Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 5-31-11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,188 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2011 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image

The Features

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/
– A Clockwork Orange – 1971

– Rio Lobo – 1970

–Ron Howard (American Graffiti – 1973)

–Maricel Alvarez (Biutiful– 2010)

–Megan Fox (Passion Play– 2010)

–Ryan O'Neal & Marisa Berenson (Barry Lyndon – 1975)

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

SD-DVD TITLE                                                                    Amazon BestBuy Target
Abbott & Costello Show: Hit the Road $8.99 $8.99  
American Graffiti SE $15.99 $14.99  
Biutiful $17.99 $22.99 $17.99
Cross $23.49 $24.99  
Drive Angry 3-D $14.99 $14.99 $13.99
Ellery Queen Mysteries: Disappearing Dagger $8.99 $8.99  
Fabulous Beekman Boys $12.99 $12.99  
Legend $12.49 $9.99  
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Animated) $11.99 $12.99  
MusiCares Tribute to Neil Young $14.99 $13.99  
A Nightmare in Las Cruces $21.99 $24.99  
Passion Play $14.99 $19.99  
Psych: Season 5 $38.99 $34.99 $34.99
Rookie Blue: Season 1 $20.99 $24.99  
SGU - Stargate Universe: Final Season $31.99 $29.99  
Stanley Kubrick: Essential Collection $55.99 $89.99  
Swamp People: Season 1 $10.99 $19.99  
True Blood: Season 3 $32.99 $32.99 $29.99
Undertow $24.95 $19.99  
The Waiting City $14.99 $19.99  

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

BLU-RAY TITLE                                                                  Amazon BestBuy Target
American Graffiti SE $24.49 $24.99  
Back to School (5-29-11 Best Buy Exclusive)   $9.99  
Barry Lyndon (Amazon Exclusive) $13.99    
Big Jake $15.99 $19.99  
Biutiful $25.99 $29.99 $22.99
The Cat O'Nine Tails $14.99 $24.99  
Chicago Cubs: Heart and Soul of Chicago $20.99 $9.99  
City Slickers (5-29-11 Best Buy Exclusive)   $9.99  
A Clockwork Orange (40th Anniversary) $25.99 $29.99  
Drive Angry 3-D $18.99 $14.99 $19.99
Drive Angry 3-D (3-D) $24.99 $19.99  
The Firm (5-29-11 Best Buy Exclusive)   $12.99  
Get Shorty (5-29-11 Best Buy Exclusive)   $9.99  
Legend (Ultimate Edition) $18.99 $19.99  
Lolita (Amazon Exclusive) $14.99    
A Man Called Horse $16.99 $19.99  
Maverick (5-29-11 Best Buy Exclusive)   $12.99  
Midnight Cowboy (5-29-11 Best Buy Exclusive)   $14.99  
MusiCares Tribute to Neil Young $16.99 $16.99  
Once Upon a Time in the West $15.99 $15.99  
Passion Play $15.99 $24.99  
Rio Lobo $16.99 $19.99  
Rookie Blue: Season 1 $25.99 $44.99  
Stanley Kubrick Limited Edition Collection $104.99 $129.99  
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) (5-29-11 BB Exclusive)   $14.99  
True Blood: Season 3 $39.99 $39.99 $34.99
Undertow $29.95 $24.99  
Wild Wild West (5-29-11 Best Buy Exclusive)   $12.99  

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

Stanley Kubrick Essential Collection  (DVD):  Spartacus, Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut.

Stanley Kubrick Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray):  Spartacus, Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut.

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Amazon and Best Buy each have a number of Blu-ray EXCLUSIVE TITLES for sale this week.  See the grid above.

--Best Buy has an EXCLUSIVE MAGNET when you buy True Blood: Season 3 on Blu-ray or DVD.   Minimum of 2 per store.  No rainchecks.  While supplies last.

--Since there is always talk about these particular promotional items...Best Buy will, again, have Tru Blood Bottled Drink for $2.99 a pop and Tru Blood T-Shirts for $12.99 apiece.   Minimum of 2 per store.  No rainchecks.  While supplies last.

