Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Home Theater Receiver Recommendation Please

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Rich*s

Rich*s

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 07 2009 - 09:41 AM

I am building up to a home theater in my family room (about 20 x 25).  I presently have a Sony 60" LCD WEGA ( a few years old, but works great) working through a free (!) cheap Yamaha 5.1 system that I plan to dump.  I just got a PS3 for Blu-Ray (really awsome picture).  Now I need to work on sound.

I say "building up to" because my budget does not currently have room for new speakers.  I'll probably use a mix of stuff I already have until I can upgrade.  Meanwhile, I hope to enjoy the benefits of HDMI switching, iPod connectivity (if I go Pioneer) and a few other features.  (Yes, I am aware that speakers are everything.  I'm just doing this a piece at at time.)

I'm considering the following:

Onkyo RX-SR706 ($600 at Amazon today)
Either the Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH  or 23TXH ($500/$550 respectively)
Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K ($500 at Amazon)

Background:  I have a old (2yrs!) Denon 1707, a Pioneer 50 in plasma and a Paradigm Cinema 110 7.1 system in our 15x20 bedroom and love it.  Denon seems to pale a little next to my choices above, however.

1.  What would you choose and why?

2.  Can't say I see much reason to pick the Elite 23 over the Elite 21.  Is there (other than maybe an extra input or two)?

3.  The non-Elite seems to get better ratings than the (supposedly superior) Elite models--Why?

Rich

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,210 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 07 2009 - 10:03 AM

Have you checked the Receivers and Amp section of the forum?  There's more receiver talk there.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Rich*s

Rich*s

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 06:14 AM

Oops. Sorry.  I'll take the question over there.  Thanks for the heads up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users