What's new

The Lucy Show: The Official Second Season ... coming out on July 13th, 2010! (1 Viewer)

Great news!! I can hardly wait to pick it up! My favorite episode is when Lucy and Viv went into business, organizing childrens parties. My favorite scene is with Lucy and the dog Thunderbolt.
What a classic scene.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
During that season, in early 1964, Lucy said she would discontinue the series and do something different. (Obviously, she changed her mind.)

The "something different" resulted in an hour comedy co-starring Bob Hope, which was shown as a special in 1964. I've never seen it and it's exciting to read the news that it will be included as an extra with this set!

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I too am looking forward to this DVD release. This season is loaded with a lot of classic episodes! I love 'em all. I am so thrilled!!! This is just one more season to own and enjoy over and over again! I definitely will getting this on release day. It is a MUST-HAVE.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news. I know this season still aired in Black and White but there were rumors that since it was filmed in color it maybe released in color on dvd. I see no confirmation on the dvd announcement. Anyone know?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It never occurred to me they'd release this in black and white. It was only shown in b&w originally ... it was always color in syndication (which was the original point of filming in color). I feel 99.99% certain this will be in color.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
There's no way this would be in black and white. No 35mm material even exists in black and white. The only B&W source material you'd find on this season would be vintage 16mm TV prints made for local stations not on the network feed in 1963-64.

Rest assured it will be in color. The only portions that will no doubt be B&W would be found in the option to view vintage sponsor openings and commercials which would be taken from those vintage prints.

DoreSchary

Agent
Real Name
Dore
There is a new promo for "The Lucy Show" Season 2 DVD on CBS' Facebook site that shows clips from the restored episodes...

http://www.facebook.com/cbshomeentertainment

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by DoreSchary

There is a new promo for "The Lucy Show" Season 2 DVD on CBS' Facebook site that shows clips from the restored episodes...

http://www.facebook.com/cbshomeentertainment

They look AMAZING! Can't wait to pick this up.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
it's set up so you can see black and white opening and closing credits along with the sponsors. the episodes themselves are in glorious technicolor.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I know just about everyone will think I'm crazy, but I'm going to be tempted to turn off my color and watch these in b/w. I've never done that yet with any series that's started in b/w and converted to color, but in the case of this season I'm going to at least think about it. The reason being that I've always felt color, especially crystal clear vibrant color like were going to see on this set, makes actors look older than b/w does. And in this case I just don't want to see Lucy and Viv as old as I know the color will make them look (I sneaked a peek via the CBS Facebook link above).

Gary "silly, I know" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Wow, they look fantastic.

Gary, I know what you're saying. Not only that, but Ball and Vance wore a lot of eye makeup, which didn't show up so much in B&W but looks kind of grotesque in color.

I watched these when they were first on -- I remember vividly how funny I thought the episode was where they get the safe cracker to get Mr. Mooney out of the vault -- and of course my memories are in glorious black and white.

But, you know what? We didn't get our color set until 1965, so I was watching even color shows in B&W. Even if CBS had shown the second season of "The Lucy Show" in color, my memories would still be in B&W!

And if that had been the case, I'd feel silly turning the color off just to match my memories. We watched "The Wizard of Oz" in its annual showings in B&W for ten years, but I wouldn't dare turn the color off on the DVD.

Don't mind me. I'm all wound up because my Complete "Leave It to Beaver" came today!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Gary OS

I know just about everyone will think I'm crazy, but I'm going to be tempted to turn off my color and watch these in b/w. I've never done that yet with any series that's started in b/w and converted to color, but in the case of this season I'm going to at least think about it. The reason being that I've always felt color, especially crystal clear vibrant color like were going to see on this set, makes actors look older than b/w does. And in this case I just don't want to see Lucy and Viv as old as I know the color will make them look (I sneaked a peek via the CBS Facebook link above).

Gary "silly, I know" O.

You too? I'm weird about that myself. Even if a movie or TV show exists in color, if it was broadcast in B&W, I turn the color off on my TV. For the sake of "the original presentation" in the majority of homes. Remember, color wasn't the standard until, what, the mid 60s?

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Until I read about it on HTF I had never realized that Season 2 of The Lucy Show was actually filmed in color. I had always assumed it was in b/w because that is the way I remembered it. One of the first things that went through my mind was would it seem strange to now see it in color.

I'm not complaining. I am glad they are releasing this in its original form. I just never thought anyone else had some of the same thoughts about the b/w to color issue.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I actually had this debate with myself in the past with shows like Disneyland. The Davy Crockett episodes were shot in color long before the majority of Americans ever had color TVs, but on the DVDs, they're in color. To me, since most people originally saw them in black and white, it was an easy choice to turn the color off.

For me, it's case by case, like with everyone else. I actually have notes in my Word and Excel files on when the various networks started broadcasting in color as my "cue" to start watching the various shows in color. That's how I choose to role anyway.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Just because something was a certain way doesn't mean that way is the right way, or the ideal way.

I doubt anyone would want to go back into the past and relive every day exactly the way it was. For instance, it would be nice to relive Sept. 11, 2001 without those horrible events occurring.

And, although it's so much more trivial, the same could be said for the B&W vs. color dilemma of "The Lucy Show."

If CBS had started color broadcasting just two years earlier, we all know these episodes would have been shown in color.

So I'm going to watch them in color, not thinking, "This is the way it was," but "This is the way it would -- or should -- have been."

It's great to be able to improve on the past.

And I do think "Lucy" in color is an improvement. If nothing else, she was so famous for being a redhead, and it's nice to see that orange wig of hers in color.

There's also an episode where she falls into a vat of green dye. Sometimes color is part of the plot!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Just because something was a certain way doesn't mean that way is the right way, or the ideal way.

I doubt anyone would want to go back into the past and relive every day exactly the way it was. For instance, it would be nice to relive Sept. 11, 2001 without those horrible events occurring.

And, although it's so much more trivial, the same could be said for the B&W vs. color dilemma of "The Lucy Show."

If CBS had started color broadcasting just two years earlier, we all know these episodes would have been shown in color.

So I'm going to watch them in color, not thinking, "This is the way it was," but "This is the way it would -- or should -- have been."

It's great to be able to improve on the past.

And I do think "Lucy" in color is an improvement. If nothing else, she was so famous for being a redhead, and it's nice to see that orange wig of hers in color.

There's also an episode where she falls into a vat of green dye. Sometimes color is part of the plot!

Let's call it a wash, shall we? Everyone has an opinion on what their collection should be. FOr me, it's a purist, as-presented point of view. For you, it's an idealist, as-it-should-have-been point of view. Beauty of the hobby is it can go either way, depending on the preferences of the viewer. No one is wrong in that perspective.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I'm going to be watching mine in glorious color! Its not like they were colorized. I don't understand why anyone would want to turn the color off on their televisions because they originally watched the show in b&w, but that's your preference.

If you're really trying to replicate your 1960s viewing experience, wouldn't you also want to adjust the sharpness on your TV to make the picture softer, as well? Even with the color turned off, I'm sure the picture quality on the DVDs is going to be much sharper than it looked on the old TVs back then.

For example, the picture on the I Love Lucy DVDs looks amazing-- better than anything I remembered growing up with, so its like having a new viewing experience. Nowadays, when I catch the show in syndication while channel surfing, I can't believe how fuzzy the picture looks. That's what I grew up with, though, but I have no desire to adjust my TV to make the DVDs match my memories.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I knew that this 2nd season was seen by pretty much everybody originally in b/w even though it was filmed in color, but I wasn't born until March of '65 so my thoughts about this have zilch to do with nostalgia or purist/idealist perspectives (though I did like the way you phrased that, Matt). For me it's simply going to be about creating a viewing experience that doesn't make Lucy and Viv look older than my mind wants them to look. Watching Season 1 in b/w they both looked to me like ladies that were probably a tad old for having sons as young as Sherm and Jerry. But it wasn't way over the top in my mind. However, looking at those crystal clear color scenes from the CBS Facebook page I just couldn't help but feel Lucy and Viv looked so much older than they did in Season 1. Maybe it's just me. But I know that in general I've always felt that color makes some of these actors/actresses look about 5 years older than they'd look in b/w. I know that's silly, but with all the antics Lucy and Viv find themselves in I just might need to turn the color off on my set.

Gary "in spite of the laughing icon, I'm actually serious about considering it for that very reason" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks