Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Alastair Sim A CHRISTMAS CAROL November 3, 2009 - (UPDATE New 11-1-2011 Release)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

#81 of 89 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,178 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 10 2011 - 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

A general thumbs up from Blu-ray.com in their review

Last line of their review:

Highly recommended, even if you're double (or triple) dipping.

Posted Image  It's like they're talking right to me

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#82 of 89 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 07:34 AM

A general thumbs up from Blu-ray.com in their review

The above review made me want to take a chance on the better picture quality, plus the $10.99 price and 2-day free sipping, by using Amazon prime was another factor, plus I had enough Rewards points to cover the full cost .:cool: Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#83 of 89 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 10 2011 - 07:44 AM

Highly recommended, even if you're double (or triple) dipping.

../../../img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif  It's like they're talking right to me!

Same here, starting with the Roan Group laser disc.

#84 of 89 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hmmm, I wonder how good the "Santa Claus" disc will look next week?  Might pick it up if the reviews are good. Saw the film in a theater when I was 4 and it scared the S#$%@ out of me - hey when you're 4 - if you're gonna believe in Santa you're gonna believe in Satan

This was one truly strange and bad film -  but for the the nostalgia factor

#85 of 89 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,450 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hmmm, I wonder how good the "Santa Claus" disc will look next week?  Might pick it up if the reviews are good. Saw the film in a theater when I was 4 and it scared the S#$%@ out of me - hey when you're 4 - if you're gonna believe in Santa you're gonna believe in Satan This was one truly strange and bad film -  but for the the nostalgia factor

I've never seen that one but I have it on pre-order. Is it supposed to be a "so bad that it's good" type of film?

#86 of 89 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,313 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 10 2011 - 02:30 PM

I've never seen that one but I have it on pre-order. Is it supposed to be a "so bad that it's good" type of film?

You have to really love bad movies to enjoy it. For me, it's just painful but I understand why people get a kick out of it.

#87 of 89 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 11 2011 - 06:28 AM

I have to say that the brief, tantalising, clips of The Black Tent included in the excellent Brian Desmond-Hurst documentary looks to assure us of a quite fabulous hi-def VistaVision transfer coming from VCI next year...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#88 of 89 OFFLINE   marsnkc

marsnkc

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted November 11 2011 - 07:08 AM

Oh, great! I took delivery of the current Black Tent just last week.........:rolleyes: I thought the days of starting out a film in widescreen (to cover the credits) and then devolving to pan and scan were long over, but that's what VCI did with their relatively recent 'Sea of Sand'. It's a terrific looking DVD, and the pan and scan is practically unnoticeable, leading me to think (hope) that it was actually filmed in 1:37 and matted for its 'official' widescreen ratio. Wouldn't want to miss a single mm. of the can't-go-wrong Attenborough.

#89 of 89 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 11 2011 - 07:24 AM

Oh, great! I took delivery of the current Black Tent just last week.........:rolleyes: I thought the days of starting out a film in widescreen (to cover the credits) and then devolving to pan and scan were long over, but that's what VCI did with their relatively recent 'Sea of Sand'. It's a terrific looking DVD, and the pan and scan is practically unnoticeable, leading me to think (hope) that it was actually filmed in 1:37 and matted for its 'official' widescreen ratio. Wouldn't want to miss a single mm. of the can't-go-wrong Attenborough.

The UK DVD is exactly the same (and if memory serves, recent TV broadcasts); like most everything else in their Rank library, VCI take what they are given by ITV Global. There's no doubt that by 1958, even in the UK, it would have been framed principally for widescreen projection.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...