What's new

"Dark City: Director's Cut" coming to Blu-ray on July 29 (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Well, now that I've seen a larger version of the cover art, I now recognize the spread-eagled figure. It's only the machine head that leaves me scratching my own. I'm not griping, though--the cover is catching a lot of flack over at DVDTalk, but when the alternative would be Hollywood's 1,000,000,000th "floating celebrity heads" cover, I'll take this more artistic version any day of the week...

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I can't imagine it being so objectionably different that wouldn't want it, therefore it's worth a blind buy.
In light of the bits of information that are leaking through from elsewhere, it would be nice if Warner would go ahead and give us official info, if nothing else, to stop the rumors and the speculating. It's hardly a matter of national security, so there shouldn't be very much prepping involved.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes it is a pleasure to be wrong, and if the following is true then I happily admit that I was.
'Dark City' Blu-ray Disc Specs, Cover Art Revealed
* Introduction by Alex Proyas
* Memories of Shell Beach Making-of documentary
* Architecture of Dreams documentary
* Production Gallery
* Text Essays
* Neil Gaiman Review of Dark City
* Director's Cut Fact Track
* Theatrical Trailer
* Multiple audio commentary tracks featuring director Alex Proyas, writers Lem Dobbs and David S. Goyer, director of photography Dariusz Wolski, production designer Patrick Tatopoulos and film critic Roger Ebert
Dark City: Director's Cut on Blu-ray will carry an SRP of $28.99. Click through the disc details below to view high resolution front and back cover art.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Outstanding news that this release will include the theatrical cut, as well as Roger Ebert's commentary for same. All that and a very reasonable SRP. This is a must-buy for me.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Outstanding indeed. Very much looking foward to this now. Getting both this and Starship Troopers on the same day seems like an embarassment of riches after so much "meh"!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i might head over to whv.warnerbros.com now to order it.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap! Amazing how the worm turns isn't it? Didn't I tell certain "wet blankets" to wait for the details before throwing a hissy fit? :laugh:
Am I allowed a "geekgasm" now? :P
A big :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: to New Line/Warner.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Jim_K said:
Holy crap! Amazing how the worm turns isn't it? Didn't I tell certain "wet blankets" to wait for the details before throwing a hissy fit? :laugh:
Am I allowed a "geekgasm" now? :P
A big :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: to New Line/Warner.
Yeah, well, you can't blame us for being wary where HDM is concerned these days now can you? I was going to order this either way, so this is just 'icing on the cake'.
Here's hoping New Line doesn't DNR the hell out of this release! OK, 'wet blanket'-mode restored and all seems right with the universe, for me, again. ;)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Jim_K said:
Holy crap! Amazing how the worm turns isn't it? Didn't I tell certain "wet blankets" to wait for the details before throwing a hissy fit?
I like to think my hissy fit was a force for change.
Seriously, I'm extremely suprised how comprehensive this release looks to be. Kudos to Warner for not doing it half assed (at least in the features dept.). Very happy to have been wrong.
Like Paul A., I just hope now we get as unmanipulated an image as possible. I'll be looking forward to this one with great anticipation now.
cheers

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
BTW, RickER, how are you getting it for just $14? I thought 25% off $20 = $15 (and doesn't WHV charge sales tax?). Just wondering.
Think I'll be placing my first order w/ WHV as well. Dark City, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta and Shawshank -- I believe that's just enough for the free shipping.
_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
comes to just under 15 for me too, no tax to delaware.
maybe it's like gas prices, $3.99 9/10 is $3.99 not $4.00

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Man-Fai Wong said:
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
BTW, RickER, how are you getting it for just $14? I thought 25% off $20 = $15 (and doesn't WHV charge sales tax?). Just wondering.
Think I'll be placing my first order w/ WHV as well. Dark City, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta and Shawshank -- I believe that's just enough for the free shipping.
_Man_
Yea, its $14 and some change, closer to 15. But no sales tax, and since my order was over $50 i got the free shipping as well. You know, for years i have fallen for the marketing thing of seeing something for, oh lets say $14.99 and calling it $14. And that is of course what they want you to see. But still, its a good 50% off MSRP, and about $4 to $5 cheaper than even Amazon.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Looks like New Line ruined Dark City with another round of EE and DNR.
htf_imgcache_33029.jpeg

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't look bad to me. I agree it looks like they did a bit of noise reduction, and compensated with some edge enhancement, but at least everyone's skin still has pores, etc. I guess the big difference between edge enhancement in the dvd era versus edge enhancement in the BluRay era is that there's no ringing or halos around high contrast edges when edge enhancement is applied in BluRay. In the screen shot above, for example, if that were a dvd there'd be a white line along his cheek, but there isn't here, and yet the line of his cheek is sharp. I can live with it.
The comparisons on DVDBeaver show off how good the new version looks compared to the dvd:
Dark City Blu-ray Jennifer Connelly
I am particularly pleased that the new transfer pulls out a bit more.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Perhaps it's a bit premature to describe this transfer as a failed effort. Screen grabs are notoriously unreliable.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
mhafner said:
Hope ........................, Pentonman. Meanwhile the butchering of 'older' films with EE and DNR goes on. Latest example: Dark City.
Would this kind of comment be removed here?
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks