:48 AM

I'm expecting we'll hear about another Timeless goodie or two soon.

Gary "any one else get Wide Country yet - I've not watched too much because of the holidays, but its a great series and I'm happy to have it on my shelf" O.

#194 of 248 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,981 posts

Posted November 29 2011 - 04:52 AM

I'm expecting we'll hear about another Timeless goodie or two soon.  Gary "any one else get Wide Country yet - I've not watched too much because of the holidays, but its a great series and I'm happy to have it on my shelf" O.

Any Hints? :)

#195 of 248 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted November 29 2011 - 06:21 AM

Gary "any one else get Wide Country yet - I've not watched too much because of the holidays, but its a great series and I'm happy to have it on my shelf" O.

How's the picture quality? The usual adequate prints, like other early 60s Universal B&W shows on Timeless? I'm getting it as a Christmas present, so I don't get to see it for a while.

#196 of 248 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 30 2011 - 02:12 AM

Quote:

Any Hints? Posted Image

Wish I could, but the crystal ball wishes for me to keep it quite for now.  Sorry.  The main reason is that there is always a chance, small as it might be, that something can happen at the last moment to postpone or derail a release.  It's happened before with more than one Timeless set, so it's not unheard of.  And this is why, at times, I'm asked to keep things more low key.  But the couple of series I'm specifically thinking of are not going to be a shock or a big surprise anyway.  Just think Universal properties, from the 50's, that are essentially western in genre.  Plus, I think one or two have already been hinted at earlier in this thread.

Originally Posted by Guy Foulard 

How's the picture quality? The usual adequate prints, like other early 60s Universal B&W shows on Timeless? I'm getting it as a Christmas present, so I don't get to see it for a while.

Yes, Jason.  The prints are the typical stuff we've seen from Timeless over the last year or so.  Solid prints that are more than watchable.  Not remastered CBS-type stuff, but not like some of the earlier Timeless releases either.

Gary "wish Wide Country would have made a Christmas episode" O.

#197 of 248 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,981 posts

Posted November 30 2011 - 10:53 AM

Just think Universal properties, from the 50's, that are essentially western in genre.  Plus, I think one or two have already been hinted at earlier in this thread. 

I've actually lost track - How many 1950's Universal/MCA western properties haven't seen the light of day yet? In General, there were so many one-season/two-season westerns during the TV Westerns craze of the 1950's, sometimes it is hard to keep track of all of them,regardless of studio or network

#198 of 248 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 02:04 AM

Quote:

I've actually lost track - How many 1950's Universal/MCA western properties haven't seen the light of day yet?

Timeless has certainly made a big dent in that category, but there are still a few more.  Not many, but a few.  I'd also say you can expect them to keep releasing series that fit into that category (Uni stuff) that they've released previously in volume/best of sets.

Gary "the main thing is they continue to release 50's shows - which is always a good thing in my book" O.

#199 of 248 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 03:44 AM

Expecting to see more Wagon Train and Virginian releases in 2012. I wonder how they will handle Wagon Train season 7 (color) that was previously released as cut-episodes. It will be interesting to see if Universal has complete episodes to provide now and if the season gets re-released.

#200 of 248 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 05:25 AM

I hope they re-release Season 3 and 4 of Laramie with uncut episodes and better prints now that Season 2 is coming out.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users