-

Photo
- - - - -

RCA Video Disc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 14 2009 - 12:15 PM

I stumbled across a real oddity.  Given to a consignment shop I work with.. an RCA "Video Disc" player... the discs are like Laserdiscs, except they never come out of their cartridge container... and the woman donated about 100 movies and a player, which all seems to work.   Some of the films, especially John Wayne ones, are films I don't think I've seen on DVD.. hell, even LD. 

Just a strange, strange find :)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Bob Graham

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 12:35 PM

Want to learn more about the format?  Go to cedmagic.com

#3 of 4 ONLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR View Post

the discs are like Laserdiscs, except they never come out of their cartridge container...

Just a strange, strange find :)

Well, actually they do. You insert the whole cartridge into the player. The edge of the cartridge gets grabbed by a locking mechanism. You then pull the sleeve out and the disc remains in the player. It then plays similar to a standard vinyl LP. It even uses a needle for a pick up. How do I know this? I was dumb enough to be one of the few who bought one of the things. I even remember how much I paid: 600 bucks.
I still have the thing in a box in my basement. I actually pulled it out a few years ago, just to see if it still worked. It was still operable. I used it to watch "Watership Down". One of only two discs that I ever bought for it.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,019 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 12:24 AM

I have EVERY consumer title issued on this format.  I've had a thing for failed technology for a long time- I was collecting 8-track tapes before most people were considering them 'retro', then I found a working videodisc player and loved it so much I had to have everything that came out on it.

Check my YouTube page for some rare promotional stuff on the format- was going to embed it here but doesn't seem to work.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc