-

Photo
- - - - -

A huge THANK-YOU! to Criterion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,093 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 03:58 PM

Criterion is certainly making up for their loss of the Studio Canal titles, and then some! It seems they have made licensing agreements with about 80% of all the studios, and are churning out an almost incredible number of magnificent Blu-rays these past few months and in the next few. More than ever, I eagerly await their new monthly announcements, as there are almost invariably one, two, or even three Blu's that seem indispensible to my collection. Their output is just about on par with that of major studios, and in all but a few cases (the Warner Bros. classic titles, to name one), their choices for release are infinitely more intelligent and, for a true collector, compelling.

I'm all in, and endlessly grateful.

#2 of 10 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted September 18 2010 - 11:50 PM

Seconded. Obviously.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 10 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,165 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 19 2010 - 01:49 AM

Seriously.  And when's the next 50%-off sale?  I NEED MY FIX.

#4 of 10 Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 03:34 AM

Yeah, I think November may be their best month ever.

#5 of 10 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,772 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 20 2010 - 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 

Yeah, I think November may be their best month ever.

I think I have every title in November on pre-order.  Going to be expensive, but worth it.  I've been wanting an upgrade of "Night Of The Hunter" for ages, and that Lost in America set is too good to pass up since I never did buy any of them on SD.

#6 of 10 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted September 22 2010 - 04:51 PM

I'll second that!  They are the ONLY studio right now whose titles I feel safe pre-ordering.  (And at prices above my normal per-title limit.)  Not only are their releases an example of Blu-ray done right, but they have put a lot of great movies on my radar I would have never seen otherwise.

#7 of 10 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,864 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted September 23 2010 - 01:00 AM

In addition to the consistently impressive product they continue to churn out (I still marvel at the fact that this is an indie label releasing the kinds of films, in the kinds of editions, that would bankrupt just about anybody else) Criterion should also be applauded for not bombarding us with forced trailers and pointless disclaimers before the film.

#8 of 10 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,286 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 26 2010 - 07:04 AM

Guillermo del Toro was like a kid in a candy store when he visited the Criterion offices, picking up Charade, Thin Red Line and a few other discs, check out the video - Posted Image

http://www.facebook....?v=992251652678

Guillermo del Toro recently visited the offices of The Criterion Collection to review the supplements on the upcoming Blu-ray of his directorial debut, Cronos. The studio has published a video  that features Del Toro being invited to the DVD and Blu-ray storeroom and raiding the BD shelves for the titles still missing in his collection, offering a window into his movie tastes.

Despite announcing that he was not going to "show any restraint," the Mexican filmmaker eventually picked up only eight titles (mainly recently-released BDs, such as The Thin Red Line by "the master", the "Hitchcockian" Charade or Bergman's The Magician, which officially isn't out yet and makes him exclaim, "Really? The Magician ... Fantastic!"). He explained that he'd already bought most of the rest (he was "sad to report").

The director of Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth proved that he was well informed on upcoming Blu-ray titles when he specifically asked for Paths of Glory, which isn't out until October 26. However, he also showed that he is much more of a cinephile than a collector when he asked if the movies were sorted alphabetically � a hardcore Criterion cultist worth his salt would have noticed that they were sorted by spine number.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5196

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#9 of 10 johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted September 26 2010 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for posting that link! Always good to see Directors geeking out to films and showing enthusiasm.

Great stuff Posted Image

#10 of 10 Jamie E

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 08:09 AM

Criterion is definitely making up for their foot-dragging before getting into HD. Now I just want to see an official announcement and date for The Game on Blu, and I'm all set! Posted Image

Movies look their best when they look like movies. No more Patton-esque disasters!