"Dark City: Director's Cut" coming to Blu-ray on July 29

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jesse Blacklow, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

They don't apply makeup to walls, clothing etc. If the DNR look is all over the picture you know it's not makeup. It's just that on faces it's very obvious since people know how faces look, with and without makeup. The temporal artifacts of DNR can not be makeup related anyway. Makeup is attached to the face and does not have a life of its own 24 times a second.

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Note the "NOT ALL". Most of the screen caps have been of people's faces and skin. Yes, there is some DNR and it can be noticed elsewhere.

3. Martin Henry

Martin Henry Stunt Coordinator

Got my copy today. The DNR on this is disgraceful. There some scenes that have grain at the start, but it's completely disappeared by the end of the same scene. It's like someone forgot to turn the DNR machine back on after lunchtime. Check out the shot of Mr Hand flying away after seeing Murdoch at his uncle Karl's place. Grain... now you see it... now you don't. [​IMG]

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

noticed some scenes like this too. Kinda sloppy and makes you yearn for a totally DNR free film.

Especially the scene when Kiefer talks to Jennifer for the first time. Horribly matched.

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Wanting to be sure BD wasn't just a fad /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif"> I am now catching up. I won't be reading these 384 posts, so forgive me if someone has mentioned this:

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    General consensus was that New Line over DNR-ed the picture quality. Otherwise the release is fine. But if you're sensitive to overdone DNR you'll probably be disappointed. (Before they were swallowed up by Warner, New Line had DNR issues. Pan's Labyrinth is another example).

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yeah, there's some DNR/EE issue w/ it -- though not quite as bad as some others (as even RAH was ok w/ it) -- *PLUS* some of the newly added footages for the director's cut, particularly some headshots of Jennifer Connelly, are jarringly soft (probably due in part to seeing them sequenced into the otherwise supersharp DNR/EE look of the rest of the film).

But for the going price right now (on Amazon), it's hard to complain too much about those issues, if you don't already own it.

It's a fave of mine, so I bit the bullet and bought it early on (at some WBShop sale). Wish they didn't overcook it like that, but OTOH, it's certainly not as bad as a handful other overcooked BDs (and is definitely worth owning at a good price, IMHO)...

_Man_

8. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Yep. What the people who were complaining about were saying all along.