What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
McIntosh has announced the arrival of the XCS1.5K center channel loudspeaker which will become available in October for a whopping $40,000. Dubbed “…a critical component to perfect any home theater system”, the slimline XCS1.5K complements the company’s existing XRT2.1K and XRT1.1K floor-standers. The speaker is also voice-matched to those models to provide the required sonic imagery with high-quality audio reproduction.
What you get for your $40k purchase includes 43 individual speaker drivers. These comprise four eight-inch-long throw carbon fiber sandwich cone woofers housed inside a vented bass cabinet, 14 x 2.5-inch aluminum midrange drivers and 25 3/4-inch dome tweeters. The speaker can be tilted to one of five preset angles to be aimed to the listening position. McIntosh says that the “strategic” driver selection is complemented by a detailed crossover design to create a wider sound field. Both high current capacitors and inductors...

Continue reading...

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
McIntosh has lost their ever-loving minds.

First a $3500 block of wood, $1500 for a small empty storage compartment with a McIntosh Led lighted sign on the front, and now 40K for a single speaker

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
i would be real nuts if I'm to splurge €8000 on that latest B&O sound bar.
McIntosh? put me straight into mental institution please!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
43 speakers?

...four eight-inch-long throw carbon fiber sandwich cone woofers housed inside a vented bass cabinet, 14 x 2.5-inch aluminum midrange drivers and 25 3/4-inch dome tweeters.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I love McIntosh gear but $40K for a center channel. McIntosh has lost there minds!
Dave: Are your A-7's of recent vintage? I owned a pair of A-7-500's way back in the seventies, but they needed a lot of HF EQ to sound their best. I didn't know Altec was still around.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dave: Are your A-7's of recent vintage? I owned a pair of A-7-500's way back in the seventies, but they needed a lot of HF EQ to sound their best. I didn't know Altec was still around.

My Marantz has a digital eq but I feel the Altecs would do better returning the analog Soundcraftsman eq to the mix if I can get the eq refurbished by a reliable shop. Wish I still had the Pioneer Spec1 preamp.

2 Channel Sys 1_20_2009a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks