Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Dark City: Director's Cut" coming to Blu-ray on July 29

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#41 of 389 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 28 2008 - 11:45 AM

i think you mis read bill's posting. "Dark City is a GREAT little sci-fi flick, so this is pretty cool news in our book. You'll find the cover art for BOTH versions below." both versions = blu-ray + sd dvd the image of the blu ray only says director's cut on the front.
facebook.com/whotony

#42 of 389 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,273 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 08:54 PM

..it looks like it will have both cuts of the film...
Where does it says that?

#43 of 389 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 09:17 PM

Where does it says that?
it doesnt, see my post above.
facebook.com/whotony

#44 of 389 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 03:52 AM

Well, now that I've seen a larger version of the cover art, I now recognize the spread-eagled figure. It's only the machine head that leaves me scratching my own. I'm not griping, though--the cover is catching a lot of flack over at DVDTalk, but when the alternative would be Hollywood's 1,000,000,000th "floating celebrity heads" cover, I'll take this more artistic version any day of the week...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#45 of 389 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,060 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 29 2008 - 10:42 AM

It seems pretty clear from the Bits post that this will only have the extended version.

Hope I like it! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#46 of 389 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 11:19 AM

I can't imagine it being so objectionably different that wouldn't want it, therefore it's worth a blind buy. In light of the bits of information that are leaking through from elsewhere, it would be nice if Warner would go ahead and give us official info, if nothing else, to stop the rumors and the speculating. It's hardly a matter of national security, so there shouldn't be very much prepping involved.

#47 of 389 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 12:19 PM

Sometimes it is a pleasure to be wrong, and if the following is true then I happily admit that I was.

'Dark City' Blu-ray Disc Specs, Cover Art Revealed

[quote]
* Introduction by Alex Proyas
* Memories of Shell Beach Making-of documentary
* Architecture of Dreams documentary
* Production Gallery
* Text Essays
* Neil Gaiman Review of Dark City
* Director's Cut Fact Track
* Theatrical Trailer
* Multiple audio commentary tracks featuring director Alex Proyas, writers Lem Dobbs and David S. Goyer, director of photography Dariusz Wolski, production designer Patrick Tatopoulos and film critic Roger Ebert

Dark City: Director's Cut on Blu-ray will carry an SRP of $28.99. Click through the disc details below to view high resolution front and back cover art.

[quote]
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#48 of 389 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,653 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted May 14 2008 - 01:02 PM

Outstanding news that this release will include the theatrical cut, as well as Roger Ebert's commentary for same. All that and a very reasonable SRP. This is a must-buy for me.
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#49 of 389 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 01:29 PM

Outstanding indeed. Very much looking foward to this now. Getting both this and Starship Troopers on the same day seems like an embarassment of riches after so much "meh"!

#50 of 389 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 03:32 PM

i might head over to whv.warnerbros.com now to order it.
facebook.com/whotony

#51 of 389 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 04:19 PM

Holy crap! Amazing how the worm turns isn't it? Didn't I tell certain "wet blankets" to wait for the details before throwing a hissy fit? Posted Image

Am I allowed a "geekgasm" now? Posted Image

A big Posted Image Posted Image to New Line/Warner.
Death before Streaming!

#52 of 389 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 04:25 PM

Holy crap! Amazing how the worm turns isn't it? Didn't I tell certain "wet blankets" to wait for the details before throwing a hissy fit? Posted Image

Am I allowed a "geekgasm" now? Posted Image

A big Posted Image Posted Image to New Line/Warner.

Yeah, well, you can't blame us for being wary where HDM is concerned these days now can you? I was going to order this either way, so this is just 'icing on the cake'.

Here's hoping New Line doesn't DNR the hell out of this release! OK, 'wet blanket'-mode restored and all seems right with the universe, for me, again. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#53 of 389 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 14 2008 - 05:00 PM

i might head over to whv.warnerbros.com now to order it.
Done, for about $14 on Blu! Thats a friggin steal, for a fantastic movie!

#54 of 389 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,692 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 05:48 PM

Pre-ordered mine today at Amazon. Looking forward to getting this one on Blu. Posted Image
Recently watched- Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 4, Wolfen, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 3, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 1, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 1, The Equalizer: Season 4, The Solid Gold Kidnapping, Wine,Women and War, The Six Million Dollar Man, Star Trek: Season 2, Zardoz, Royal Flash

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 3, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 5

"Are we going to stand around here all day or are we going to fight?"

#55 of 389 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 15 2008 - 02:03 AM

Holy crap! Amazing how the worm turns isn't it? Didn't I tell certain "wet blankets" to wait for the details before throwing a hissy fit?
I like to think my hissy fit was a force for change. Seriously, I'm extremely suprised how comprehensive this release looks to be. Kudos to Warner for not doing it half assed (at least in the features dept.). Very happy to have been wrong. Like Paul A., I just hope now we get as unmanipulated an image as possible. I'll be looking forward to this one with great anticipation now. cheers

#56 of 389 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,887 posts

Posted May 15 2008 - 08:42 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

BTW, RickER, how are you getting it for just $14? I thought 25% off $20 = $15 (and doesn't WHV charge sales tax?). Just wondering.

Think I'll be placing my first order w/ WHV as well. Dark City, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta and Shawshank -- I believe that's just enough for the free shipping.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#57 of 389 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts

Posted May 15 2008 - 08:59 AM

comes to just under 15 for me too, no tax to delaware. maybe it's like gas prices, $3.99 9/10 is $3.99 not $4.00
facebook.com/whotony

#58 of 389 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 15 2008 - 09:01 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

BTW, RickER, how are you getting it for just $14? I thought 25% off $20 = $15 (and doesn't WHV charge sales tax?). Just wondering.

Think I'll be placing my first order w/ WHV as well. Dark City, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta and Shawshank -- I believe that's just enough for the free shipping.

_Man_

Yea, its $14 and some change, closer to 15. But no sales tax, and since my order was over $50 i got the free shipping as well. You know, for years i have fallen for the marketing thing of seeing something for, oh lets say $14.99 and calling it $14. And that is of course what they want you to see. But still, its a good 50% off MSRP, and about $4 to $5 cheaper than even Amazon.

#59 of 389 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 10:57 AM

Looks like New Line ruined Dark City with another round of EE and DNR.

Posted Image

#60 of 389 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 01:14 PM

Doesn't look bad to me. I agree it looks like they did a bit of noise reduction, and compensated with some edge enhancement, but at least everyone's skin still has pores, etc. I guess the big difference between edge enhancement in the dvd era versus edge enhancement in the BluRay era is that there's no ringing or halos around high contrast edges when edge enhancement is applied in BluRay. In the screen shot above, for example, if that were a dvd there'd be a white line along his cheek, but there isn't here, and yet the line of his cheek is sharp. I can live with it.

The comparisons on DVDBeaver show off how good the new version looks compared to the dvd:
Dark City Blu-ray Jennifer Connelly

I am particularly pleased that the new transfer pulls out a bit more.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users