"West Side Story" blu-ray Street Date:October 17th

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by GMpasqua, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Guest

The sync was off noticeably on the dvd and wasn't corrected. I have an auto corrector on the blu ray player so I had to use that for the sync during this song. It was probably never perfect though, since Nixon actually sang the song.

2. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

On the dvd the out- of -sync was terrible. Haven't seen the blu yet and purchase of the blu will depend on what everyone says...

3. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Natalie Wood filmed the song to her own pre-recorded playback. Marni Nixon over dudded it in post production.

Unfortunately, Natalie was not a strong singer, but even worse she was out of sync during filming. In order for Marni to match Natalie's lips the song would be out of tempo. When Marni came in to over dubbed the sound mixers told her to fix the tempo problems and so in order to stay on the beat she couldn't always match the lip movement. Unless Richard Beymer's lips are out of sync the problem it is built into the negative. If Richard's movements are out of sync then the sound is off during the transfer to disc (Sound is on a separate file from the image)

4. Guest

His movements were way off too, especially when he spoke "Oh, Maria. See only me."

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Im not sure what is happening here. I go to Amazon and dealers all over the net who say ALL blu rays of West side story are due out onNov. 15. I call local dealers and they tell me the same thing. How are guys getting the blu rays early.

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The US release date is 11/15. The UK release date (as noted in this thread's title) was today (10/17). I'm guessing Tom Walker, who is reporting he has the disc, either lives in the UK or imported it from Amazon.co.uk or another online dealer.

7. Phoebus

Phoebus Stunt Coordinator

Indeed, London calling, from my side. And I pre-ordered the movie via Amazon UK, so its arrival was a bit out of the blue yesterday, as I hadn't checked my dates. As to the placement of the Intermission, I think it works fine - between Tony's solitude after rumble is planned, to an nice entracte of "I feel pretty" leading straight into the dressing shop scene.

8. Phoebus

btw the UK disc would seem to be region free - the ABC hexagons on the disc.

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Dear kindly Sergeant Krupke
    You gotta understand
    It's just our bringin' upke
    That gets us out of hand
    Our mothers all are junkies
    Our fathers all are drunks
    Golly Moses, naturally we're punks!

Picked up the blu-ray yesterday from my local HMV, £15 2 discs. Excellent musical. I'll watch it at the weekend.

10. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill

I would certainly hope so, given the amount of work put into restoring the original 6-track audio; see http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/wss/index.htm.

11. Paul Rossen

The original 6 track recording that was rediscovered has nothing to do with the blu-ray.

12. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Happy 50th! West Side Story opened in New York on October 18, 1961.

Can anyone tell us which theater it played at? Apologies if that's already been mentioned.

13. Paul Rossen

The Rivoli Theatre...Home of...West Side Story and among others... Around the World In 80 Days Oklahoma! The Alamo Cleopatra The Sound Of Music The Sand Pebbles The Big Fisherman Star!

14. Phoebus

It would be nice to have this absolutely confirmed by the studio. Seems odd to have the resource and to not include it, particularly as rumour has it that it has been showing digitally with this soundtrack recently, including BFI london.

15. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    The boxed set on Amazon has 4 discs and the regular edition has 3. What is the missing disc? A DVD copy? Does the regular edition have all the on-disc goodies that the boxed set has? BTW, on Amazon, it looks like they're using the original art. I have to admit I liked that image that put the original logo on a brick wall and used a low perspective. Quite striking.

16. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill

From the linked article:
    As Phoebus indicated, MGM would be cutting off its nose to spite its face if it didn't use the restored elements in some fashion or another. While a 6-track mag cannot be replicated in a home theatre, the elements described could be used to craft an excellent 7.1 HT mix.

17. Phoebus

the DTS sound married to the imagery has had quite an emotional effect upon me, particularly during the dance sequences. never had WSS affect me like that. Soundtrack certainly "feels" richer.

18. Paul Rossen

This is all very interesting. I did see WWS early on during its initial Roadshow engagement in NYC so I'm sure I saw the film in Panavision 70 and 6 track stereo. The discovery of the original 6 track recording was celebrated in the trade papers. Of course there are today few theatres that can actually play 6 track stereo with 5 speakers spread across the scope of the screen. But the question must again be asked about the lip sync problems with the Tonight number. I really don't recall it being a problem so many years ago(1961)(and I've seen WSS in regular run theatres). I would also believet that the film makers(Robert Wise and team) would have corrected this problem prior to such an important release. If the rediscovered tracks are being utilized did they in fact have the lip sync problem? I don't think so. Does the blu-ray have the lip sync problem? Is it on the 'original 6 track' married to the film? Can anyone make sense of this?

19. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    While MGM/UA initially planned on using the found 6 tracks for the Blu-ray release it was decided that the 35mm 4-channel Mag tracks delivered better sound, so that is what they used to get a 5.1 track for the Blu-ray release. I do not know the reason why and have not been able to find out. I am assuming that it was easier and cost effective to do it this way.

20. Guest

As long as it sounds good, I'm fine with whatever they used. And as long as nothing is missing.