Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SANFORD AND SON QUESTION

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 12:51 AM

Before I buy all these seasons (I have the first set), I was wondering if the following episode on the appropriate season is the complete episode or the syndicated version : It is the episode in which Fred acts as Lamont's lawyer in court when Lamont receives a speeding ticket from a white officer.  There is a Tarzan reference in the original episode which was edited for syndication. Is the episode presented in the DVD set the edited or original version??? Thanks to anyone that can provide the answer.

#2 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 27 2010 - 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 

Before I buy all these seasons (I have the first set), I was wondering if the following episode on the appropriate season is the complete episode or the syndicated version :

It is the episode in which Fred acts as Lamont's lawyer in court when Lamont receives a speeding ticket from a white officer.  There is a Tarzan reference in the original episode which was edited for syndication.

Is the episode presented in the DVD set the edited or original version???

Thanks to anyone that can provide the answer.

The episode has the Tarzan line intact.  Quite hilarious.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 02:31 PM

What is the title of that episode? I want to watch it now.
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 02:40 PM

It's Season 3, episode 15, originally aired January 11, 1974:  "Fred Sanford, Legal Eagle."

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 04:01 PM

[quote]Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff [url=/forum/thread/305317/sanford-and-son-question#post_3744454] I'll watch it tonight.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted October 30 2010 - 12:58 AM

I watched the episode last night. OMG! You're right -- that line was hilarious! Now I know why the OP was so discreet in asking if it was unedited. It's amazing the things you could say back then that are not acceptable now.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 30 2010 - 08:44 AM

Could you tell me what the line was?  You could hide it as a "spoiler" if you think it needs to be.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted October 30 2010 - 09:58 AM

If I just tell you the line, than it won't be funny. It's like telling the punch line in a joke without setting it up--plus I'll probably offend a few people.

But in the context of the scene and Redd Foxx's delivery, it was funny.

Here's a short excerpt from the book, Mental Floss presents condensed knowledge By Will Pearson, Mangesh Hattikudur that says the joke:

Posted Image

Paul Mavis also talks about this in his review of the complete series here:

http://www.dvdtalk.c...omplete-series/

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,405 posts

Posted October 30 2010 - 12:20 PM

This episode is worth watching just seeing Red Foxx in court. Red Foxx was a great comedian!!!

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 30 2010 - 07:02 PM

I must say I'm surprised; I had no recollection of "the n word" being said so casually, even back then.  If I'm not mistaken, even Archie Bunker never said it!

#11 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 30 2010 - 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff 

I must say I'm surprised; I had no recollection of "the n word" being said so casually, even back then.  If I'm not mistaken, even Archie Bunker never said it!

Redd Foxx was black.  He could get away with it.  His Fred Sanford character is a classic.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,405 posts

Posted October 31 2010 - 02:03 PM

i would have to agree that he gets away with because he is red foxx and his character was always making comments that support his views. Shows of the 1970s, like Maude, all in the family, jefferson, etc all had views of the time and the network cover themselvers by having a disclaimer about those views being reflected of the time and may not reflect the current view.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted November 01 2010 - 09:02 AM

Without a doubt Sanford and Son is top shelf comedy.  No matter what episode you  select as a favorite, you can't go wrong.  The Brillo pad with eyes (as Aunt Ester would say) had to be the greatest funnyman on tv for the entire decade, maybe even beyond. They say Red was hard to work with for the show creaters and that was why it ended when it did.  I personally feel that it may have been just as well regardless before it started showing its age and dying off.  And as an after thought here on episodes lengths, I'm almost positive that one show was only 22 minutes long.  But no complaints here, folks.  Sanford and Son will stay on my shelf until the day Fred (Red) and the rest of us are headed for the last round-up.  BIG DUMMY..