What's new

I need a new plan.... (1 Viewer)

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
I got way ahead of myself

I thought my Pioneer CLD-99 laserdisc player had component out....EHHH!

Wrong!

So now I need help finding a mid priced receiver with S-Video in

ealier I listed 5 receivers I was interested in (Help me....thread)

but from what I can find NONE have S-video

Yamaha RX-V665

Yamaha RX-V765

Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K

Denon AVR 1910

Sony STR-DN1010

any thoughts....advice?

and NO, I'm not getting rid of the LD player

thanks,

Ed

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I've found 2 so far with S-video

Yamaha RX-V567

Denon AVR-791

at this point I'm leaning toward the Denon

thoughts?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd lean that way too.

Looks like S-Video is being phased out. Multi-ch inputs too to a lesser degree.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Take a closer look, all the Denon's have at least 1 S-Video input (mostly for Ipod dock usage but you can use it for any S-Video device input).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
I have always regarded S-video far superior to composite on the CLD-99. My older projector (Yamaha DPX-1) has both inputs, and just running cables straight from the player to the projector was a no brainer in deciding which to use. Until I just read these replies and thread listed I would never have thought composite was the way to go. So I did a little reseach on my own and went here:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_elite_cld-99/pioneer_elite_cld-99.htm

It's an article I found comparing the CLD-97 to the 99

Now I'm not any kind of techie by any means, but it seems that the big difference with this player is the 3D adaptive digital Y/C filter for S-video output

most of the info pertaining to this subject starts about 1/2 way down the page and then with the summary

OK, now with that said, whatever method I used, wouldn't one of the receivers I have listed upgrade the signal and pass it thru the HDMI output?

or no it can't upgrade ffrom S-video signal to HDMI ?

I think I'm still leaning towards the Denon AVR-791

apparently it's the same receiver as the 1910 without the extra do-dads like iphone, digital radio stuff, I could care less about

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Both the Denon 791 and the Yamaha 567 do analog-to-digital conversion of video signals, so yes, whatever signal you feed the receiver can be output via HDMI.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Originally Posted by Eddie L

I got way ahead of myself

I thought my Pioneer CLD-99 laserdisc player had component out....EHHH!.....

Consider getting a video processor that has Composite/S-video in and Component video out. You could get one of the early models of the DVDO iscan for a song. I use an iscan V2 for my LD-S9 to give it component output. For you, I'd suggest you find a video processor that has a 3-D comb filter, which the V2 does not, and use composite video out of the 99. So, you ask why. The comb filter in the 99 does indeed reduce dot crawl but the cost is that your colour gets muted by the 99's comb filter. It's a 1995 comb filter and it wasn't even Pioneer's best at that time. Their best comb was in the LD-S9, a Japanese model, that's similar to the 99 and in their RP sets. You're missing full colour fidelity using the 99's S-video out.

I also have a 99 and I use it's composite out these days. The 99's 3-D comb might have been near the top of the class in '95 but a year or two later it was a mediocre comb filter.

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting Rachael. I'll definitely check this out

so is this the hook up then:

composite out of the CLD-99 to composite in to the processor THEN component out of the processor to component in to the receiver or direct to the projector?

I'm not familiar with video processors

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Originally Posted by Eddie L

Interesting Rachael. I'll definitely check this out

so is this the hook up then:

composite out of the CLD-99 to composite in to the processor THEN component out of the processor to component in to the receiver or direct to the projector?

I'm not familiar with video processors

You've got it. What you need is a video processor from ican or anybody else that has a quality 3-D comb filter on board. My V2 does not but the 3-D comb in the LD-S9 is hunky dory. The V2 has a 3-line comb filter that's probably inferior to the 99's 3-D circuit. It's nearly criminal that Pioneer pawned off the CLD-99 as a top of the line deck. In Japan, it's equivalent model, was their 3rd best player back in '95. The thing about putting LD signals into HDTV's and projectors is, first the comb filter is a factor, then the de-interlacer (scaler) is a factor. Either of those factors can upset the apple cart. I use my S9 with a Sony XBR 34" tube. It has a 3-D comb filter, a good one. The problem is that Sony put a mediocre de-interlacer in the set. It smears detail, badly. The best way into the set, to avoid the de-interlacer is component video. It's that or HDMI. I think that there are sheety de-interlacers in the overwhelming number of HDTV's out there. Why? My theory is they presume most folks would pump VHS into their set's analog inputs and if it looked poorly, they'd blame the VHS format.

Another question is, does your projector have a good comb filter in it? I'd check the manual.

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry Rachael B, but you gotta consider me ignorant when it comes to techie stuff. That said, I went to Anchor Bay to look at discontinued models (early ones for a song). Anyway I see none that say 3-D comb filter. All I see is "High-quality super-adaptive comb filter with 2D Y/C separation". Thanks again for your input. OH, I couldn't find anything about a filter in the projectors, but then again I'm kinda old school with a Yamaha DPX-1 in one room and a Yamaha DPX-830 in the other.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
There's other brands of video processors. I'm no expert on 'em. I've only had the one. If you can't find advice on video processors here try the AVS Forum. There's certainly one out there that can give your 99 a helping hand.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I was surprised just yesterday when I noticed that a recent Blu-ray player has HDMI, component, and composite (!) outputs, but no S-Video.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
S-video has virtually disappeared from all BD players. Composite has emerged as the "emergency" connection of choice. The last 3 BD players I've bought, Momitsu 899, Momitsu 799, and Oppo 83 all lack S-video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks