What's new

Sea Hunt (1 Viewer)

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
With alot of the more obscure 1950's shows coming out on dvd I hope someone picks up Sea Hunt. I buy season sets of this in a heartbeat.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
The problem with "Sea Hunt" being released on DVD lies with the series' ownership . . . .
ZIV --> United Artists --> MGM --> Sony
I'd have to guess that it would take some sort of licensing deal from Sony to an independent to get this released. It's a shame, because outside of some public domain episode releases here and there, the ZIV catalog remains largely unreleased on DVD. "Sea Hunt," "Bat Masterson," and "Highway Patrol" are, arguably, the highest profile ZIV series.
There is a single episode of the series titled "Mark of the Octopus" which is possibly in the public domain and has been released on several TV episode compilations including these:
Tv's Greatest Shows | DVD TV Series
Mill Creek Details Page
If you're looking for some under water TV adventures, Alpha Video released two volumes of the "Sea Hunt" clone "Assignment: Underwater" a few years ago.
http://www.oldies.com/product-view/9556D.html

JeffT.

Screenwriter
htf_imgcache_38375.jpeg

I wouldn't call SEA HUNT starring Lloyd Bridges obscure as it was a very popular show in its time and even sometime later when carried in general tv syndication.
It is part of the legendary Ziv Television Productions group that falls under the auspices of United Artists Television now under the ownership of MGM Home Entertainment.
There is still a devout SEA HUNT cult following of a sort especially among professional scuba divers.
SEA HUNT MAIN OPENING TITLE with its memorable theme composed by David Rose (Click Here).
SEA HUNT CLOSING TITLE (Click Here).
Jeff T.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
I see this pop-up a lot with regard to MGM's tv shows and films. Although Sony is a partial owner of MGM (20%). They do not own any of MGM films and really have no say in the day to day operations, especially with regards to home video. Sony had their chance running the company when MGM was first bought by the financial group of which they are part. They did a poor job and MGM now runs itself. It seems Fox has started to licence some of their TV shows to Shout so I expect there is a possibility they will broker some of MGM's shows to Shout too.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
In one of the national publish aviation/military history magazines I saw a ad for Sea Hunt and I think Sky King on dvd . They also had all the season also vhs tapes so I'd suspect that the dvd's were rip from a video tape source. I was never able to track down much infromation on the company or find reviews if they (but were US based) legit or find any review on the sets quality. Its out there it a question if its legit or not.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I seem to remember a link for a legit Sky King release somewhere, perhaps similar to the "Steve Canyon" release, not from a major studio but from an estate, etc. I passed on the Sky King set due to the price and unknown quality, lack of informaton about the set.
Count me in for an official Sea Hunt release.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Not to sound like an ad but...
the "Sky King" DVD set is being offered by Flying Crown Enterprises and is from 16mm prints. Although not pristine sharp, they are quite acceptable.
This is the full 72 episode run.
Rumors of additonal episodes being destroyed in a fire, are untrue.
BTW...count me in for a "Sea Hunt" DVD release. It LONG overdue.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I'm really stunned that no studio has picked up Sea Hunt. You'd think it would be a good one for Alpha Video.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
If you go on ebay and type in Sea Hunt dvd it comes up with a four volume set from a guy who "current owns the copyright" on sea hunt. I'm looking for reviews of the set but no luck so far.:confused:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
BobSchneider said:
If you go on ebay and type in Sea Hunt dvd it comes up with a four volume set from a guy who "current owns the copyright" on sea hunt. I'm looking for reviews of the set but no luck so far.:confused:
Those are 'boots. You'll see two or three different versions of particular set running around all over the place. :frowning:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
According to a post on this site , Sea Hunt will be coming to DVD along with two other ZIV titles. I hope that's true .

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Ran through this recently on This TV. Excellent series and I'd love to be able to purchase season releases of it on DVD. Manages to largely escape appearing cheap at every turn like some of their other titles like Highway Patrol do.
Sometimes wonder just how much good this did for skin diving though. Watching Sea Hunt, you'd be led to believe there's some frogman behind every rock with a knife just waiting for a innocent diver to wander by to knock off.
lol

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
LeoAmes said:
Ran through this recently on This TV. Excellent series and I'd love to be able to purchase season releases of it on DVD. Manages to largely escape appearing cheap at every turn like some of their other titles like Highway Patrol do.
Sometimes wonder just how much good this did for skin diving though. Watching Sea Hunt, you'd be led to believe there's some frogman behind every rock with a knife just waiting for a innocent diver to wander by to knock off.
lol
Watching my "Canadian Alternates" :D I noticed the end of the each show featured LLoyd saying a plug about skin diving and safety. A similar plug for skydiving is seen at the end of another ZIV series, Ripcord. I'd GLADLY purchase an official release of each show if they were to come out, MOD or Pressed!:cool:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
For those who are interesed in owning Sea Hunt on DVD, a company called TGG Direct will be issuing 60 episodes on DVD this fall. The release is being called "Sea Hunt : a 24 Hour Marathon". This according to a post on the TV On DVD Site. There will be a similar release devoted to Bat Masterson. While it doesn't seem like these multi -disc sets will contain complete seasons , it will still be nice to have both of these shows on DVD.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
LouA said:
For those who are interesed in owning Sea Hunt on DVD, a company called TGG Direct will be issuing 60 episodes on DVD this fall. The release is being called "Sea Hunt : a 24 Hour Marathon". This according to a post on the TV On DVD Site. There will be a similar release devoted to Bat Masterson. While it doesn't seem like these multi -disc sets will contain complete seasons , it will still be nice to have both of these shows on DVD.
The problem I have with TGG is how they are putting things out, not in season sets, but big chunks. It's going to lead to odd-number count boxes - there's 155 Episodes of Sea Hunt, and 107 episodes of Bat Masterson. There's no way they can do all uniform sized content boxes.
Are the "60" episodes even in sequence?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DeWilson said:
The problem I have with TGG is how they are putting things out, not in season sets, but big chunks. It's going to lead to odd-number count boxes - there's 155 Episodes of Sea Hunt, and 107 episodes of Bat Masterson. There's no way they can do all uniform sized content boxes.
Going by the In The Heat of the Night box, no. These boxes are just random episodes from all unreleased seasons of the shows... at least in the case of In The Heat of The Night. There are no episodes from the first season release, but the rest of the episodes are just random ones from the remainder of the run.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by DeWilson /t/281737/sea-hunt#post_3978873
Season sets are the standard for TV on DVD releases. Consumers are accepting and appreciative of this. Why at this stage of the game we have companies, especially the smaller ones, that seem oblivious to this, I don't understand. Maybe there is a reason, but what is it? I would like to have both of these shows, but what do I get with these releases. 24 hour marathon? - that doesn't mean anything to me for a DVD release.

I don't mean to come across as overly critical - just why can't we get these released as season sets or a complete series?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ChrisALM said:
Season sets are the standard for TV on DVD releases. Consumers are accepting and appreciative of this. Why at this stage of the game we have companies, especially the smaller ones, that seem oblivious to this, I don't understand. Maybe there is a reason, but what is it? I would like to have both of these shows, but what do I get with these releases. 24 hour marathon? - that doesn't mean anything to me for a DVD release.
I don't mean to come across as overly critical - just why can't we get these released as season sets or a complete series?
I'd even be accepting of these "24 hour marathon" releases as long as they included the episodes in broadcast or production order.
For example, there are 24 episodes of Bat Masterson already on DVD... The new box set could be the next 60 episodes after what's already released, and I'd be thrilled with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks