Weekly RoundUp 5-31-11 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

My Best Buy had Maverick, but not the three MGM titles. In fact they didn't even make it to the warehouse that serves Washington state, so there are none to be had here. I got rain checks just in case.

That really sucks!

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My BB also had copies of The Firm available.

I picked up City Slickers and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) for $9.99 apiece.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also stopped by my lone major Blockbuster in the area today.

Besides the 5/$20 blu sale, they also had boxes of blus for just $2.99 apiece. Some really nice titles, too.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the Weekly Round-Up Mike.

No new releases for purchase on my list this week, but I'll be renting Biutiful.

I did pick up X-Men, X2: X-Men United, and X-Men: The Last Stand all on BD at Best Buy today. Scored the Hollywood Movie Money on all three. Here is my comprehensive cost/benefit analysis for this purchase:

Purchase price $7.99 < $12.00 for a Movie Ticket (Evening ticket prices for my local Edwards Theater / Regal Cinemas is now $11.50)

[COLOR= #ff0000]HEADS-UP FOR ANYONE BUYING THE X-MEN BLU-RAYS FOR THE MOVIE TICKETS:[/COLOR] The code for your Hollywood Movie Money in NOT inside the BD case. It is on the back of the package sticker, so DO NOT discard the shrink wrap. I unwrapped the first one, threw the shrink wrap in the trash can, and then looked for a voucher inside the case. When I discovered that it wasn't in there I checked the packaging and noticed the redemption code on the back of the sticker.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was able to buy The Firm when I picked up my order from Best Buy. They appeared to have several copies of that title.

Crawdaddy

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers
[COLOR= #ff0000]HEADS-UP FOR ANYONE BUYING THE X-MEN BLU-RAYS FOR THE MOVIE TICKETS:[/COLOR] The code for your Hollywood Movie Money in NOT inside the BD case. It is on the back of the package sticker, so DO NOT discard the shrink wrap. I unwrapped the first one, threw the shrink wrap in the trash can, and then looked for a voucher inside the case. When I discovered that it wasn't in there I checked the packaging and noticed the redemption code on the back of the sticker.

This has been the case for several years now. The first time I found a "free ticket" that had to be printed off the internet was when I bought Sweeney Todd in early 2008 and couldn't find the free ticket for The Ruins until I checked the sticker on the shrinkwrap. Maybe they were getting complaints about physical tickets inside the cases scratching up the discs somehow. That's what happened when I bought the SE of The Frighteners back in 2005...it was one of those terrible "flipper" discs, and the free ticket for King Kong scuffed the surface of the disc so bad I had to return it to the store for a new copy...a grand total of three times

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brisby said:
Maybe they were getting complaints about physical tickets inside the cases scratching up the discs somehow.
It's probably because they can just take existing stock sitting in the warehouse and put a sticker on it. That way, they don't even need to spend the time or expense on putting a ticket inside the case.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ok, help me make a decision here. Was planning on getting the new Clockwork Orange, but considering the 25.99 price on amazon is like a quarter of the price for the whole Kubrick Blu-Ray set, I'm thinking about just getting the whole thing. I already own 2001, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and the original release of Clockwork Orange on Blu. But considering I can probably hock those at Best Buy or eBay (hopefully I can get like $5 apiece). Would it make sense to go that route and eat maybe another $50 for four movies I don't yet have on Blu, and, from what I understand, a collectible book (and yeah, I know the Spartacus transfer is widely maligned).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was in Costco the other day, and they had the Rocky and X-Men BD collections for $28.99 apiece (might've been $38.99, but I think it was the former), and each had *two* stickers on the package for up to $12 movie cash for the new X-Men movie.

I think. My memory is a little hazy, but if you happen to be in Costco anyway, take a look.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Picked up the X-Men trilogy at BB today (yes, even the painfully disappointing Last Stand), and printed out my three free tickets for First Class.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I just got back from my local BB and in addition to not having any of the original three movies in stock, I was told that the "free movie cash" for each individual title was an advertising mistake and it was only supposed to be one ticket for the overpriced trilogy pack. Now I don't understand the purpose of selling what amounts to be a $12 movie ticket for $8 and toss in a free blu-ray movie so either my local BB has it wrong or there are a lot of lucky people out there that got the deal before their local BB figured out the mistake.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just doublechecked, and the weekly ad (as shown on their website) indicates *any* of the 4 X-Men movies on either DVD or BD qualifies for the movie cash -- yes, it apparently includes the Wolverine origins movie. And the ad doesn't even give any indications about the trilogy boxset at all.

Now, the ad doesn't explicitly say you get one movie cash for each title you buy, but if they're just putting the movie cash in/on the packaging, then I don't see why there should be any limitations on that unless they explicitly say so somewhere.

So sounds to me the BB clerk just didn't know what he/she was talking about (as usual)...

One thing though. There's no raincheck and the offer is only good while supplies last, so they could've just told you that and be done w/ it, if they were indeed out...

_Man_

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
The clerks point was the weekly ad had a misprint and BB had posted a correction, not that I was misinterpreting the weekly ad. He seemed to indicate he would show it to me if they had actually had any of the individual movies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... Judging by how the ad looks and reads, seems hard to believe it's merely a misprint (in the literal sense anyway). If it's a mistake, then it's most likely more than just a misprint. I don't doubt it could be mistake of some sort given how crazy the deal seems, but I'm guessing the mistake has more to do w/ misinformed/confused marketing decisionmaking on combining the movie cash offer w/ the bargain bin price than an actual misprint.

Another thing is that if it's just a misprint, one wouldn't think they would go thru w/ actual execution of the deal for multiple days w/ actual stock having the movie cash added to them. If it was a simple misprint, then all those single titles probably would not have had any actual movie cash in/on them.

As for why they'd do anything like that (outside of a mistake), well, these retail superchains are known to do loss leader type deals. That plus these titles have been out for a long while now -- and maybe they have tons of excess inventory that they want/need to clear out anyway. Also, maybe the movie cash is largely (or wholey) subsidized by the studios -- and there could still be enough incentive to use such titles and the big screen cross-promo to help nudge more consumers into the BD market w/ such offers while also helping give the box office situation a bit of an artificial boost particularly since the X-Men franchise has gotten deflated a good deal w/ the last 2 flicks. Of course, I'm just speculating w/ these ideas off the top of my head, but they aren't exactly far-fetched me thinks.

Anyhoo...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I dropped by my nearby BB last night, and they still had a few of the X-Men BDs w/ movie cash on their shelves -- I didn't see any copies of X2 (w/ or w/out movie cash) though. Not sure if it matters, but all those single title BDs also have the "Great Movies, Great Moments" cardboard front added to the packaging (under the shrinkwrap) -- the trilogy boxset did not have this. And yes, some are missing the movie cash, but that applied to *both* the single titles and the trilogy boxset.

I didn't check w/ the store clerks to see if they have more inventory (w/ movie cash) in the "back", but checking the website suggests to me that they were probably very low or completely out (of the sale priced inventory) by now. Interestingly, the site also has additional full priced listings for online order w/ no in-store pickup -- perhaps, that's a sign that the sale was indeed to help clear out excess inventory.

Also, I noticed that a couple other Fox titles had the same movie cash, eg. Live Free or Die Hard. And in the case of LFoDH, it's priced at $9.99, which is still less than the movie cash value (unless you happen to live somewhere that still have ticket prices below $10).

_Man_

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A co-worker and I swung into Best Buy at lunch (ya know, I can drive for the first time in six weeks, so I am driving!). While the 3 movie Bond sets are cheaper, I opted for the single disc releases of From Russia with Love, The World is Not Enough, The Man with the Golden Gun, Thunderball, Goldfinger and Licence to Kill. Also grabbed Return of the Joker and Taxi Driver...just cuz I can.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jason_V

A co-worker and I swung into Best Buy at lunch (ya know, I can drive for the first time in six weeks, so I am driving!). While the 3 movie Bond sets are cheaper, I opted for the single disc releases of From Russia with Love, The World is Not Enough, The Man with the Golden Gun, Thunderball, Goldfinger and Licence to Kill. Also grabbed Return of the Joker and Taxi Driver...just cuz I can.

Nice cast....what happened?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Adam, I fell on April 19 and fractured my elbow. After surgery to insert some wires and other fun metal which will set off airport metal detectors, it was 2 weeks in a splint and 4 with the cast. I have a removeable brace on now through the middle of July.

Here's a lesson: never fall. It sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks