Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Recommend Thriller Episode?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 892 posts

Posted February 13 2011 - 10:22 PM

Dear Guys:

I recently subscribed to itunes, and I've found individual episodes of Thriller available. I've never seen the program, but I'd like to try one to get a taste of the program. Can you fans recommend an outstanding episode for me to try?

James

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 705 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted February 14 2011 - 01:44 AM

I highly recommend "Pigeons from Hell" from Season 1, and watching it in a dark room with the lights turned off.  You will be hearing a certain sound in your sleep after viewing it! :)
Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted February 14 2011 - 04:23 AM

To get a true taste of "Thriller," you'd have to sample two episodes, because the show was wildly variable.  There were horror episodes -- and "Pigeons From Hell" is generally regarded as one of the very best of them -- and there were non-horror episodes, dealing with spies, espionage, detectives, etc. -- and they're generally regarded as boring clunkers. The non-horror episodes often meet with the reaction the premiere episode of "Thriller" received from the critic of the New York Times on September 14, 1960:  "A preposterous hour-long mystery -- silly in its narrative construction, unpleasant in its tone and cumbersome in its production -- served last night to introduce a series entitled 'Thriller' ... (it) made one yearn for the towering literary feats of yesteryear's Grade B films."

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted February 16 2011 - 04:23 PM

Try "A Third for Pinochle." I found it very entertaining.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,372 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted February 17 2011 - 01:29 AM

"The Devil's Ticket" is your ticket. Classic Robert Bloch deal-with-the-Devil story, good acting (MacDonald Carey), perfect pacing, and fun twist at the end. I've watched all the first season and several of the second in the last few weeks on DVD, and this one is my favorite so far.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,405 posts

Posted February 17 2011 - 01:48 AM

There are many good episodes that i would recommend, like the following 1. Guillotine 2. hungry glass 3. Big Blackout 4. Fatal Impulse There are many good episodes!! Thriller has held up good considering that it is almost 50 years old. TV today could learn somthing from these shows!!!

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted February 18 2011 - 01:44 AM

Anything with Edward Andrews: PINOCLE FOR THREE, A GOOD IMAGINATION, COUSIN TUNDIFER, and ROSE'S LAST SUMMER, THE MERRIWEATHER FILE, AN ATTRACTIVE FAMILY
Charles Hoyt

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,405 posts

Posted February 18 2011 - 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Charles H 

Anything with Edward Andrews: PINOCLE FOR THREE, A GOOD IMAGINATION, COUSIN TUNDIFER, and ROSE'S LAST SUMMER, THE MERRIWEATHER FILE, AN ATTRACTIVE FAMILY

Hey Charles,

There are so many episodes, it is hard to pinpoint the top episodes. I never seen the show before i bought the set. I am glad that i have the set and it only spikes my interest with watching my night gallery set (s1/s2). They sure do not make tv shows like this anymore!.

Hollywood could learn somethings about past by reviewing shows like Thriller. Just imagine how you could improve shows with todays technology.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 05:53 AM

My vote is for "The Incredible Dr. Markesan," which Karloff stars in as well as hosts. Mike S.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 06:17 AM

Pigeons From Hell, The Hungry Glass, The Grim Reaper, The Cheaters and The Purple Room are the five that I would recommend.