--Best Buy has seasons 1 & 2 of True Blood on sale for $37.99/DVD and $44.99/BD apiece.

--Best Buy is advertising FREE MOVIE CASH to see X-Men First Class when you buy ANY of the following X-Men movies on DVD or Blu-ray:   X-Men, X-2, X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.  $3.99/DVD, $7.99/BD.  In Theaters June 3.  In store only.  Redeemable for up to $12 ticket value at participating theaters.  Offer expires 8-31-11 and is available in store only.  Details on marked packages.  Selection varies by store.  No rainchecks.  While supplies last.

--Best Buy has Kung Fu Panda on sale for $14.99/BD.

--And, BBs "Trade and Save" promotion continues this week.  Bring in any used DVD to Customer Service and receive $5 toward select Blu-ray movies.  Choose from more than 135 titles.  The Blu-ray titles shown this week are:

$9.99>>$4.99:  Napolean Dynamite, Dawn of the Dead.

$14.99>>$9.99:  Ronin, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

$19.99>>$14.99:  Due Date, Faster, Kick-Ass, Cars.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--Target, this week, has "Signature Edition" copies of True Blood: Season 3 (in both DVD & Blu-ray) featuring EXCLUSIVE PACKAGING with three different covers available featuring show characters Bill, Sookie & Eric.  Pricing is the same as the standard versions in each format.   Quantities limited, no rainchecks.

--And, Target is also having a 50% off sale on the first two seasons of True Blood (I'm guessing DVD only).  Regularly $39.99, SALE $19.99 each.  Available now.

--Target has the following TV on DVD on sale for $19.99 (titles shown and selected others):  Castle: Season 2, Psych: S4, How I Met Your Mother: S5, Boondocks: S3, Californication: S3, and "TV Double Packs" of Bones: S 1&2 and Family Guy: Volumes 3&4.

--The following Blu-ray discs are $13 this week @ Target:  Ghostbusters, Kingdom of Heaven, The Patriot & Blackhawk Down.

--Target Odds and Ends: Lists of DVDs for $4.75 and $10.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 28 2011 - 04:06 PM

The first two X-Men movies on Blu for $7.99 plus free movie cash for First Class? Pretty sweet deal.

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,188 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2011 - 04:11 PM

I might try to get to BB tomorrow for City Slickers for $9.99.  That's a film that gets a fair amount of replay at our house.  I wonder what the transfer will look like?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 28 2011 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Mike.

Wow I was down for Legend and Rio Lobo this week, until I saw the list of exclusives.  Back to School, Get Shorty, City Slickers and Maverick will all be mine tomorrow, along with a scolding from my wife....

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 28 2011 - 04:37 PM

"Best Buy will, again, have Tru Blood Bottled Drink for $2.99 a pop and Tru Blood T-Shirts for $12.99 apiece.   Minimum of 2 per store.  No rainchecks.  While supplies last."

FYI, the HBO Store recently changed from glass bottles of True Blood (like on the show) to plastic bottles (not like on the show). That may mean that Best Buy will also be getting the plastic versions. Crazy change -- people weren't buying these for the drink inside.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 28 2011 - 04:41 PM

With a little luck, I'll be able to make my first Best Buy run in over 6 weeks this week (not to mention shower, drive and exercise).  Taxi Driver looks to be 14.99 on Blu again and the Scream movies are still dirt cheap.  So yeah...I may just treat myself after the cast comes off but before I make it into work Tuesday.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Rocky F

Rocky F

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted May 28 2011 - 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Brisby 

The first two X-Men movies on Blu for $7.99 plus free movie cash for First Class? Pretty sweet deal.

You ain't kidding, I haven't bothered upgrading my DVDs of those movies, but this is perfect!

Rocky

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 28 2011 - 04:59 PM

For those interested, Best Buy also has an exclusive with the original, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three and Midnight Cowboy.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,188 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2011 - 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

For those interested, Best Buy also has an exclusive with the original, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three and Midnight Cowboy.

Thanks, Robert.  Both of those titles somehow got by me completely.

