Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Exposed binding posts and covering them with electrician's tape


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Ray Ruggaurs

Ray Ruggaurs

    Agent



  • 35 posts
  • Join Date: May 16 2003

Posted July 12 2009 - 11:17 PM

Hi everyone

I've recently bought some new speakers and I've noticed that there are 4 plugs (for bi-wiring) with the binding posts on the outside connecting the top plug with the bottom.

I'm not planning to bi-wire these speakers so the binding posts will stay. I'm a little concerned over the live currents exposed.because of the the uninsulated binding posts.

Do you recommend winding some electrician's tape around the binding posts to make them more kid friendly? This won't cause overheating or degradation in sound?

Also, poor form on speaker manufacturers in leaving live currents exposed!

Thanks for your help!


#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

    Lead Actor



  • 8,160 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 22 2000
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 13 2009 - 01:25 AM



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ruggaurs View Post

Also, poor form on speaker manufacturers in leaving live currents exposed!
 
They leave them exposed because there is absolutely no chance of any electrical shock.  Compared to other electronics, speakers have an extremely low resistance.  That is why an amp can push so much voltage (not current).  Our bodies are highly resistive so when we touch a set of live speaker wires or terminals, we are receiving a minisule amount of voltage.  You should be more concerned about your kids touching a 9v battery to their tongues.  That will shock them more.

-Robert