Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3666 replies to this topic

#3661 of 3667 Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted January 11 2013 - 01:16 PM

Actually, the silent version stars Richard Barthelmess, and it does survive in 35mm. It shows up at film festivals now and then (I've seen it).

#3662 of 3667 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted January 11 2013 - 01:36 PM

Danny, I stand corrected. Senility kicking in and relying on faulty memories... So glad to know the original version survives; wish it were made more readily available. Barthelmess is one of my favorites as well.

#3663 of 3667 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 05:25 AM

I just watched The Seventh Cross (1944) today, a strange but great film directed by Fred Zinnermann and starring Spencer Tracy. It was released by the Archive over a year ago. I was really impressed with the transfer for this one! Maybe they had worked on it for a retail DVD release, the quality was that good. Highly recommended!

#3664 of 3667 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,665 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:32 PM

I watched The Glass Slipper tonight, and I couldn't help shaking my head a little bit at how the Warner Archive has their act SO together. This 1954 film is routinely shown on TCM in 1.33. I had never seen it in widescreen even though I knew it should have been framed wide, yet the Warner Archive release properly shows it in 1.85:1.

The masters used at FMC which are incorrect are the very ones we usually get in THEIR Archive releases. There never seems to be any thought put into what their releases are going to look like.

True, there was no clean-up on The Glass Slipper, one of the trade-offs one must endure with most of the Archive releases from all of the studios, but at least the WA cares about presenting OAR. I am REALLY grateful for their conscientious effort to do things right.

• Mark Pytel likes this

#3665 of 3667 PODER

PODER

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 02:33 PM

I'm sure this will sound very picky, but what's with the Warner Archive just adding more titles each week to New, without moving the previous ones to the main list? There are now 86 titles listed as New. Am I the only one who misses seeing just the NEW titles listed each week as New? (see, I told you this was very picky ...)

#3666 of 3667 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted August 13 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm sure this will sound very picky, but what's with the Warner Archive just adding more titles each week to New, without moving the previous ones to the main list? There are now 86 titles listed as New. Am I the only one who misses seeing just the NEW titles listed each week as New? (see, I told you this was very picky ...)

Yeah, I wish they had a section for just the new titles of each week.

#3667 of 3667 Justin Ray

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm sure this will sound very picky

Yes, it does.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users