Both are listed at bb.com for $14.99 and are now listed in the OP.  Posted Image

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted May 28 2011 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, that X-Men movie cash offer seems crazy and may be much too tempting for me to resist double-dipping on X3 (for the slight PQ upgrade and the extras, which was barebones on the original version I have) while I'm there to pick up a few of the new exclusives and probably a couple others from the trade-in offer. Posted Image

And at the rate things are going, I'll probably just hold off for a bit to see how pricing goes for certain catalog titles like OUATITW and Barry Lyndon (although the latter's an Amazon exclusive).  Anyone know how long BL will remain an Amazon exclusive?

And thanks much for another WRU, Mike. Posted Image

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,644 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 28 2011 - 07:48 PM

I'm excited to see "Once Upon A Time..." in HD and may violate my pricing rules...It's pretty darn close to my threshold.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 28 2011 - 11:45 PM

I'm also interested in BB's exclusive Blu release of The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3: The Good Version, as the DVD version is an ancient, non-anamorphic laserdisc transfer.

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 28 2011 - 11:50 PM

I bought the following from BB.  The Firm is still listed as coming soon, but keep checking everyday as the release date is still 05-29-11.

The Taking of Pehlam One Two Three 9.99

Midnight Cowboy 9.99

Get Shorty 9.99

Back to School 9.99

Maverick 12.99

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 12:04 AM

True Blood S3!  Woohoo!  Can't wait!

Thanks, Mike!

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   timmytimmy

timmytimmy

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 01:12 AM

In a perfect world, Clockwork Orange's cover would look exactly like that beautiful promo poster Mike dug up. Amazing. Last week of nothing for me. Holding out for True Grit and Breaking Bad S3 next week. I look forward to the great work on the roundup for those. Thanks , Mike!

#16 of 38 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 29 2011 - 03:40 AM

I'll pick up True Blood: Season Three Blu-ray this week and when American Graffiti comes down a little in price, I'll grab that too. Thanks for the prices! :)

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 
I bought the following from BB.  The Firm is still listed as coming soon, but keep checking everyday as the release date is still 05-29-11.

The Taking of Pehlam One Two Three 9.99

Midnight Cowboy 9.99

Get Shorty 9.99

Back to School 9.99

Maverick 12.99

So they didn't actually have The Firm in stock for the sale?

Guess maybe I'll just order that for in-store pickup (to lock in that sale price) then...  Hmmm... looks like we can't (pre)order that on their site anymore...

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 10:33 AM

Just swung by my nearest BB and picked up Maverick, City Slickers, Get Shorty *and* The Firm on BD. Not sure why the site listed The Firm as coming soon, but my nearest BB had a bunch of them. Of course, they did also erroneously email me to say they couldn't find City Slickers and Get Shorty even though I found a few of each at the store.

Also picked up Taxi Driver and Hoosiers on BD via their trade-in program. Would've gone for more, but the CSR oddly would not accept R rated DVDs for the program -- well, that plus I mistakenly brought a DVD that was a promo title w/ no UPC code. Not too big a deal since nothing else I wanted was priced all that great anyway plus I was already buying quite a few BDs.

_Man_

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 29 2011 - 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool 

Just swung by my nearest BB and picked up Maverick, City Slickers, Get Shorty *and* The Firm on BD. Not sure why the site listed The Firm as coming soon, but my nearest BB had a bunch of them. Of course, they did also erroneously email me to say they couldn't find City Slickers and Get Shorty even though I found a few of each at the store.

Also picked up Taxi Driver and Hoosiers on BD via their trade-in program. Would've gone for more, but the CSR oddly would not accept R rated DVDs for the program -- well, that plus I mistakenly brought a DVD that was a promo title w/ no UPC code. Not too big a deal since nothing else I wanted was priced all that great anyway plus I was already buying quite a few BDs.

_Man_

Thanks as I'm going to pickup my order tomorrow so I'll check for The Firm myself at my local BB.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 29 2011 - 12:43 PM

My Best Buy had Maverick, but not the three MGM titles.  In fact they didn't even make it to the warehouse that serves Washington state, so there are none to be had here.  I got rain checks just in case.