What's new

Petticoat Junction Season 3???? Any news yet? (1 Viewer)

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard any news on the release of Season three???? I sure would love to start seeing some of the color episodes. I especially am interested in seeing the crossovers with Green Acres. I've seen the PJ crossovers to GA but haven't seen so much of the GA crossovers to PJ,

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I think it was on CBS's list of shows to release this year, then was taken off. Hopefully next year

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully we will see Beverly Hillbillies Season 4 soon as well. It would be nice to get to the color episodes of that show as well.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Both of those shows were initially scheduled for continuing releases back in 2009. But unfortunately they fell victim to the dreaded dvd disease we all know as "Stalled Out." It's a horrible affliction that affects some of my most beloved shows. We must find a cure for it soon!

Gary "PJ, BH, and Rawhide, along now with The Untouchables (although I'm hoping it's only been delayed like Mannix was), have all been bitten by this nasty bug" O.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
PJ is quite amusing to me, with the cast changes from season to season. And, despite that, it never really lost it's sense of humor.

For me TBH is a bit like The Andy Griffith Show - for some reason it doesn't seem as funny in the color episodes. I have no explanation for it but it seems to hold true for me with these two series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I always like Uncle Joe, because he was always looking at ways to do a scam. I like the show, but, i think it had issues when Betty Joe got married.

1960s had some really good shows that had good actors and scripts, like Green Acres/My three sons, etc

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2
For me TBH is a bit like The Andy Griffith Show - for some reason it doesn't seem as funny in the color episodes. I have no explanation for it but it seems to hold true for me with these two series.
Most people I know who share this opinion add Gomer Pyle, USMC.

There is an easy explanation for Andy Griffith; most people consider black-and-white = Barney Fife and color = his replacement Warren.

However, I think the real explanation is, most shows are considered funnier in their early years, as "the things that made them good" don't tend to appear in later episodes (the writers run out of ideas that don't involve rehashing older plots). This is especially true in shows that include young kids (e.g. Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch just weren't as funny as the kids got older).

-- Don

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by ThatDonGuy

However, I think the real explanation is, most shows are considered funnier in their early years, as "the things that made them good" don't tend to appear in later episodes (the writers run out of ideas that don't involve rehashing older plots). This is especially true in shows that include young kids (e.g. Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch just weren't as funny as the kids got older).

-- Don
And, in the case of "The Beverly Hillbillies," after living in 90210 California for nine years, it seemed ludicrous that the Clampetts would still be driving that old truck, Elly would still be wearing a rope for a belt, everyone would be calling swimming pools "cement ponds" etc. The problem with "fish out of water" premises is that, after a certain number of years, they can't still be fish out of water. At least not to the same extent.

Also times were changing. Obviously Nancy Kulp had feminist issues with playing that stuffy, sexless creature that Miss Hathaway was early on. As the years went on, Miss Hathaway became more poised, confident and self-assured but far less funny.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
For what it's worth, the insert in the S3 "My Favorite Martian" set from MPI pictures "The Return of the Beverly Hillbillies" on DVD (1981 TV-Movie) as well as "Petticoat Junction: Return to Hooterville - 50th Anniversary Collection". No one is sure whether this is just a rehash of the B&W episodes MPI put out in 2005 but the cover photo features Linda Kaye, Lori Saunders and Gunilla Hutton. This trio we all know was the S3 Bradley Girls lineup from 1965-66 so I am hoping that means some of those episodes (are perhaps some of Meredith's) will be included. I can't imagine them using this photo if the set consisted of the B&W episodes. Linda Kaye Henning has been actively involved with MPI's releases of her father's shows and would not let such an error slip by.

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Count me in for more seasons of PJ & BH! BH was so popular in its day, I can't believe there's not enough demand to continue it on DVD.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see more PJ & BH also. BH wasn't just a popular series in it's day but was also a mainstay for years in syndication. I just wonder sometimes if not having an official season 1 hurt sales for 2 and 3? I hope they are both in the pipeline and will be resumed when other CBS shows are completed.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
To this day, and probably forever, "The Beverly Hillbillies" holds the record for the highest-rated regular series episodes, during its second season. I'd say the single biggest surprise of the TV on DVD era is that "The Beverly Hillbillies" didn't have every season released, as so many lower-rated series did.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
To this day, and probably forever, "The Beverly Hillbillies" holds the record for the highest-rated regular series episodes, during its second season. I'd say the single biggest surprise of the TV on DVD era is that "The Beverly Hillbillies" didn't have every season released, as so many lower-rated series did.
CBS waited too damn long. If they had started releasing it 5 years sooner, Im sure they would have sold far better.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Kasey said:
No one is sure whether this is just a rehash of the B&W episodes MPI put out in 2005 but the cover photo features Linda Kaye, Lori Saunders and Gunilla Hutton. This trio we all know was the S3 Bradley Girls lineup from 1965-66 so I am hoping that means some of those episodes (are perhaps some of Meredith's) will be included. I can't imagine them using this photo if the set consisted of the B&W episodes. Linda Kaye Henning has been actively involved with MPI's releases of her father's shows and would not let such an error slip by.
Mistakes still happen regardless of who's invovled.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I have a hunch that this new release, "Petticoat Junction: Return to Hooterville - 50th Anniversary Collection", is going to be really good.
Most of MPI's TV show releases have fantastic extras and special features.
Jim Pierson is listed as the DVD Producer on all of them.
He also produced the first Petticoat Junction Collection back in 2005.
Now here's where it gets interesting:
I also have a music CD released last year called, "The Girls From Petticoat Junction." It consists of all their singles from Capitol Records. Songs that they sang on the show.
Jim Pierson is also listed on the CD as a producer.
Could it be possible that he secured the DVD rights to release the PJ episodes with musical numbers???
I certainly hope this is the case.
He also collaborated with CBS: MPI released Here's Lucy at the same time as CBS released The Lucy Show, so maybe they made a deal.

P.S. This is only speculation on my part while we await official confirmation, although I hope it's true.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green /t/305367/petticoat-junction-season-3-any-news-yet#post_4002201
I have a hunch that this new release, "Petticoat Junction: Return to Hooterville - 50th Anniversary Collection", is going to be really good.
Most of MPI's TV show releases have fantastic extras and special features.
Jim Pierson is listed as the DVD Producer on all of them.
He also produced the first Petticoat Junction Collection back in 2005.
Now here's where it gets interesting:
I also have a music CD released last year called, "The Girls From Petticoat Junction." It consists of all their singles from Capitol Records. Songs that they sang on the show.
Jim Pierson is also listed on the CD as a producer.
Could it be possible that he secured the DVD rights to release the PJ episodes with musical numbers???
I certainly hope this is the case.
He also collaborated with CBS: MPI released Here's Lucy at the same time as CBS released The Lucy Show, so maybe they made a deal.

P.S. This is only speculation on my part while we await official confirmation, although I hope it's true.

It may only be speculation, Ron, but at least it's good speculation. The kind I like!

I'm definitely in for more P.J. - the B.H. were great early on, but lost some steam after a few years so I'm good with what I have so far. Having said that, I'd never turn my nose up at more releases.

Gary "it will certainly be interesting to see where this MPI release goes" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I liked The Beverly Hillbillies through Season Six. Seasons seven and eight involved the Clampetts inheriting castles in England, which was the "jump the shark" moment for me. Also, because times were changing, Nancy Kulp stopped doing her nerdy spinster schtick and started playing Miss Jane much more blandly. The black and white years were pure gold, and the first two color ones were fine. Those I would like to have.
Petticoat Junction, for me, never really "jumped the shark" though it never recovered from the loss of Bea Benederet either. Still, the writing during the June Lockhart seasons remained strong and the three girls, especially Lori Saunders, blossomed into quality comedy performers to help fill the gap left by the loss of Bea. I'd collect the entire run of this show.
Season Six of Green Acres always felt odd to me. Every time we went into Druckers' store, it felt strange, because Petticoat Junction had been cancelled. It seemed as if Frank Cady were presiding over a "ghost town" somehow. However, I'd still love to get the whole run of this show as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks