What's new

Alastair Sim A CHRISTMAS CAROL November 3, 2009 - (UPDATE New 11-1-2011 Release) (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
John Hodson said:
A general thumbs up from Blu-ray.com in their review
The above review made me want to take a chance on the better picture quality, plus the $10.99 price and 2-day free sipping, by using Amazon prime was another factor, plus I had enough Rewards points to cover the full cost .:cool: Paul

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Highly recommended, even if you're double (or triple) dipping.

It's like they're talking right to me!

Same here, starting with the Roan Group laser disc.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Hmmm, I wonder how good the "Santa Claus" disc will look next week? Might pick it up if the reviews are good. Saw the film in a theater when I was 4 and it scared the S#$%@ out of me - hey when you're 4 - if you're gonna believe in Santa you're gonna believe in Satan

This was one truly strange and bad film - but for the the nostalgia factor

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
GMpasqua said:
Hmmm, I wonder how good the "Santa Claus" disc will look next week?  Might pick it up if the reviews are good. Saw the film in a theater when I was 4 and it scared the S#$%@ out of me - hey when you're 4 - if you're gonna believe in Santa you're gonna believe in Satan This was one truly strange and bad film -  but for the the nostalgia factor
I've never seen that one but I have it on pre-order. Is it supposed to be a "so bad that it's good" type of film?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to say that the brief, tantalising, clips of The Black Tent included in the excellent Brian Desmond-Hurst documentary looks to assure us of a quite fabulous hi-def VistaVision transfer coming from VCI next year...

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Oh, great! I took delivery of the current Black Tent just last week.........:rolleyes: I thought the days of starting out a film in widescreen (to cover the credits) and then devolving to pan and scan were long over, but that's what VCI did with their relatively recent 'Sea of Sand'. It's a terrific looking DVD, and the pan and scan is practically unnoticeable, leading me to think (hope) that it was actually filmed in 1:37 and matted for its 'official' widescreen ratio. Wouldn't want to miss a single mm. of the can't-go-wrong Attenborough.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
marsnkc said:
Oh, great! I took delivery of the current Black Tent just last week.........:rolleyes: I thought the days of starting out a film in widescreen (to cover the credits) and then devolving to pan and scan were long over, but that's what VCI did with their relatively recent 'Sea of Sand'. It's a terrific looking DVD, and the pan and scan is practically unnoticeable, leading me to think (hope) that it was actually filmed in 1:37 and matted for its 'official' widescreen ratio. Wouldn't want to miss a single mm. of the can't-go-wrong Attenborough.
The UK DVD is exactly the same (and if memory serves, recent TV broadcasts); like most everything else in their Rank library, VCI take what they are given by ITV Global. There's no doubt that by 1958, even in the UK, it would have been framed principally for widescreen projection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks