What's new

Petticoat Junction Season 3???? Any news yet? (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Ron Lee Green said:
...He also collaborated with CBS: MPI released Here's Lucy at the same time as CBS released The Lucy Show, so maybe they made a deal....
Keep in mind that Lucy retained ownership of HERE'S LUCY after she sold Desilu to Paramount,not CBS.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by DeWilson /t/305367/petticoat-junction-season-3-any-news-yet#post_4002342
Keep in mind that Lucy retained ownership of HERE'S LUCY after she sold Desilu to Paramount,not CBS.
True, but when CBS released The Lucy Show on DVD, they included a flyer inside their case for MPI's Here's Lucy release, so clearly they helped each other out in some way.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Ron Lee Green said:
True, but when CBS released The Lucy Show on DVD, they included a flyer inside their case for MPI's Here's Lucy release, so clearly they helped each other out in some way.
Cross-promotion is hardly "Helping".

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Rob_Ray said:
I liked The Beverly Hillbillies through Season Six. Seasons seven and eight involved the Clampetts inheriting castles in England, which was the "jump the shark" moment for me. Also, because times were changing, Nancy Kulp stopped doing her nerdy spinster schtick and started playing Miss Jane much more blandly. The black and white years were pure gold, and the first two color ones were fine. Those I would like to have.
Petticoat Junction, for me, never really "jumped the shark" though it never recovered from the loss of Bea Benederet either. Still, the writing during the June Lockhart seasons remained strong and the three girls, especially Lori Saunders, blossomed into quality comedy performers to help fill the gap left by the loss of Bea. I'd collect the entire run of this show.
Season Six of Green Acres always felt odd to me. Every time we went into Druckers' store, it felt strange, because Petticoat Junction had been cancelled. It seemed as if Frank Cady were presiding over a "ghost town" somehow. However, I'd still love to get the whole run of this show as well.
I thought the Clampetts going to England and then the subsequent Jethro joining the reserves, Cousin Roy (Clark) coming to visit, etc. were still funny though it did deviate from the standard practice of most story lines being one episode and done.
I do like seasons 8 & 9 but they were certainly not the typical Clampett fare. Jed never got scammed in the early years but in the last two seasons, Phil Silvers' character of Honest John took advantage of Jed for millions. Then the women's lib movement story hit with the attempt to modernize the show to current issues. My understanding is that TBH was an escape from the current issues, not a reflection thereof. You had Jethro and his Elvis-clone sideburns and Ellie didn't look like her younger self she had been in previous years. As much as I love the show, I think it would've been cancelled soon enough even without the "rural purge" that hit so many shows.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Clampetts went to England in seasons 6 and 7. IMO, Season 6 is one of the funniest with the Robin Hood of Griffith Park episode one of the greatest tv episodes ever. Season 7 was weaker and really fell off at the end. Still, watching Cousin Roy and the Electric Zoo perform The Great Pretender continues to crack me up. Paul Henning was listed as the sole writer for most of seasons 8 and 9, but he seems to have left most of the drafting up to a pool of idiots who had no appreciation or feel for the show.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Clampetts went to England in seasons 6 and 7. IMO, Season 6 is one of the funniest with the Robin Hood of Griffith Park episode one of the greatest tv episodes ever. Season 7 was weaker and really fell off at the end. Still, watching Cousin Roy and the Electric Zoo perform The Great Pretender continues to crack me up. Paul Henning was listed as the sole writer for most of seasons 8 and 9, but he seems to have left most of the drafting up to a pool of idiots who had no appreciation or feel for the show.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
rmw650 said:
If there was a Season 10, I heard somewhere that would have been the final season of the show and that Elly would finally have gotten married to that frogman, but CBS just completely destroyed these rural shows by CXLing them all in one shot.
They killed anything with a tree on it as Pat Buttram said!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks