Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My Home Theater and Lobby are finally up and running!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 01:49 AM

I've wanted a dedicated home theater and lobby area for almost a decade, but never had the space to make it happen. My wife and I recently had a new home built, and my long-time dream having a dedicated home theater and lobby has finally be realized.

Everything is functional, but I plan to further improve the theater and lobby in the coming months.

Here are a couple quick photos, but on my Home Theater page I have many more before/after photos, videos, links, descriptions and information on my plans to improve the theater & lobby.

Now I just need to name it. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   slimmatic

slimmatic

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 06:41 AM

Looks great. We are in the process of redoing ours, and plan to have a concession type area like yours.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,303 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 11:14 AM

Just wanted to congradulate you on your new dedicated home theater room, very nice! Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 02:06 AM

Nice! tastefully done. How about "Stone Cinema" ?

and, get that phone out of the room! sheesh, you want to be interrupted in the middle of a battle sequence? Posted Image
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 08:25 AM

Looks very nice. Congrats! The whole house looks great. I like how you terminated your audio cables into the back of the plate. Gives it a much cleaner look than having the cables just coming out of the wall, even if it is in a closet.

What are the room dimensions if you don't mind my asking?

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   don monteith

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 08:41 AM

Clean and classy!! I really like it.

Don

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 26 2008 - 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmatic
Looks great. We are in the process of redoing ours, and plan to have a concession type area like yours.
We're really enjoying the lobby and theater. Good luck with yours, I'm sure you'll love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
Just wanted to congradulate you on your new dedicated home theater room, very nice! Posted Image
Thanks, Dave. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg
Nice! tastefully done. How about "Stone Cinema" ?
I was trying to come up with a name that's a little different. Right now I kind of like "The 10 Palms Theater" or "10 Palms Cinema" (there are 10 palm trees in my front yard). I'm still mulling it over, and probably will be for awhile. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg
and, get that phone out of the room! sheesh, you want to be interrupted in the middle of a battle sequence? Posted Image
Oh, the phone is just in the lobby--there's no phone in the theater (and cell phones are NOT allowed in the theater Posted Image).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel...Lane
Looks very nice. Congrats! The whole house looks great. I like how you terminated your audio cables into the back of the plate. Gives it a much cleaner look than having the cables just coming out of the wall, even if it is in a closet.
Thanks, Joel. Posted Image

Yeah, wire clutter is a big pet-peeve of mine; I think it can ruin the appearance of an otherwise very nice setup. I guess that's just the network administrator in me coming out. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel...Lane
What are the room dimensions if you don't mind my asking?
Pretty small, actually: The theater is just 15'4" long by 12'1" wide, and the lobby is roughly 12'10"x15'1".

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 26 2008 - 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don monteith
Clean and classy!! I really like it.
Thanks, Don. Posted Image

There is still a lot more that I want to do (both in the lobby and in the theater), but the idea is to build on what I have without getting too opulent. I don't have the budget to place form over function (at least not too much!)

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Nick P

Nick P

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted July 27 2008 - 04:55 AM

John - Theater and lobby look fantastic. How do you like the Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB projector? I'm looking to upgrade my old 56" RPTV with either a front projector or something like the Mitsubishi 73" DLP RP.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick P
How do you like the Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB projector?
I love it--the image is fantastic (note: I had it ISF calibrated). The blacks are deep and very detailed, and the colors are vivid and bright without looking unnatural.

I have two complaints about the 1080 UB, but they are fairly minor:

The convergence is a tiny bit off. This is only noticeable at distances closer than the seating distance, so it's not really an issue. Convergence is the one strike against the 1080 UB that I've heard repeated a lot; however, the buzz these days is that the units coming out now are much improved over the earlier units. I know mine looks great unless I get right up on it, and even then it's just a pixel off. Most people would never notice. My wife has no idea what I'm talking about, no matter how close she gets.

The other complaint is that my SVS was causing the screen image to shake when played at, or near, reference (my preferred movie watching volume). I tried decoupling the sub to no avail, and was about to decouple the projector mount with spring clips, when it was suggested that I take a small piece of index card and wedge it between the inner and outer lens housing. It worked perfectly--the image is now rock solid! Not bad for a 2 second free fix. Posted Image

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   L8NVR

L8NVR

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 06:02 AM

Really nice job. Clean and tidy. Well done.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Nick P

Nick P

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone
I love it--the image is fantastic (note: I had it ISF calibrated). The blacks are deep and very detailed, and the colors are vivid and bright without looking unnatural.
Do you have experience with any 1080p DLP RPTV units? Can you compare the image (brightness, sharpness, ect.) from the 2 different displays?

