(order of no significance)
44.0 Mike Frezon
50.0 Kevin Stewart
33.5 Patrick Sun*
32.5 mike caronia
*Note: Those in brown are HTF moderators or relatives and are not eligible for the prize package, just the prestige. Therefore, nine members will be competing for "the goodies."
LINK TO CURRENT EXCEL SPREADSHEET HERE
(Shows tabulation of scoring - requires MS Office or spreadsheet displayer to view)
THE FINAL FOURTEEN SURVIVORS
(order of eviction noted in blue)
Survivor:Gabon (Season 17) will be starting on Thursday September 25, 2008 at 8:00pm EDT. We will be hosting another HTF Top Ten Challenge here. The official rules are posted below. While you are waiting for the start of the contest please take some time to add a "placeholder" to this thread so that I can begin to set things up. Remember, these "placeholders" are for informational purposes only and do not obligate you to join. Nor does the position of the placeholder indicate any advantage in this contest - as long time participants already know. It's just helpful to get a handle on how many possible entrants we might have this year.
Here are a couple of links that might be of interest.
1. For newcomers and those who might want to refresh themselves regarding how these contests play out, look at this thread from an earlier contest in this format.
2. Discuss Survivor #17: Gabon in general (and not any contest related issues) this thread has already started.
We are announcing our HTF Top Ten Challenge for Survivor: Gabon which debuts on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 8:00 pm EDT. Here's how it works in a nutshell. There are supposedly 18 entrants listed at the Official CBS Survivor:Gabon site. Their names are:
(order of eviction noted in blue if they didn't make the final fourteen listed above)
Instead of asking you to pick "blindly" we won't open the competition until several episodes have aired. This way all entrants have a chance to "handicap" their choices since experience has shown that the bios and other information on several web sights can be misleading at times. There is no substitute for seeing the particupants in person and in the field.
The contest will officially open on Thursday, October 9, 2008. At that time you will be asked to submit a list of your top ten entrants (out of a pool of the remaining contestants.) Entries will close before 8pm EDT on October 16, 2008. The choice of dates is not arbitrary. Right after October 16th I will be leaving for Hollywood to participate in the HTF L.A. event and it will become inconvenient to set up the final listing for the pool while on the road. Additionally, the timing allows everyone to see a few episodes before finalizing their lists. If everything goes according to schedule you will probably be picking from a pool of 14 remaining contestants - although this could change if there are any surprises or CBS scheduling shifts.
Here are the more formal rules:
- Only ONE entry per member.
- List your top ten in numerical order (1-10). Please use the names as listed on the roster above.
- Your list must be unique. No duplicate lists allowed. For duplicate lists, first submission gets that list.
- Once you submit a list, it is FINAL. No edited lists are allowed (unless your original list is invalid due to a mistake or a duplication.)
- Scoring is as follows: You are assigned 1 point for each position that your prediction is away from the final position of each contestant. For example, if you predict a contestant to come in 3rd and he or she comes in 7th you get 4 points. If that contestant comes in 12th you get 9 points. A 2nd place finish gets you 1 point. And so forth.
- Lowest total points wins (with a score of 0 points being the best possible score.) The current "record" is 9.0 points by Dheiner.
- In the event of a tie the contest winner will be the entrant who was the fewest spots away from picking the winner. If it's still a tie, then we'll move down the list and determine who was closest to predicting the second spot, and so on, until the tie is eventually broken.
Here are a couple of words of explanation regarding this particular contest and the rationale behind the setup.
- Since there are, according to the Survivor:Gabon web site, eighteen entrants and you are picking a top ten there will be some contestants that you will not be picking. This will not change the scoring as indicated above. You choose only ten contestants and some might not even make it to the top ten (which adds a bit more of a challenge to the contest.)
- Survivor, as many of these reality shows, is known for its unpredictability so it is quite possible that an ousted "survivor" might return. A few years ago on American Idol 6 two contestants were voted off the same night so instead of a "5th" and "6th" position we decided to assign two "5.5" positions for the purposes of scoring. That's why the rules clearly specify the "final" position of ouster for each contestant. It's not over until it's over, and who knows what twists this season will bring? And if there are unforeseen circumstances we will make a determination that will be fair to all entrants as much as possible. (Otherwise we will return your entry fee ).
- We all know that the descriptions provided by web sites are often misleading (sometimes intentionally I often suspect to make the show more intriguing) and that there is no substitute for actually seeing the participants and listening to what comes out of their mouths. That's why I provide a bit of a preview period and the deadline won't be until the first few survivors have been eliminated. In other words, you get to see who the contestants are and have to select ten out of those remaining. This also lets us see if there are some special situations that we must take into account before making our final choices.
This will help me when I set up the spreadsheet to monitor the scoring.
Remember that you are free to start submitting your unique list anytime you want. However, realize that once submitted, it's final (unless someone else submitted the same list chronologically before you.) And it just makes sense to wait until after the October 9, 2008 show since you will know who the remaining survivors are. If you jump the gun and submit a list with someone who's voted off first or second then you are stuck with that choice. It is to your advantage to wait until close to the deadline.
Finally, in order to get some idea of how many people are interested in participating in this contest I am asking you to insert a "place holder" in this thread for now as a courtesy. This is for tabulation purposes only and doesn't mean that you get to choose first. It's still "first list submitted" in the case of duplicate lists.
Thank you, and let the games begin! (on October 9, 2008)
And for those of you who have taken the trouble to read through this entire message (and who have "survived" it!) here's a bit of "inside" information: We have been able to make an arrangement to offer the winner of this contest a prize that should make a victory a bit sweeter than just HTF bragging rights. While the exact prize for the winner is yet to be determined let's just say that it involves some HT software. The exact title(s) will be announced near the close of the contest because we are looking to provide some of the latest releases. Maybe even a surprise or two! As they say, "Film at eleven!"
Incidentally, HTF moderators and their friends, yada yada yada, will not be eligible for prizes so that leaves such people only in it for the honor and glory, not the discs. If an HTF staff member or family wins then we move down to the first eligible entrant as the prize winner.