RCA Video Disc

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by mattCR, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I stumbled across a real oddity. Given to a consignment shop I work with.. an RCA "Video Disc" player... the discs are like Laserdiscs, except they never come out of their cartridge container... and the woman donated about 100 movies and a player, which all seems to work. Some of the films, especially John Wayne ones, are films I don't think I've seen on DVD.. hell, even LD.

Just a strange, strange find :)

2. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Want to learn more about the format? Go to cedmagic.com

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Well, actually they do. You insert the whole cartridge into the player. The edge of the cartridge gets grabbed by a locking mechanism. You then pull the sleeve out and the disc remains in the player. It then plays similar to a standard vinyl LP. It even uses a needle for a pick up. How do I know this? I was dumb enough to be one of the few who bought one of the things. I even remember how much I paid: 600 bucks.
    I still have the thing in a box in my basement. I actually pulled it out a few years ago, just to see if it still worked. It was still operable. I used it to watch "Watership Down". One of only two discs that I ever bought for it.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have EVERY consumer title issued on this format. I've had a thing for failed technology for a long time- I was collecting 8-track tapes before most people were considering them 'retro', then I found a working videodisc player and loved it so much I had to have everything that came out on it.

Check my YouTube page for some rare promotional stuff on the format- was going to embed it here but doesn't seem to work.