-

Photo
- - - - -

Petticoat Junction Season 3???? Any news yet?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Gregory V

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted October 28 2010 - 06:04 AM

Has anyone heard any news on the release of Season three???? I sure would love to start seeing some of the color episodes. I especially am interested in seeing the crossovers with Green Acres. I've seen the PJ crossovers to GA but haven't seen so much of the GA crossovers to PJ,

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 12:19 AM

I think it was on CBS's list of shows to release this year, then was taken off.  Hopefully next year

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts

Posted November 01 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hopefully we will see Beverly Hillbillies Season 4 soon as well. It would be nice to get to the color episodes of that show as well.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted November 02 2010 - 12:17 AM

Yes it would.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted November 02 2010 - 01:58 AM

Both of those shows were initially scheduled for continuing releases back in 2009.  But unfortunately they fell victim to the dreaded dvd disease we all know as "Stalled Out."  It's a horrible affliction that affects some of my most beloved shows.  We must find a cure for it soon!

Gary "PJ, BH, and Rawhide, along now with The Untouchables (although I'm hoping it's only been delayed like Mannix was), have all been bitten by this nasty bug" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#6 of 29 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 02 2010 - 01:04 PM

I'm also interested in season 3 and beyond of peticoat junction

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted November 03 2010 - 12:34 AM

PJ is quite amusing to me, with the cast changes from season to season.  And, despite that, it never really lost it's sense of humor.

For me TBH is a bit like The Andy Griffith Show - for some reason it doesn't seem as funny in the color episodes.  I have no explanation for it but it seems to hold true for me with these two series.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,331 posts

Posted November 03 2010 - 04:47 AM

I always like Uncle Joe, because he was always looking at ways to do a scam. I like the show, but, i think it had issues when Betty Joe got married.

1960s had some really good shows that had good actors and scripts, like Green Acres/My three sons, etc

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   ThatDonGuy

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted November 03 2010 - 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 

For me TBH is a bit like The Andy Griffith Show - for some reason it doesn't seem as funny in the color episodes.  I have no explanation for it but it seems to hold true for me with these two series.

Most people I know who share this opinion add Gomer Pyle, USMC.

There is an easy explanation for Andy Griffith; most people consider black-and-white = Barney Fife and color = his replacement Warren.

However, I think the real explanation is, most shows are considered funnier in their early years, as "the things that made them good" don't tend to appear in later episodes (the writers run out of ideas that don't involve rehashing older plots).  This is especially true in shows that include young kids (e.g. Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch just weren't as funny as the kids got older).

-- Don

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 03 2010 - 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ThatDonGuy 

However, I think the real explanation is, most shows are considered funnier in their early years, as "the things that made them good" don't tend to appear in later episodes (the writers run out of ideas that don't involve rehashing older plots).  This is especially true in shows that include young kids (e.g. Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch just weren't as funny as the kids got older).

-- Don

And, in the case of "The Beverly Hillbillies," after living in 90210 California for nine years, it seemed ludicrous that the Clampetts would still be driving that old truck, Elly would still be wearing a rope for a belt, everyone would be calling swimming pools "cement ponds" etc.  The problem with "fish out of water" premises is that, after a certain number of years, they can't still be fish out of water.  At least not to the same extent.

Also times were changing.  Obviously Nancy Kulp had feminist issues with playing that stuffy, sexless creature that Miss Hathaway was early on.  As the years went on, Miss Hathaway became more poised, confident and self-assured but far less funny.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:20 AM

For what it's worth, the insert in the S3 "My Favorite Martian" set from MPI pictures "The Return of the Beverly Hillbillies" on DVD (1981 TV-Movie) as well as "Petticoat Junction: Return to Hooterville - 50th Anniversary Collection". No one is sure whether this is just a rehash of the B&W episodes MPI put out in 2005 but the cover photo features Linda Kaye, Lori Saunders and Gunilla Hutton. This trio we all know was the S3 Bradley Girls lineup from 1965-66 so I am hoping that means some of those episodes (are perhaps some of Meredith's) will be included. I can't imagine them using this photo if the set consisted of the B&W episodes. Linda Kaye Henning has been actively involved with MPI's releases of her father's shows and would not let such an error slip by.

#12 of 29 ONLINE   handley

handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:45 AM

Count me in for more seasons of PJ & BH! BH was so popular in its day, I can't believe there's not enough demand to continue it on DVD.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   EdG

EdG

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 02:12 PM

I would like to see more PJ & BH also. BH wasn't just a popular series in it's day but was also a mainstay for years in syndication. I just wonder sometimes if not having an official season 1 hurt sales for 2 and 3? I hope they are both in the pipeline and will be resumed when other CBS shows are completed.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,022 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 03:31 PM

To this day, and probably forever, "The Beverly Hillbillies" holds the record for the highest-rated regular series episodes, during its second season. I'd say the single biggest surprise of the TV on DVD era is that "The Beverly Hillbillies" didn't have every season released, as so many lower-rated series did.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 04:41 PM

To this day, and probably forever, "The Beverly Hillbillies" holds the record for the highest-rated regular series episodes, during its second season. I'd say the single biggest surprise of the TV on DVD era is that "The Beverly Hillbillies" didn't have every season released, as so many lower-rated series did.

CBS waited too damn long. If they had started releasing it 5 years sooner, Im sure they would have sold far better.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,983 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:32 PM

No one is sure whether this is just a rehash of the B&W episodes MPI put out in 2005 but the cover photo features Linda Kaye, Lori Saunders and Gunilla Hutton. This trio we all know was the S3 Bradley Girls lineup from 1965-66 so I am hoping that means some of those episodes (are perhaps some of Meredith's) will be included. I can't imagine them using this photo if the set consisted of the B&W episodes. Linda Kaye Henning has been actively involved with MPI's releases of her father's shows and would not let such an error slip by.

Mistakes still happen regardless of who's invovled.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have a hunch that this new release, "Petticoat Junction: Return to Hooterville - 50th Anniversary Collection", is going to be really good.

Most of MPI's TV show releases have fantastic extras and special features.

Jim Pierson is listed as the DVD Producer on all of them.

He also produced the first Petticoat Junction Collection back in 2005.

Now here's where it gets interesting:

I also have a music CD released last year called, "The Girls From Petticoat Junction." It consists of all their singles from Capitol Records. Songs that they sang on the show.

Jim Pierson is also listed on the CD as a producer.

Could it be possible that he secured the DVD rights to release the PJ episodes with musical numbers???

I certainly hope this is the case.

He also collaborated with CBS: MPI released Here's Lucy at the same time as CBS released The Lucy Show, so maybe they made a deal.

P.S. This is only speculation on my part while we await official confirmation, although I hope it's true.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green 

I have a hunch that this new release, "Petticoat Junction: Return to Hooterville - 50th Anniversary Collection", is going to be really good.

Most of MPI's TV show releases have fantastic extras and special features.

Jim Pierson is listed as the DVD Producer on all of them.

He also produced the first Petticoat Junction Collection back in 2005.

Now here's where it gets interesting:

I also have a music CD released last year called, "The Girls From Petticoat Junction." It consists of all their singles from Capitol Records. Songs that they sang on the show.

Jim Pierson is also listed on the CD as a producer.

Could it be possible that he secured the DVD rights to release the PJ episodes with musical numbers???

I certainly hope this is the case.

He also collaborated with CBS: MPI released Here's Lucy at the same time as CBS released The Lucy Show, so maybe they made a deal.

P.S. This is only speculation on my part while we await official confirmation, although I hope it's true.

It may only be speculation, Ron, but at least it's good speculation.  The kind I like!  Posted Image

I'm definitely in for more P.J. - the B.H. were great early on, but lost some steam after a few years so I'm good with what I have so far.  Having said that, I'd never turn my nose up at more releases.

Gary "it will certainly be interesting to see where this MPI release goes" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   handley

handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 11:47 PM

As long as we're on a Hooterville kick, how about the rest of Green Acres!

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 16 2012 - 03:23 AM

I liked The Beverly Hillbillies through Season Six. Seasons seven and eight involved the Clampetts inheriting castles in England, which was the "jump the shark" moment for me. Also, because times were changing, Nancy Kulp stopped doing her nerdy spinster schtick and started playing Miss Jane much more blandly. The black and white years were pure gold, and the first two color ones were fine. Those I would like to have. Petticoat Junction, for me, never really "jumped the shark" though it never recovered from the loss of Bea Benederet either. Still, the writing during the June Lockhart seasons remained strong and the three girls, especially Lori Saunders, blossomed into quality comedy performers to help fill the gap left by the loss of Bea. I'd collect the entire run of this show. Season Six of Green Acres always felt odd to me. Every time we went into Druckers' store, it felt strange, because Petticoat Junction had been cancelled. It seemed as if Frank Cady were presiding over a "ghost town" somehow. However, I'd still love to get the whole run of this show as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users