Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"West Side Story" blu-ray Street Date:October 17th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
206 replies to this topic

#21 of 207 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 17 2011 - 11:00 AM

The sync was off noticeably on the dvd and wasn't corrected. I have an auto corrector on the blu ray player so I had to use that for the sync during this song. It was probably never perfect though, since Nixon actually sang the song.

#22 of 207 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 11:24 AM

entracte, yes.. which runs nicely into the following song tonight in sync? not sure.. not looked at the offending previous dvd to see how out of synch that one got.. nothing drastic on the blu, but I dont know how it compares.

On the dvd the out- of -sync was terrible. Haven't seen the blu yet and purchase of the blu will depend on what everyone says...

#23 of 207 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 11:33 AM

Natalie Wood filmed the song to her own pre-recorded playback.  Marni Nixon over dudded it in post production.

Unfortunately, Natalie was not a strong singer, but even worse she was out of sync during filming. In order for Marni to match Natalie's lips the song would be out of tempo. When Marni came in to over dubbed the sound mixers told her to fix the tempo problems and so in order to stay on the beat she couldn't always match the lip movement. Unless Richard Beymer's lips are out of sync the problem it is built into the negative. If Richard's movements are out of sync then the sound is off during the transfer to disc (Sound is on a separate file from the image)

#24 of 207 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 17 2011 - 11:44 AM

His movements were way off too, especially when he spoke "Oh, Maria. See only me."

#25 of 207 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,938 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 02:04 PM

Im not sure what is happening here. I go to Amazon and dealers all over the net who say ALL blu rays of West side story are due out onNov. 15. I call local dealers and they tell me the same thing. How are guys getting the blu rays early.

#26 of 207 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,525 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 17 2011 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Caps 

Im not sure what is happening here. I go to Amazon and dealers all over the net who say ALL blu rays of West side story are due out onNov. 15.
I call local dealers and they tell me the same thing.
How are guys getting the blu rays early.
The US release date is 11/15. The UK release date (as noted in this thread's title) was today (10/17). I'm guessing Tom Walker, who is reporting he has the disc, either lives in the UK or imported it from Amazon.co.uk or another online dealer.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#27 of 207 OFFLINE   Phoebus

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 09:09 PM

The US release date is 11/15. The UK release date (as noted in this thread's title) was today (10/17). I'm guessing Tom Walker, who is reporting he has the disc, either lives in the UK or imported it from Amazon.co.uk or another online dealer. 

Indeed, London calling, from my side. And I pre-ordered the movie via Amazon UK, so its arrival was a bit out of the blue yesterday, as I hadn't checked my dates. As to the placement of the Intermission, I think it works fine - between Tony's solitude after rumble is planned, to an nice entracte of "I feel pretty" leading straight into the dressing shop scene.

#28 of 207 OFFLINE   Phoebus

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 09:20 PM

btw the UK disc would seem to be region free - the ABC hexagons on the disc.

#29 of 207 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,492 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 18 2011 - 04:06 AM

Dear kindly Sergeant Krupke
You gotta understand
It's just our bringin' upke
That gets us out of hand
Our mothers all are junkies
Our fathers all are drunks
Golly Moses, naturally we're punks!

Picked up the blu-ray yesterday from my local HMV, £15 2 discs. Excellent musical. I'll watch it at the weekend.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#30 of 207 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,106 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 18 2011 - 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Caps 

Is the song TONIGHT back in sync ?

I would certainly hope so, given the amount of work put into restoring the original 6-track audio; see http://www.in70mm.co...0/wss/index.htm.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#31 of 207 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 18 2011 - 07:57 AM

I would certainly hope so, given the amount of work put into restoring the original 6-track audio; see http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/wss/index.htm. 

The original 6 track recording that was rediscovered has nothing to do with the blu-ray.

#32 of 207 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,292 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 18 2011 - 08:07 AM

Happy 50th!  West Side Story opened in New York on October 18, 1961.

