What's new

Toy Story 1 and 2 Double Feature in Disney Digital 3-D (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Caught this double feature today on an horribly rainy Saturday where I live.

If you are a fan of these movies (even if you have seen them repeated times) or other Pixar features, I would highly recommend you catch this while you still can (supposedly it's only a two week engagement starting this weekend)

In short, I left the theater still in awe at Pixar and how much creativity and detail is exhibited in their films. I have seen Toy Story before but oddly enough, never got around to seeing Toy Story 2. Ironically though, I now consider this a good thing as today was the perfect way to see this film (which is arguably even better than its predecessor) for the first time.

These two films are storytelling at its finest. Creative, chock full of detail, funny, tightly edited with not one wasted moment, perfect voice acting and just the right amount of emotion.

The 3-D added a nice dimension, but since these films were not initially made for 3-D, it never becomes gimmicy.

Again, make sure to catch this presentation, 2 terrific films for the price of one (not counting the 3-D premium). The only thing I wish is that they could please add some kind of foam padding or something to the ear and nose pieces of those glasses as they do start to get uncomfortable to wear after awhile.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I was about to say something along those lines. I went 30 miles away to a theater I had never been to to see this double feature. To say it was worth the trip was an understatement. Even with all the advances Pixar has made in 14 years, their first and third films have held up beautifully; the wit, charm, emotion, and terror plays as fast and funny today as it did in the 1990s. I felt the same excitement I did seeing these films on the big screen when they first came out, perhaps more so.

And judging from the preview, Toy Story 3 looks pretty solid.
I also have heard rumors of a Beauty and the Beast 3-D limited reissue next year (apparently they can go back to the CAPS files and create a 3-D effect).

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Going to catch this in a day or two, been looking forward to it. But I wanted to confirm, the double feature does have a trailer for number 3? I hope so. I've been looking for it online, but it doesn't seem to be around yet.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yes it is a real trailer.

The premise seems to be that

Andy is leaving for college and all the toys end up at the goodwill or something like that.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
So it was a slow Sunday and my wife wasn't feeling well so I managed to catch this today and completely enjoyed the movies, more than I thought I would. I own and love them both of course but seeing them in 3D and in a theater was a treat, it was about half filled and it was nice that I could tell the audience was enjoying it.It's amazing how well these movies still hold up and just how fantastic they really are.

I can't watch 2 without thinking about the fact this was almost a direct to video sequel till the realized what a gem they had. I also am still noticing things in the movies after all these years. In Toy Story one, when Woody is under the milk crate with the toolbox on top in Sid's room, the toolbox says "Binford" on it. Fans of Home Improvement will get that. =)

The ticket price was worth it alone for the Toy Story 3 trailer which of course looks fantastic and funny as hell. The bit with Buzz going Spanish should be great. I know over the years TS3 had alot of story problems but back in the hands of Pixar, this new one seems to have a story that is the natural progression of the first two, it's practically telegraphed in part 2 it's going to come to what happens in part 3.

Slightly off the subject but something bugged me I wanted to mention. For this movie the theater listings online etc had the times mentioned for the shows, but when you go to the actual theater, you see that the show times are for EACH of the 2 movies, they were actually putting showtimes for Toy Story 2. After 1 was over, new people even came to the theater. I am pretty sure that is not what a double feature is. The time I choose just happened to be for Toy Story 1 so I saw the double feature as intended, but for those people who started with #2, I wonder if they got jipped. Is my theater incorrectly charging for these movies? Just wanted to mention this. I would if been ticked if I had went to the movie based on times listed online, only to find out I was starting with Toy Story 2!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
In Toy Story one, when Woody is under the milk crate with the toolbox on top in Sid's room, the toolbox says "Binford" on it. Fans of Home Improvement
Yes, that exactly the kind of thing I mean when I speak about cleverness and attention to detail (another example is that there is a book in Andy's room called "Tin Toy" by Lassiter which was the story that "Toy Story" was based off of). And speaking of Sid's house, it seems obvious that the carpet in his house is a nod to "The Shining"

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I noticed the books this viewing too actually. When Woody is up on the podium talking about the birthday party being moved to today, actually A LOT of the books behind him have names of Pixar's shorts, it's not just Tin Toy.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I'm really happy to hear your good reviews! I definitely have to catch this ASAP before it's out of theaters. Seeing Toy Story in theaters for the first time was like a defining moment of my childhood, so I definitely want to experience it again. Did you all stay during the intermission - I hear there were some fun Toy Story goodies in-between to add to the whole movie experience (aside from the much anticipated TS3 trailer)??

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Abby_B /forum/thread/293581/toy-story-1-and-2-double-feature-in-disney-digital-3-d#post_3613909

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Adam, people have the ability to start their double feature with part 2. My theater actually had managers counting heads each time one of the TS ended to make sure we weren't overselling the theater. You still get your double feature, just in a different order.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Adam Sanchez
I can't watch 2 without thinking about the fact this was almost a direct to video sequel till the realized what a gem they had. I also am still noticing things in the movies after all these years. In Toy Story one, when Woody is under the milk crate with the toolbox on top in Sid's room, the toolbox says "Binford" on it. Fans of Home Improvement will get that. =)
I did not know this. At no point in TS2 does it appear to be a direct-to-video production. The animation, story, characterizations, music are all wonderful. I remember nudging my wife in the theater when we first saw TS, "check out the tool box."

If you can listen to Jessie singing about being abandoned by her owner without becoming a little misty eyed, you have a heart of stone.

I wemt to see the double feature this afternoon. An afternoon well spent.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
The DTV "Toy Story 2" was only going to be 60 minutes. Disney asked for a theatrical film after seeing the quality of the early animation and the story was then reworked into a much larger tale. It wouldn't be accurate to say that anything from the final film wasn't intended for theatrical release, other than (I assume) a similar basic story line.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs

The DTV "Toy Story 2" was only going to be 60 minutes. Disney asked for a theatrical film after seeing the quality of the early animation and the story was then reworked into a much larger tale. It wouldn't be accurate to say that anything from the final film wasn't intended for theatrical release, other than (I assume) a similar basic story line.
Would that early animation include the space battle with Emperor Zorg? Jeez, that's a great opening.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon I encourage others to read the story about a father and his daughter on her wedding day.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Johnny.

When I went to find the link I re-read the story myself and, frankly, got a bit emotional all over again.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
just saw it last nite. you guys are forgetting to mention the fact that Pixar created NEW content in the 10minute break in between TS1 and TS2 and it completely utilizes the surround sound so very well!!!! wow i luved it! there is trivia, fun facts, clips from TS3! it was soooooooooo awesome. i'm glad i went to the bathroom during the end credit of TS1. the voices are often in the surround speakers to make you a part of the cinema experience. it was so worth it!!! i watched it w/kidz who grew up w/these films. when TS1 was released i was already towards late teens, lol. so technically i didn't grow up w/it the way the college kidz have today lol. i am so getting old ;).

it really sounds like the audio had gone through a remix as well, but maybe it was just lossless since it was in 3-D.

the only take away i got was how much i want that @home now! i hope they release TS1&2 on Blu-Ray IN polarized 3-D, it was awesome.

PS During TS2 after all the toys crossed the street w/cones, i think Rex said somn to the effect of: how are we supposed to get up there? tie balloons and float up? that reminded me of the film Up! =).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks