What's new

iPad 3 strongly rumored for October (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
With the iPad 2 only six months old, without competition, selling like gangbusters, and supplies still not meeting demand, why would Apple release an iPad 3 in 2011? There's no profit in it. I could imagine Apple was working on an aggressive-release iPad 3 as a contingency against successful competition; but competition isn't successful.

My prediction: No way there will be an iPad 3 this year.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

With the iPad 2 only six months old, without competition, selling like gangbusters, and supplies still not meeting demand, why would Apple release an iPad 3 in 2011? There's no profit in it. I could imagine Apple was working on an aggressive-release iPad 3 as a contingency against successful competition; but competition isn't successful.

My prediction: No way there will be an iPad 3 this year.

I think there is motive to do an iPhone5. To get a 4G iPhone on the market.

But I don't think there is any motivation to do an iPad3. Maybe they announce it, but what pressure is there? Almost none. Meanwhile, if it's a major shift, then you're talking about buyers of current iPads being torqued.

My prediction: iPhone5 and an iPad2 (w/4G Support) but no other changes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
New iPhone sporting the iPad 2 internals, this Fall, no doubt. 4G? No idea.

iPad2 + 4G refresh? I could believe that. And I agree it would still be a "2".

No way, no how there's an iPad 2 Retina Display this year, no any other spec bump.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I agree for all the reasons above, however I think if they came out with a smaller tablet to go up against the upcoming 7" Amazon Tablet, that could happen.So maybe a smaller Ipad for the fall, and an Actual Ipad 3 next year. That would make sense since the rumors has a retina screen on the device, and right now a 7" retina screen is very possible, moreso than a 10.1 inch version of one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ThisIsMyNext.com reports in no uncertain terms there will an iPad RetinaDisplay this Fall.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/07/07/iphone-5-design-ipad-hd-iphone-4s/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Why, Dave, are you perhaps changing your stand on

the no more iPad revision this year?

I have been touting that there was going to be another

iPad at the end of the year before the launch of iPad 2.

That's because there were too many leaks at the time

from different sources stating that Apple was readying

two iPads in one year.

Yeah, I was taking a risk drumming up support for the

rumors, but I am guessing it's gonna come true.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I think the iPhone5 is a no brainer... I'm hoping for a iPad3 just because I skipped iPad2 and I'm jealous of my wife's iPad 2. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nope, still don't think it will happen :) I can't see the logic. But it's interesting that TIMN is standing by their sources. They're good tech writers. So we'll see who's right. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I believe the iPad HD. NOT the iPad 3. The iPad 2 stays, the HD gets released by its side at a higher price point. Retina display, possibly more RAM, probably 128GB Flash storage at the top. No 4G-LTE. That stuff is not ready for prime time. The smaller, low power chips aren'tout in quantity, and the networks themselves are non-existent. Not before 2012 I believe the HD because the rumors ( or "guess" in the case of Gruber) come from well connected sources, MC Siegler, Techrcrunch was another Spring source. But they all also agree this will not be the iPad 3, so Ron, your wrong there :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ted, that's the only perspective that make sense, an iPad 2 HD (Pro?) with better screen and higher price point to expand the product line, not replace current products. So a 32GB iPad HD starting at $749?

Note that Gruber's original conjecture was purely speculation, not based on any sources.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Ted Todorov said:
No 4G-LTE. That stuff is not ready for prime time. The smaller, low power chips aren'tout in quantity, and the networks themselves are non-existent. Not before 2012
Of course, if you live in one of the 75 "non-existent" markets where LTE is currently up and running (no-name backwater towns like New York, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and San Francisco), an LTE iPad and iPhone cannot come fast enough.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree with Marco, doesn't make sense to add to the 18 SKUs for iPad2 now. And it would be hard to reduce the number of SKUs by combining 3g modems. I say January for next iPad, would love to be wrong! http://www.marco.org/2011/07/08/iphone-5-ipad-3-speculation

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
New York, seriously? So right now I can take a 3G iPhone (AT&T) and a Verizon LTE device, and anywhere I can get 3G in all 5 boroughs I'll also be able to get LTE? Maybe so, but count me a sceptic. Anyway, the biggest problem for the iPad in the US isn't the lack of LTE, it is the lousiness of the 3G networks. In Italy right about now, an iPad speedtest on Vodaphone's 3G net produces 4.5mbps down. Price 19 Euros per month with a 3GB cap. On TIM, same price, 5GB cap. Trust me -- what you want isn't LTE but better networks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Even little Rochester has 4G (Verizon)! A friend, who's otherwise not a gadget person, bought an Android phone on V so he could get unlimited 4G. Likewise on MacBreak Weekly, uber Apple fan Alex Lindsey noted he's shopping for a 4G phone for the speed (which implies he's getting an Android phone). I didn't think 4G was a big deal -- solid 3G is pretty fast -- but apparently it's a thing both "normal" and geeky people know about and prioritize as a phone feature. I didn't think Apple would release a 4G iPhone this year, but waiting until next year might be too conservative. So perhaps this fall's iPhone will be 4G capable.

As for the iPad 3 : on The Talk Show, Gruber noted that he no longer thinks there'd be an iPad 2 revision this Fall. Apple still can't keep up with demand, so how could they introduce and manufacture a new model in the Fall?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Rochester is infinitely easier to wire for LTE than NYC. Also to my knowledge LTE is very rare outside the USA where most iOS devices are sold. As for Marco/Gruber's recent predictions: I'd be more inclined to believe them if it was a question of Apple *replacing* the iPad 2. It isn't. They also may have a good idea that they will have caught up with iPad 2 demand by the end of August. When is the new Brazil based plant coming online? I doubt there would be a separate CDMA/GSM model for the 3G version as it is likely to have the same radio chipset as the "universal" iPhone 5, which will lessen the number of models for the HD. Heck, maybe it will start out with one max capacity HD iPad model. Why rush? Nail the Android, WebOs, RIM, Windows tablet coffin shut for anything but the profitless lowest end and take attention away from the only real competitor, the coming Kindle tablet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr

..., an LTE iPad and iPhone cannot come fast enough.

I just checked my 3G with SpeedTest, and I get about 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. It's not cable modem (well, it is for upload), but it's quite good for most websites and Facebook access. Not that more speed isn't nice, but what is the urgency in practice for 4G? What are people waiting on in their downloads, that makes 4G feel urgent? Netflix? Hulu Plus? Downloading the TomTom app? :) (And I should ask my buddy about this that just got his 4G Verizon phone, too)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks