Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

big floor speakers, small center speaker

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   huitlacoche

huitlacoche

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 14 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hello, 

I need some advice on a center channel speaker. I have a mirage mc-3 center and a pair of m590-i floor speakers.

Right now I have the center speaker behind a 52in lcd tv pointed upward because there simply wasn't a better place for it. The downside is that it's not pointed directly at the listener and, well, the cats sit on it and I'm pretty sure they're crushing the speaker cones. There's no room for it in the tv cabinet and I'm pretty sure putting the tv on top of it is bad news.

I'm not saying its ideal, but could someone recommend a smaller form center channel (ie the mirage nano CC) that would sound at least balanced for normal listening?

Thanks,
~mark

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted October 15 2009 - 12:18 AM

I did a search at their site for both your model numbers, and nothing ...................
Your center speaker should timbre match the fronts. Contact Mirage, and ask what center speaker timbre matches the fronts. That will be the speaker you need.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted October 15 2009 - 06:25 PM

Mark: in this situation, I would advise not using a center channel speaker at all.

Set your receiver's speaker management system to "No center" and the center info will be redirected to the front left & right speakers. The disadvantage to this configuration is that people seated off to the sides will not hear center info from the center of the TV image (if the TV is located between the left and right mains) like those seated in front of the left/rights.