Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Nibiru and Planet X....What's this all about?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,936 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 09:43 AM

What is the story about this? I heard its a rogue planet who will hit or come near us in 2012. Is this what the new Emmerich film 2012 is about? I know some people think its real.

Thanks!
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 10:02 AM

According to a NASA Astro-biologist, it is a non existent hoax.

Search results Nibiru Ask an Astrobiologist NASA Astrobiology

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 04:27 PM

"According to a NASA Astro-biologist, it is a non existent hoax."

Is this like a double negative? If it's not a hoax, it's real -- right?

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted February 14 2009 - 05:30 PM

LOL @ Dan Posted Image

If this stuff interests you, check out Zecharia Sitchin and his 12th Planet writings.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 15 2009 - 01:36 AM

The 2012 date comes from the Mayan calendar, which ends, IIRC, on May 5th 2012 - supposedly predicting the end of the world. A number of mostly vague "prophecies' of one sort or another have been reinterpretted to also point to 2012 to cash in on the current interest. The "Planet X" thing appears to be just another example, dressed up in more plausible scientific form. When the sun rises on May 6, 2012, a lot of people are going to be very disappointed. Posted Image (But not properly embarassed, or any wiser. They will just announce that they forgot to carry the "7", select a new date for the end of the world and start the whole process again.)

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 03:37 AM

Yes, you got me, I did not phrase it correctly, my mistake. Posted Image

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 05:19 AM

I thought Planet X was supposed to hit some years back.

I guess it is like the transition to digital tv...the date just gets pushed back and will probably never happen.
Look up!  Scream in terror!  Get smooshed!  Fear me, for I am PARTYZILLA!

facebook.com/getthebuzz  facebook.com/partyzilla

#8 of 28 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
The 2012 date comes from the Mayan calendar, which ends, IIRC, on May 5th 2012 - supposedly predicting the end of the world. A number of mostly vague "prophecies' of one sort or another have been reinterpretted to also point to 2012 to cash in on the current interest. The "Planet X" thing appears to be just another example, dressed up in more plausible scientific form. When the sun rises on May 6, 2012, a lot of people are going to be very disappointed. Posted Image (But not properly embarassed, or any wiser. They will just announce that they forgot to carry the "7", select a new date for the end of the world and start the whole process again.)

Regards, Joe
If one did a search for "end of world prophecies", one would get quite a few results.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 09:40 AM

This site has a lot of those end of world scenarios/theories. Planet X is in there

WELCOME TO EXIT MUNDI: A COLLECTION OF END-OF-WORLD SCENARIOS
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#10 of 28 ONLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 15 2009 - 11:42 AM

Quote:
Mayan calendar, which ends, IIRC, on May 5th 2012

Is that Eastern or Central Standard time? Posted Image

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,668 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 15 2009 - 11:45 PM

Isn't that the planet that Marvin Martian and Daffy Duck battled over? Posted Image

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted February 16 2009 - 03:39 AM

Quote:
Is that Eastern or Central Standard time?

Yucatan is in the Central time zone, so I guess the Mayan calendar uses that time zone.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,554 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 12:02 AM

Quote:
The 2012 date comes from the Mayan calendar, which ends, IIRC, on May 5th 2012 - supposedly predicting the end of the world.
This kills me. When writing a calendar, you've got to get tired and quit at some point. The only alternative is to make a calendar that never ends, and that seems to be the only thing the Mayans could have done to avoid perpetrating this belief. Too bad it's impossible.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,936 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 01:59 AM

Sounds like some people have been watching too much "When Worlds Collide". Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
This kills me. When writing a calendar, you've got to get tired and quit at some point. The only alternative is to make a calendar that never ends, and that seems to be the only thing the Mayans could have done to avoid perpetrating this belief. Too bad it's impossible.
Really, the economy could have gone south and the calendar dept was closed due to cut backs.

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 17 2009 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobbins
Really, the economy could have gone south and the calendar dept was closed due to cut backs.

Well, not quite. Posted Image As it happens, the Mayan calendar traces a 5,000+ year cycle called the "Long Count." In Mayan notation, December 21st 2012 (not May 5th, as I said earlier) is expressed as the equivalent of 13.0.0.0.0. December 22nd is expressed as 0.0.0.0.0 and December 23rd as 0.0.0.0.1. In other words, the calendar doesn't "end" at all. Like the odometer on your car, when the cycle reaches its limit, it starts over again. The Maya thought this would usher in a "new age", just as the last completion of the cycle circa 3012 B.C.E. would have ushered in a new era and the next one circa 7012 C.E. will. None of these events was thought to be "the end of the world".

Gia's Blog has a pretty good run-down on the whole thing.

Regards,

Joe

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 17 2009 - 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
Isn't that the planet that Marvin Martian and Daffy Duck battled over? Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Joe

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
Like the odometer on your car, when the cycle reaches its limit, it starts over again. The Maya thought this would usher in a "new age", just as the last completion of the cycle circa 3012 B.C.E. would have ushered in a new era and the next one circa 7012 C.E. will. None of these events was thought to be "the end of the world".

Exactly. In Western culture the next age is popularly known as the Age of Aquarius. So, even though our people have forgotten about our longest calendar measurement, it still appears as a song in a musical.

References to different Ages are pretty slim nowadays. In Egypt you've got the Sphinx in Egypt referring to the Age of Leo -- "when the 'lion' constellation would have risen heliacally (at dawn before the sun) on the day of the spring (vernal) equinox. This event brought the celestial lion to rest due east, thus in perfect alignment with the Sphinx. The Sphinx, in other words, was made to look at his own image in the horizon".

But in the US, our buildings aren't made with any particular references at all.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 01:38 PM

Isn't it now supposed to be Planet IX? Given that we only have eight planets now... Posted Image

#20 of 28 ONLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 17 2009 - 07:29 PM

Since this will be the second 5000 year rollover, we might want to rotate the tires...

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow