Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

shuts off when i turn it up loud?!?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   dumdkid

dumdkid

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 24 2009 - 07:04 PM

so im just a dumb kid that wants to play loud music at his parties and i cant do that because it shuts off when i turn it up loud?!?! i dont know squat when it comes to audio so any advice is appreciated.

and yes i searched and i couldnt really find any answers.

-thanks

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   dumdkid

dumdkid

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 24 2009 - 07:24 PM

i forgot to add that when i first turn on the system for the night i can turn it up real loud! like to about 50, i could probably go louder but it hurts my ears and i dont want to blow a speaker. but after its been running for awhile ( about 1.5hrs ) when i try to turn it up it shuts off and i have to lower the volume back down to around 30 for it to play... could this be an over heating issue? i seriously have no idea this is not my area of expertise! lol

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 24 2009 - 11:22 PM

Sounds like it's going into "Protect" mode. Check both ends of each speaker wire, to see if a single strand of wire might be sticking out and touching something it shouldn't.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted December 25 2009 - 03:06 PM

If there was a wire shorting it would go into protect earlier, sounds heat related to me.  Give us some details on the equipment.

~JC

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted December 25 2009 - 10:58 PM

Does the receiver have a fan for cooling or is it passively cooled? Do you have it in an enclosed stereo rack? This really sounds like an overheating problem.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 26 2009 - 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen Chandler 

If there was a wire shorting it would go into protect earlier, sounds heat related to me.  Give us some details on the equipment.
No, not necessarily. I know of cases that it didn't happen until volume was turned up, and it turned out to be a strand of wire.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,575 posts

Posted December 27 2009 - 02:43 AM

Ed could be right, but I do think the most likely cause is the receiver overheating or just being over driven.  You need to provide complete equipment info.  sometimes this is caused by a system with a subwoofer where some or all speakers are set to Large.  Along those lines, a sub may solve the problem if you don't have one.  since it only happens after driving hard for a while, it could be lack of ventilation.

Of course, checking the wires is easy, so might as well do it anyway.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.