-

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK)

Warner

• Please log in to reply
3672 replies to this topic

#3661 of 3673 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted January 11 2013 - 01:16 PM

Actually, the silent version stars Richard Barthelmess, and it does survive in 35mm. It shows up at film festivals now and then (I've seen it).

#3662 of 3673 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted January 11 2013 - 01:36 PM

Danny, I stand corrected. Senility kicking in and relying on faulty memories... So glad to know the original version survives; wish it were made more readily available. Barthelmess is one of my favorites as well.

#3663 of 3673 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 05:25 AM

I just watched The Seventh Cross (1944) today, a strange but great film directed by Fred Zinnermann and starring Spencer Tracy. It was released by the Archive over a year ago. I was really impressed with the transfer for this one! Maybe they had worked on it for a retail DVD release, the quality was that good. Highly recommended!

#3664 of 3673 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,254 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:32 PM

I watched The Glass Slipper tonight, and I couldn't help shaking my head a little bit at how the Warner Archive has their act SO together. This 1954 film is routinely shown on TCM in 1.33. I had never seen it in widescreen even though I knew it should have been framed wide, yet the Warner Archive release properly shows it in 1.85:1.

The masters used at FMC which are incorrect are the very ones we usually get in THEIR Archive releases. There never seems to be any thought put into what their releases are going to look like.

True, there was no clean-up on The Glass Slipper, one of the trade-offs one must endure with most of the Archive releases from all of the studios, but at least the WA cares about presenting OAR. I am REALLY grateful for their conscientious effort to do things right.

• Mark Pytel likes this

#3665 of 3673 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 02:33 PM

I'm sure this will sound very picky, but what's with the Warner Archive just adding more titles each week to New, without moving the previous ones to the main list? There are now 86 titles listed as New. Am I the only one who misses seeing just the NEW titles listed each week as New? (see, I told you this was very picky ...)

#3666 of 3673 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 764 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted August 13 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm sure this will sound very picky, but what's with the Warner Archive just adding more titles each week to New, without moving the previous ones to the main list? There are now 86 titles listed as New. Am I the only one who misses seeing just the NEW titles listed each week as New? (see, I told you this was very picky ...)

Yeah, I wish they had a section for just the new titles of each week.

#3667 of 3673 OFFLINE   Justin Ray

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm sure this will sound very picky

Yes, it does.

#3668 of 3673 OFFLINE   riotengine

riotengine

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted September 05 2014 - 03:40 PM

Now that Andrew V. McLaglen has recently passed on, what are the chances of a release of his favorite film, the depression-era drama, Fool's Parade, (1970) which starred Jimmy Stewart, George Kennedy, Strother Martin, and Kurt Russell? It's a Columbia film, and it's had a few cable airings in the past few years, but it's very hard to see. This is a worthy release. One of the only two Davis Grubb novels adapted to film. The other was Night Of The Hunter.

Just a suggestion for a future Warner Archive/Sony Collector's Choice title. :)

Greg Espinoza

#3669 of 3673 OFFLINE   cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 323 posts

Posted September 05 2014 - 05:20 PM

Well, they don't ship outside the US, therefore nothing of interest for me. htf_images_smilies_frown.gif

Warner's are strange in this respect but you can  often find them selling on Amazon etc.

#3670 of 3673 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 737 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 14 2014 - 07:55 AM

If you look on the left hand side of the page, it says the new releases under "new for ____ date". Hope this helps.
  • PODER likes this
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#3671 of 3673 OFFLINE   williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 12:48 PM

POPULAR

Ron Hutchinson posted this yesterday on the Vitaphone Project Facebook page;

Working with Warner Bros and Warner Archives is always a pleasure, and we help each other whenever we can. Recently, WA contacted me to help on their planned DVD issue of the 1930 Olsen & Johnson feature OH, SAILOR BEHAVE! Apparently some of the soundtrack was missing or inaudible, and they needed to track down a Vitaphone soundtrack disk for one reel. Within a day, using our database of over 4000 disks in private hands, we pinpointed a complete set of pristine disks owned by collector --- and fortuitously sound engineer ---- Michael Kieffer. We arranged for Mike to professionally transfer the disks and get them to the folks at WA. All this took just a few weeks. Here are shots of my own disk (pressed in England) and my window card for the film.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Stephen_J_H, ahollis, JoHud and 1 other like this

#3672 of 3673 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts

Posted October 12 2014 - 02:10 AM

I watched Strange Lady In Town last night. It's one of the weakest Archive transfers I've seen, particularly the first half hour.

The film isn't very good either. The screenplay is a mis-judged mess and the acting is pretty bad throughout. Greer Garson is at her most mannered and artificial.

The film would have been a lot more interesting if the center of gravity had been the brother, played by Cameron Mitchell, and if the film had concentrated on the relationship between the brother and the sister instead of the relationship between the two doctors.

#3673 of 3673 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,645 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 12 2014 - 02:23 AM

I watched Strange Lady In Town last night. It's one of the weakest Archive transfers I've seen, particularly the first half hour.

The film isn't very good either. The screenplay is a mis-judged mess and the acting is pretty bad throughout. Greer Garson is at her most mannered and artificial.

The film would have been a lot more interesting if the center of gravity had been the brother, played by Cameron Mitchell, and if the film had concentrated on the relationship between the brother and the sister instead of the relationship between the two doctors.

I've just sample it on my 40" Sony and I don't necessarily agree so I'll have to watch the film in its entirety on my 65" Panny Plasma now.  As to the film I watched it many years ago and liked it then so this is an opportunity to see if my opinion of it has changed at all.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users