Can anyone tell us which theater it played at?  Apologies if that's already been mentioned.

#33 of 207 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 18 2011 - 08:29 AM

Happy 50th!  West Side Story opened in New York on October 18, 1961.

Can anyone tell us which theater it played at?  Apologies if that's already been mentioned.

The Rivoli Theatre...Home of...West Side Story and among others... Around the World In 80 Days Oklahoma! The Alamo Cleopatra The Sound Of Music The Sand Pebbles The Big Fisherman Star!

#34 of 207 ONLINE   Phoebus

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted October 18 2011 - 09:09 AM

The original 6 track recording that was rediscovered has nothing to do with the blu-ray.

It would be nice to have this absolutely confirmed by the studio. Seems odd to have the resource and to not include it, particularly as rumour has it that it has been showing digitally with this soundtrack recently, including BFI london.

#35 of 207 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,474 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 18 2011 - 09:44 AM

The boxed set on Amazon has 4 discs and the regular edition has 3. What is the missing disc? A DVD copy? Does the regular edition have all the on-disc goodies that the boxed set has? BTW, on Amazon, it looks like they're using the original art. I have to admit I liked that image that put the original logo on a brick wall and used a low perspective. Quite striking.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#36 of 207 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,106 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 18 2011 - 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Rossen 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoebus 

It would be nice to have this absolutely confirmed by the studio. Seems odd to have the resource and to not include it, particularly as rumour has it that it has been showing digitally with this soundtrack recently, including BFI london.
From the linked article:

Once the elements had been evaluated, Project Manager Ron Bonk and Project Coordinator Jordan Perry created a preservation/restoration matrix outlining the various preferred sources and the options they offered. MGM determined that restored 6-track and 4-track composite elements, as well as a 6-track M&E with vocals, should be created.

As Phoebus indicated, MGM would be cutting off its nose to spite its face if it didn't use the restored elements in some fashion or another. While a 6-track mag cannot be replicated in a home theatre, the elements described could be used to craft an excellent 7.1 HT mix.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#37 of 207 OFFLINE   Phoebus

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted October 18 2011 - 09:54 AM

the DTS sound married to the imagery has had quite an emotional effect upon me, particularly during the dance sequences. never had WSS affect me like that. Soundtrack certainly "feels" richer.

#38 of 207 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 18 2011 - 01:25 PM

Quote:

From the linked article: 

As Phoebus indicated, MGM would be cutting off its nose to spite its face if it didn't use the restored elements in some fashion or another. While a 6-track mag cannot be replicated in a home theatre, the elements described could be used to craft an excellent 7.1 HT mix.

This is all very interesting. I did see WWS early on during its initial Roadshow engagement in NYC so I'm sure I saw the film in Panavision 70 and 6 track stereo. The discovery of the original 6 track recording was celebrated in the trade papers. Of course there are today few theatres that can actually play 6 track stereo with 5 speakers spread across the scope of the screen. But the question must again be asked about the lip sync problems with the Tonight number. I really don't recall it being a problem so many years ago(1961)(and I've seen WSS in regular run theatres). I would also believet that the film makers(Robert Wise and team) would have corrected this problem prior to such an important release. If the rediscovered tracks are being utilized did they in fact have the lip sync problem? I don't think so. Does the blu-ray have the lip sync problem? Is it on the 'original 6 track' married to the film? Can anyone make sense of this?

#39 of 207 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 18 2011 - 01:56 PM

While MGM/UA initially planned on using the found 6 tracks for the Blu-ray release it was decided that the 35mm 4-channel Mag tracks delivered better sound, so that is what they used to get a 5.1 track for the Blu-ray release.  I do not know the reason why and have not been able to find out.  I am assuming that it was easier and cost effective to do it this way.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#40 of 207 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 18 2011 - 04:29 PM

As long as it sounds good, I'm fine with whatever they used. And as long as nothing is missing.