Quote:
The convergence is a tiny bit off.
Even after ISF calibration?

Quote:
The other complaint is that my SVS was causing the screen image to shake when played at, or near, reference (my preferred movie watching volume). I tried decoupling the sub to no avail, and was about to decouple the projector mount with spring clips, when it was suggested that I take a small piece of index card and wedge it between the inner and outer lens housing. It worked perfectly--the image is now rock solid! Not bad for a 2 second free fix. Posted Image
That's funny. I'd be in the same situation as I have a twin 20-39 CS+ / Samson 1000 combo in my room.

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 06:14 PM

Man, I love your setup. It's neat and not overboard in it's decor. The lobby, now that's really awesome. Taking the time to do one of those shows hardcore love for home theater. The setup Rocks man. Keep the updates comin' bro.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 12:26 AM

Quote:
Do you have experience with any 1080p DLP RPTV units? Can you compare the image (brightness, sharpness, ect.) from the 2 different displays?
I do. I have a 61" Samsung 1080p DLP HDTV, a couple of 42" LCD HDTVs and a 52" plasma HDTV; I find the image from the Epson projector to be the most "film-like" and the most pleasing of the bunch.

Of course there are other factors involved in my satisfaction with the projected image, not the least of which is the Stewart filmscreen, which I feel was well worth the money. Also, the projector and my HD-DVD and Blu-ray players can do 24 FPS, while none of the HDTVs can.

Quote:
Even after ISF calibration?
As I understand it there are no means to adjust the convergence via software. I've been told that units exhibiting unacceptable convergence must be returned as defective.

Quote:
That's funny. I'd be in the same situation as I have a twin 20-39 CS+ / Samson 1000 combo in my room.
I've got a 20-39 CS downstairs in the family room. That was my first SVS, and it's flat-out awesome. I'll bet two of them sound insane! Posted Image

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy evans
Man, I love your setup. It's neat and not overboard in it's decor. The lobby, now that's really awesome. Taking the time to do one of those shows hardcore love for home theater. The setup Rocks man. Keep the updates comin' bro.
Thanks! I'm trying to obtain a pinball machine for the lobby right now, so that'll probably be next. Posted Image

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 01:21 PM

Great looking theater. I can't wait until I move again so I rebuild my theater from scratch... I'm so jealous of all these new theaters.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Nick P

Nick P

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
I do. I have a 61" Samsung 1080p DLP HDTV, a couple of 42" LCD HDTVs and a 52" plasma HDTV; I find the image from the Epson projector to be the most "film-like" and the most pleasing of the bunch.

Of course there are other factors involved in my satisfaction with the projected image, not the least of which is the Stewart filmscreen, which I feel was well worth the money. Also, the projector and my HD-DVD and Blu-ray players can do 24 FPS, while none of the HDTVs can.
I'm kinda on the fence at the moment. One half of me knows I would love the large fixed screen and the other half thinks I'd be happier with the cyrstal clear image of the DLP RPTV.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Czyz
Great looking theater. I can't wait until I move again so I rebuild my theater from scratch... I'm so jealous of all these new theaters.
I know how you feel. Until I had my new home built, I just didn't have room at my old house. I've been waiting nearly 10 years for this!

I hope you get yours soon. Posted Image

Quote:
I'm kinda on the fence at the moment. One half of me knows I would love the large fixed screen and the other half thinks I'd be happier with the cyrstal clear image of the DLP RPTV.
Trust me, the image is crystal clear on the projector. I'll grant you that most standard def DVDs don't look that great blown up to 110" (even upconverted with my XA2), but HD material is jaw-dropping.

Here are a few screenshots I took with a crappy handheld digital camera (which is responsible for the barrel distortion--sorry about that). The screenshots don't even come close to telling the story of how awesome it is to see these 8-foot across images brought to life in 24fps goodness. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Nick P

Nick P

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 02:10 PM

^^^Those screen shots do look great. All of those are from 1080p disks? I can't find a theater store with a properly setup projector viewing room for me to see in person. I'd essentially be making a blind buy which makes me a little nervous.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,303 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hey Nick,

If you are in the Phoenix area you could check out Showcase Home Entertainment. They have a couple of rooms set up with projection. Showcase is also part of another store called Tweeter.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

Back to Members' Theaters, HT Projects, Remotes, Seating, Accessories & Lighting

Forum Nav Content I Follow