Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

samsung LN40C630 calibration settings?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   photoguy6233

photoguy6233

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 12:56 AM

I just bought this tv and I used the calibration disc from monster to set it up. I am not real happy with the calibration. Does anyone have correct calibration settings that maximize the display on the tv? Thanks!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 11 2011 - 01:50 AM

your settings should be more accurate than anybody elses.

what mode did you start in?

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   photoguy6233

photoguy6233

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 02:22 AM

I started in standard.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   photoguy6233

photoguy6233

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 02:49 AM

What should backlight be se5 to when calibrating?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 471 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted February 11 2011 - 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by photoguy6233 

What should backlight be se5 to when calibrating?

Backlight is used fundamentally to compensate for ambient room lighting conditions- lower for a darker room, higher for a brighter room.

Set black level and backlight level in room lighting conditions you maintain when performing your most critical viewing (movies, etc.).

The video industry standard reference recommendation for TV room lighting is totally dark, except for D65 bias lighting behind the display at 10% of screen peak white.

Adjust black level and backlight for darkest standard video black (not below black), while still preserving shadow detail, by using a PLUGE pattern.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted February 11 2011 - 05:32 AM

You should be aware that if you've never properly calibrated a display using some of the guidelines mentioned here, you should expect to end up with an image that, at first glance, seems darker than what you're probably used to.

Give the calibration settings a chance - try for several days to a week before changing them.  You will find that when properly calibrated, details that might have been masked prior to calibration are revealed.

Also, if you watch tv in wildly different ambient conditions (very bright during the day, but very dark at night) you may want to consider setting up two display settings - one for day and one for night.  That way each setting will be better tuned to the viewing conditions.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   photoguy6233

photoguy6233

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 06:50 AM

I calibrated my old LG tv with this same technique. After using the dvd to calibrate i found that the input with dish network looked similar to the video i corrected using the dvd so all was good. On this samsung, when i apply the settings to the input with dish network it looks a lot different than how the video looked from the calibrated dvd.