-

Photo
- - - - -

Sony DAV-FX80 Subwoofer is pathetic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   inception417

inception417

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 21 2011 - 09:44 AM

hello,

i have the Sony DAV-FX80 system,  the dvd player + the speakers

I dont like the subwoofer i got  b/c it doesn't make that "BASS" sound, the sound that shakes the floor

I went to my friends house, he has a YAMAHA system and its costs the same as mine  but when i saw a movie with his speakers, It was awesome. The subwoofer was great, it felt like i was in a theater. Mine doesn't do that.

Is there something i can do to make the sound quality better or is that the best it can do ?

i turned the DGSX button ON and i changed the sound field to "Cinema studio EX  A "

I want the theater experience plz

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 02:11 PM

You could certainly swap out the sub.  How big is your room and what's your budget?

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   inception417

inception417

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 02:30 PM

its a normal size living room in a house.  i dont want to buy another sub, the one i payed for should be good enough

is that the best it can do  or is my settings wrong ? (in terms of SOUND FIELD)

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 03:15 PM

Well I went and read you manual. You should just have it set to Auto Format Direct and make sure you select the 5.1 option on the DVD you are playing. I would not use the DSP modes. It doesn't say that the Cinema Studio EX modes use the Sub as they are only talking about 5 channels.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   winniw

winniw

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 06:52 PM

The placement of a sub is critical.  It is possible that your listening position is in a null.  Try moving the sub a foot or two away from its current position and see if that helps.  The difference can be huge.  Try it in a corner or near a wall.

The method often used to find the best placement is to temporarily place the sub in your listening position.  Then go stand in the various places where you could ultimately place the sub.  Wherever you hear a strong response would be a good place to put the sub.

Also, make sure that the port is firing out into the room, not into the wall.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 11:59 PM

Unfortunately, Sony makes great TVs and DVD players, but not so much receivers and HTiBs.  The sub you have is not very powerful, so you'll have a difficult time filling a room larger than a small room (~13x13x9).  If you can still return it, I'd advise doing so.

Other than getting an upscale sub, as someone already mentioned your best option is proper sub placement.  Check out some sub manufactorer sites for instruction; this guide is decent: http://www.audioholi...ment-guidelinesAlso, if your sub has a phase switch, before doing anything else try switch the phase; if you happened to pick the worst spot in the room switching the phase may help.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,158 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 24 2011 - 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by inception417 

i dont want to buy another sub, the one i payed for should be good enough

If one sub satisfied everyone, then there would only be one sub on the market.  Turns out that your sub does not meet your goals.  As others have stated, placement has a lot to do with it but depending on the size of the room and your expectations that sub may not satisfy you.

For example, I wanted bone crushing bass during action movies.  To reach that goal in my room required a pair of subs like http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=293-642 this.  I power them with an 800w/channel amp and use a 12 band parametric EQ to make sure the in-room response is flat to 17hz.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by winniw 

The placement of a sub is critical.  It is possible that your listening position is in a null.  Try moving the sub a foot or two away from its current position and see if that helps.  The difference can be huge.  Try it in a corner or near a wall.

The method often used to find the best placement is to temporarily place the sub in your listening position.  Then go stand in the various places where you could ultimately place the sub.  Wherever you hear a strong response would be a good place to put the sub.

Also, make sure that the port is firing out into the room, not into the wall.

This!!!  First thing, try different placements in your room for the sub.

Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus