Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Mac Mini as DVR?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   gregjb

• 2 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 07:13 AM

Hello Everyone,   I'm fairly new to the home theater group, so I do have a question:   I recently purchased a new Mac Mini with an HDMI output--which I've connected to my LCD TV (which has an HDMI input).   I have RCN and a cable box, and I know that they encrypt their channels.  I purchased an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid and successfully connected it up to my Mac, but I either have to leave the EyeTV set on channel 3 to receive the cable from the cable box, or lose pretty much all the channels, as the EyeTV cannot decrypt the digital cable.   What is the best way for me to turn the Mac Mini into a DVR?  I was reading about IR blasters-but I'm not sure if those are any good.  I am able to return the EyeTV and get another product if it will be more effective.   Please let me know.   Thanks!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,313 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 01 2010 - 10:08 AM

Welcome to the HTF!  Posted Image

I'm going to move this thread to the Computer & HT area - Mac division - because that is where the folks who can best address this tend to hang out. 

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   gregjb

• 2 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 10:15 AM

Thanks.  I'd also like to mention that I did a bit of research:   My cable company (RCN) offers a DCX3200 cable box which has a firewire port.  It looks like somebody made an application for the Mac that will listen for eyeTV channel change requests and can change the channel via firewire.    Has anyone had any experience with this?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,287 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 29 2014 - 07:03 PM

New minis soon likely, keep hope alive:

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users