Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

One Step Beyond -- Restored!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 of 145 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted September 17 2009 - 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-N 

I hear you.  I'm in the same "Beatles boat" - but I also bought the proverbial bullet and grabbed ONE STEP BEYOND too.  In fact, my mono box set arrived yesterday, the same day that I picked up ONE STEP BEYOND.  Since I'd already heard some samples of the mono set, it wasn't as imperative to open.  Nonetheless, I did indeed open that mono set this morning after looking at a couple of ONE STEP BEYOND episodes!

Harry
Harry,

Is there a definitive compendium you would recommend on One Step Beyond?  I own several companions/compendiums detailing other series (The Outer Limits / Schow and various Trek books come to mind), and wouldn't mind obtaining one of the better ones for One Step Beyond.

I watched The Dead Part Of the House recently.  It was neat seeing some TOS alumni (Joanne Linville); I always relish seeing characters I recognize from other shows, particularly in their earlier work.  

#42 of 145 ONLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted September 17 2009 - 02:49 AM

I've not found one, but then I haven't researched it much.  The closest thing I have as a compendium for ONE STEP BEYOND is the chapter in FANTASTIC TELEVISION.  I suppose there could be some online sites that would be more detailed than that.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#43 of 145 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted September 17 2009 - 08:46 AM

McFarland and Company has published a book about the series, but it's a bit pricey:

Analytical Guide to Television's One Step Beyond, 1959-1961

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#44 of 145 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted September 18 2009 - 08:15 AM

To be honest I have all the definitive seasons of Twilight Zone and the Complete Outer Limits Set, and so far all releases of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and I have never heard of One Step Beyond! It was odd... I spotted it on the shelf at Best Buy and looked it over, then went over to their APPLE area and looked it up on imdb.com and it got my attention, so I then noticed that WalMart.com had it listed around 34.86 (BB 39.99) and took it to custumer service and told them I wanted to match the WalMart price they just looked it up and matched it.

I watched the EXT. Pilot Bride Possessed and it was decent. I didn't hate it. I will buy the last two seasons if paramount releases them as actual seasons. Hopefully it sells well enough.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#45 of 145 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green

McFarland and Company has published a book about the series, but it's a bit pricey:

Analytical Guide to Television's One Step Beyond, 1959-1961
Many thanks. The customer reviews of the work seem positive.

Thanks as well, Harry-N.

#46 of 145 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 09:24 AM

I also noticed that Paramount uses a blurb from that book's author, John Kenneth Muir, on the cover sticker. 
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#47 of 145 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted October 15 2009 - 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-N 

The pilot episode is presented twice on the first disc.  When you select the episode, you can pick the extended version or the standard-length one.  The standard-length one has had a better restoration done on it, while the extended one is of a lesser quality.

It's a treat to see the "next week" promos at the conclusion of each episode.

Harry
     The extended pilot looks to be from 16mm while the rest of the episodes look to be remastered 35mm.

#48 of 145 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,318 posts

Posted October 16 2009 - 04:13 AM

The only difference is a longer and different Newland introduction, after seeing that bit, I suggest going with the remastered version when watching.  

#49 of 145 ONLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted October 16 2009 - 05:08 AM

Newland's longer introduction is somewhat remeniscent of Rod Serling's introduction to the CBS network executives, where he describes different scenarios of what could end up in upcoming shows.  In Newland's case, he seems to be telling us which stories of the supernatural could have been chosen for the pilot.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#50 of 145 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 07 2010 - 06:16 AM

I am still hoping for further seasons of this series, I had never ever heard of it until I stumbled across it at Best Buy and decided to give it a try. I think the set was worth every penny. No longer sitting in public domain hell.

If you like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits type shows Please don't pass up purchasing this set.

Maybe they will announce another season for this Fall/ Halloween season.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#51 of 145 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,318 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 06:55 AM

It's a great series for sure, hope to see more of it soon! I prefer it myself to both Outer Limits and Twilight Zone. 

#52 of 145 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow 

It's a great series for sure, hope to see more of it soon! I prefer it myself to both Outer Limits and Twilight Zone. 

I hate to be the one to say this but... Don't hold your breath.

Gary "my crystal ball does not see a second season in the near future, unfortunately" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#53 of 145 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,318 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 07:58 AM

Well, maybe there'll be some news closer to Halloween, I won't hold it any longer than that... :-o

#54 of 145 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted July 15 2010 - 06:32 AM

I would feel it both odd and a cheat by Paramount if they hook people on buying the first season and then don't release the rest.  I too am hoping for Season Two to be out soon!  Any word yet?

Eric

#55 of 145 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,318 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 09:13 AM

Yeah, I'm hoping too they haven't forgotten it completely but maybe saved it for this Halloween as I think Paramount's not really having an awful lot of classic genre (television) titles in their possession, so here's a chance I don't think they should pass up being that they own this popular show. Hopefully it's been remastered/HD-transferred.

#56 of 145 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted July 21 2010 - 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gary OS 

Quote:

I hate to be the one to say this but... Don't hold your breath.

Gary "my crystal ball does not see a second season in the near future, unfortunately" O.

Gary, I hope you are wrong and they release Second Season by October.  There will be a lot of unhappy people who put down a high price for the Official First Season only to get ripped off unable to complete a series they started!  It isn't like they didn't sell any and if supply and demand are an issue, press few for the few who want it or... go the alternate route of burn on demand like the Warner Archives.

Eric

#57 of 145 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 06:53 PM

I'm hoping for a crack in the crystal ball as well. I'm not sure what CBS/P is thinking on this one, but I'm not quite convinced they have given up. It is worth commenting that A episode of One Step Beyond will be included on the Blu-Ray for Season One of Twilight Zone, so maybe they're hoping for a spike in sales based of BR sales of Zone to get another season out for One Step Beyond.

Or I may have just hit my head very hard.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#58 of 145 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 

I'm hoping for a crack in the crystal ball as well. I'm not sure what CBS/P is thinking on this one, but I'm not quite convinced they have given up. It is worth commenting that A episode of One Step Beyond will be included on the Blu-Ray for Season One of Twilight Zone, so maybe they're hoping for a spike in sales based of BR sales of Zone to get another season out for One Step Beyond.

Or I may have just hit my head very hard.

Well, CBS has been stretching out the classic tv releases, so who knows when the next OSB release might be - look at the gap between seasons 4 and for of Have Gun,Wll Travel.

#59 of 145 OFFLINE   Trevtpir

Trevtpir

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted July 25 2010 - 04:49 AM

I looked at the Blu-Ray specs of Twilight Zone and I don't see any One Step Beyond episode on that list.  Which episode was rumored to be included?

#60 of 145 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Trevtpir 

I looked at the Blu-Ray specs of Twilight Zone and I don't see any One Step Beyond episode on that list.  Which episode was rumored to be included?

OK, time to admit a mis-read that I should have checked on BEFORE I dd the posts -  it's not One Step Beyond, it's Tales of Tomorrow included with Twilight Zone Blu-Ray. My apologies for the mistake. Anyway, it's a Tales of Tomorrow episode called What You Need.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users