What's new

Alastair Sim A CHRISTMAS CAROL November 3, 2009 - (UPDATE New 11-1-2011 Release) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If anyone has this yet (or gets their copy soon), would you please report-in on the audio tracks?

Amazon seems to have its information directly from VCI...but VCI's own website now only has a DD 5.1 listed for this release.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Mike Frezon said:
If anyone has this yet (or gets their copy soon), would you please report-in on the audio tracks?  Amazon seems to have its information directly from VCI...but VCI's own website now only has a DD 5.1 listed for this release. 
VCI told me on FB the audio would be LCPM.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good news!

VCI has just sent me this very prompt reply to a question I asked them about the audio tracks.

Hello,
Thank you for your email. I talked with the President of VCI
about your questions. The PCM 2.0 and the lossless are basically the
same. It is the highest quality that one can get. The DD 5.1 is also on
the DVD. The new version of A Christmas Carol has both PCM 2.0 and DD
The version of this DVD does have the lossless audio track.

And, coincidentally, amazon has just sent me an order update telling me:

We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

Alastair Sim, et al "Christmas Carol: 60th Anniversary Diamond Edition (Blu-ray + DVD)"
Previous estimated arrival date: December 16 2011 - December 30 2011
New estimated arrival date: November 08 2011

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
My copy shipped last night and I just got word that Amazon reimbursed me the $7.00...so I did get my copy for $10.99 after all! I think that's an amazing price to have one of my favourite films on Blu. I can't wait. It's going to be hard to wait until Christmas to watch this one...I think I'll probably sample a few scenes!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm really looking forward to testing out that PCM track.

I'm well aware of the limitations of a 60-year old audio track (Marley's chains are NOT about to sound like Optimus Prime!)...but kudos to VCI for finally offering HD audio on this title.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Shipped!

Greetings Mike Frezon!

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed by you or by our customer service department.

Your estimated delivery date is:
Monday, November 07, 2011

Without doubt, this is the movie that I have purchased more home video copies of than any other.

I have been a sucker for each and every upgrade that has been thrown in my direction. At least the price has usually been "right."

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
:D :D :D Yay, Mike!! Mine's expected to arrive this Wednesday! I'm actually counting down the days! Is there a support group for people like us? The Scrooge-a-holics or something? :D

Luke, can you check to see if the weird jumps are still present? They start getting bad when the Ghost of Christmas Past appears. As the movie progresses, the jumps are present in every scene, almost at every cut. There is a bad one when Scrooge opens the window on Christmas morning. If these are not present, I will re-buy.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I can't speak for the prior release, but I watched this last night, and although it looks great, I did notice a lot of odd "jumps" throughout the film. Not distracting enough to turn off, but still a bit irritating.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Jeff F. said:
I can't speak for the prior release, but I watched this last night, and although it looks great, I did notice a lot of odd "jumps" throughout the film. Not distracting enough to turn off, but still a bit irritating.
Sounds like the previous release. Bummer.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Marvin said:
Sounds like the previous release. Bummer.
This title seems to be VCI's biggest seller, Perhaps that will be fixed on the next update.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
JoeDoakes said:
This title seems to be VCI's biggest seller, Perhaps that will be fixed on the next update.
By the Spirit of Re-releases Yet to Come?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jeff F. said:
Guess I should hang on to my 11/3/2009 Blu-ray release, unless someone notices an improvement in picture quality. Paul

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
The extras and lossless sound are nice. I'm not sure which image is better, if any -- I'll have to spend time with both discs. If someone hasn't purchased any copy yet, I'd recommend the new one in a heartbeat over the '09 release.

I had forgotten that I pre-ordered this and it arrived today! I spot checked and the jittery jumps are still there, but for some reason they didn't seem to bother me like before. Maybe it is because I am used to them or maybe they worked a bit on them. At any rate, the picture quality is very good, as is the sound.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
The missing frames would explain the odd jumps that I saw. If that's the best shape the film is in, then I can accept it. The video and audio were top notch, aside from the frame jumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks