What's new

Hey guys, any advice for a better setup? (1 Viewer)

Alright, right now I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and cable TV unit. All three run to my TV via HDMI cables. I have a really cheap sound system that has an HDMI out, and 1 optical audio in. I usually rotate my 1 optical cable between the 2 games systems depending on what I'm doing, but..

I want a better system. I don't really need a Blu-Ray since I have the PS3 so I'm just looking for something with good audio. I found something on bestbuy for 350 which had 3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out and 2 optical in. Very curious to find the optimal setup for my TV and devices for around that 350 price range.

I was also curious to know if the Toslink cables are even needed if you have the HDMI cables?

Thank you

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by Ross Stillwell

I was also curious to know if the Toslink cables are even needed if you have the HDMI cables?

It depends. Some AV receivers only have HDMI inputs and outputs so that they can pass video on to TV. Audio has to come in via the digital (coax or optical) or analog audio inputs. Others do accept audio over HDMI. You'll have to read the specs on the receivers you look at to find out which type they are. List the make and model of the receivers or "Home theater in a box" (HTiB) systems that you're looking at and we can give you more specific feedback. In fact, if you can give us the make and model of everything - your current TV and sound system, cable box, game systems and what you're looking at, we'll have a better basis for recommending stuff. Are you looking for a complete system, including speakers, or do you plan to use your current speakers?

Regards,

Joe

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+1000W+5.1-Ch.+Home+Theater+System/9770679.p?id=1218171552661&skuId=9770679

If there is a better one for the price that'd be cool.

As far as what I have.. The TV is a 37" Visio, 1080p, I believe 60hz refresh rate. PS3 is the Slim model, 250gb hardrive... 360 is an Elite, 120gb hdd. The cable box is connected with an HDMI cable supplied by comcast and also has an optical audio out.

So, say I get this sound system.. Would you recommend connecting the PS3 and 360 through the two optical ports, then just hook the cable box up with the aux cables it comes with? As far as the video, connect the HDMI cables to the 3 HDMI in, then run the HDMI out from the unit to the TV?

Any other reccomendations would be appreciated, like good quality Toslink cables, etc..

Thanks again!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Ross,

The Sony system isn't too bad - but it does have some limitations. Most of all, the system can't be upgraded piecemeal later on down the road. The speakers have an impedance of 3 ohms so they can't be used with most other off the shelf receivers. Also, I'm not familiar with the output options on the XBox, but the Sony system doesn't have any analog video inputs at all, so if the XBox is not HDMI capable, it would have to connect directly to the TV.

An alternative might be the new 3300 system from Onkyo. Amazon has it for less than the Sony, but the Onkyo system is built around a more robust receiver and is probably overall slightly higher quality than the Sony unit. It also includes analog video inputs/outputs (it doesn't upscale these sources to HDMI, however).

The biggest drawback to the 3300 system is that it includes a passive subwoofer (speaker-level outputs as opposed to line-level outputs). The next Onkyo system up from the 3300 is the 5300 which is a 7.1 system and runs about $100 more than the 3300.

As for the hookups, any devices you can hook up to the surround sound system via HDMI shouldn't need a secondary digital audio cable. But you are correct in terms of hooking up each source to an input on the receiver, then running only a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. That will allow you to switch audio and video with a single button press (provided all your sources are HDMI).

Good luck!

zevera

Auditioning
Real Name
zevera
Hello all

For better setup go for Toshiba speakers or Dvd's . they have good sound system.

if anyone can help with more let me know.

Download everything! Movies, music, games, applications from the entire file hosting websites as premium! For more Details go to Download Movies!

zevera

Auditioning
Real Name
zevera
Hello all

For better setup go for Toshiba speakers or Dvd's . they have good sound system.

Download everything! Movies, music, games, applications from the entire file hosting websites as premium! For more Details go to Download Movies!

zevera

Auditioning
Real Name
zevera
Hello all

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks