Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question on how to use old drive in speakers for 7.1 rear channels on 6.1 system

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted January 02 2010 - 05:23 AM

First off I want to say Hi. I haven't posted or even lurked here for along time. I got my theater setup several years ago and have been enjoying it. I haven't upgraded to blue ray yet, but I can start to feel the bug biting.

Here's my latest situation...I have some old drive in theater speakers that have been sitting in my storage room for a long time. I would like to incorporate them into my theater some how (either display or in-use), but I've never had any great ideas on how to do it. Last night I was thinking about it. I came up with the idea of replacing my single rear center speaker with the two drive in speakers. I was thinking since the rears don't always do much, the sound quality of the drive in speakers may not be all that noticeable. I was planning on replacing the drivers inside the drive in speakers with some that are a little nicer, so that would help.

Here's my problem/question...I have a 6.1 system. What is the correct way to hook up the two rears to the 6.1? Since I haven't bought the replacement speakers yet, would it be best to purchase some 4 ohm drivers for each one and hook the speakers in series, essentially making the receiver think there is only one speaker connected?

Has anyone else used drive in speakers? Please post any suggestions for replacement drivers or sound quality improvements.

Thanks,

Frank

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,720 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 02 2010 - 06:19 AM

Quote:
Has anyone else used drive in speakers? Please post any suggestions for replacement drivers or sound quality improvements.

I've been causing trouble around here for 6-7 years now and that's a first for me!

Can I assume they are a single driver design? If so then a decent quality car speaker, or a full range 4 ohm home speaker driver from  PartsExpress, wired in series should work.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted January 02 2010 - 07:07 AM

Haha, Glad to be the first. They are a single driver design. I tore into them today. They contain 4" drivers. It looks like the max depth would be around 2.375". I've been browsing partsexpress.com trying to find the perfect match, now that I know that 4 ohms is the way to go, that will help.

Thanks,

Frank

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted January 02 2010 - 07:46 AM

Found these...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=55732934&St=9264&St2=59106478&St3=-33803569&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=166614&DID=7

I'm a little worried about the space in front of the driver (the grill) interfereing with the movment of the cone. There is hardly any space in front of the mounting surface for the driver.

Frank

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,720 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 02 2010 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
I'm a little worried about the space in front of the driver (the grill) interfereing with the movment of the cone. There is hardly any space in front of the mounting surface for the driver.

For a rear center speaker I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not much is sent to the 6th/7th speakers so I doubt the cone will move very much.

And pay clos attention to the spec-sheet. HT isn't like car audio. Not all 4" drivers are the same size.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.