"Dark City: Director's Cut" coming to Blu-ray on July 29

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jesse Blacklow, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    [​IMG]

2. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

It'd be great if there was seamless branching.

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

4. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Huh?
    I don't hear anybody around here having "geekgasms", as you put it? Who put a burr up your butt? I'm just extremely glad to see this film coming to BD. I don't give a piss if it's an all-inclusive, "everything" release or not. As far as I'm concerned it's a truly great, dare I say visionary, bit of sci-fi filmmaking. Please excuse our collective geekgasms.
    Ron-P, thanks for including the promo. Looks great, and I don't think it gets any more official.

5. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

There's always making your own custom HDDVD or Blu via a HD broadcast of the Theatrical Version if the BD doesn't have it. Don't see why it'd be a big deal making your own copies of HDDVD's(3x DVD's in alot of cases)/Blu's from High Definition broadcasts of films which aren't even on both formats yet. There's even a thread at AVS forum on how to do it. No, this obviously isn't even bootlegging since alot of these titles/versions of titles aren't even on High Definition disc formats which are broadcast. Too bad my HD on Demand provider is basically crap/shite regarding 2.35:1 material. They MAR it which pisses me off.
    Anyhow. Can't wait to eventually buy this release! And hopefully it uses seamless branching for both cuts, carries over all the DVD extras, uses a high encode AVC or VC1 where it retains both the look of the film and the grain, has lossless audio and a ton of new extras. All in glorious 1080p on a BD-50 platter. One or two discs is up to them and I don't have a problem with that.[​IMG]

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

my previous comments were based on my understanding that
    1) the film contains new effects work. the extent of this- whether they replace existing shots or are for addtional scenes, I don't know.
    2) specific attention has been given to altering the pacing of the film.
    3) I've also heard the entire score has been replaced.
    For me, when you make those kinds of substanative alterations, it ceases to be the film I know and is now something else. Sometimes these clearly work out to the advantage of the story being told, but more often than not these directors cuts strike me as being full of ego-centric indulgences that work against the spell that the original film was able to cast..
    If this were an announcement of the theatrical AND directors cuts, I would be excited cause I already know I'm very fond of at least one of those presentations. The DC , otoh, is a completely unknown quantity that might strike me ( or you) as great or horrible or anywhere in between. It just seems odd to me that so many here and elsewhere don't seem to be at all discerning about this aspect. In fact I fully expect to be reading more posts about more people being hung up on whether the disc will have a lossless soundtrack, rather than worrying about how much of the original film experience itself might be 'lost' in this release.

8. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

I would venture it is because you are in the minority with this observation: "Sometimes these clearly work out to the advantage of the story being told, but more often than not these directors cuts strike me as being full of ego-centric indulgences that work against the spell that the original film was able to cast."

9. David Wilkins

Paul,
    First off, my response to your earlier post was probably a bit edgy and over reactive. Too much coffee.
    The kind of over indulgence that you refer to regarding director's cuts, I feel, represents a scant minority of such editions. The great offender in that regard, probably applies to situations where a studio is pulling a marketing stunt by repackaging a particular movie as a "DC", when the director has little if anything to do with the changes made.
    There are many more examples where the current home video market has freed a filmmaker to release to the public his work as originally intended. More often than not, the filmmaker is better positioned to craft a project than is studio management, governed by studio politics or perceived demands of the marketplace during theatrical release. As many of us know, there are multitudes of reasons why a film gets tethered in, so far as scope of content, or the all too prevalent run-time issue. The number of directors who have full control over their work for the purpose of theatrical release, are miniscule at best.
    And in the end, all of this chatter is meaningless, as NONE of us have a clue as to what's included in this particular release. My excitement is over having the title on BD, period. I paid scant attention to the wording of the announcement, and for the most part, I am unconcerned. The odds of this fine film being ruined by ill-advised meddling, are extremely small. And if the director had a controlling hand in the final product...well, then, it's his vision and his movie, whether or not it caters to your likes or mine. Either way, I'm onboard for this one.
    P.S.: It just occurred to me. We're talking about movies again! Not who's winning the war. Not market penetration or price points. Yeee, ha!

10. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

11. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

By the way, I *think* I love the cover art--it seems quite evocative and striking--but what precisely am I looking at? I don't recall either the machine head or the spread-eagled figure from the film; have I just gone and embarassed myself by betraying how long it's been since I've watched the film?

12. David Wilkins

I'm with you there, and I'm hoping it doesn't signal some large departure from the original content. That would be bad.
    I'm hoping that some "insider" who has at least a few details about this cut of the film, and this Blu-ray presentation, will come forward, even if it's partial and unofficial. Anybody out there?

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    that sheet doesnt indicate anything about theatrical cut.

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    ron how did you come across that image

15. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

16. andrew markworthy

17. Jim-J

Jim-J Agent

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I don't know that I'd read that much into it. If it said "Also includes" then maybe. [​IMG]

19. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I agree. Honestly, I think anyone expecting to get both versions on this release is dreaming. If so, prepare to be disappointed.

20. Cory S.

Cory S. Supporting Actor