Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is quiet rock worth it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 hbk842

hbk842

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 14 2008 - 07:31 AM

I just finished pricing out the quiet rock and it is considerably more expensive. Has anyone installed this in their basement or at home? I am just trying to figure out if I should just increase the thickness of normal drywall or not. Thanks for any input.

#2 of 4 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,056 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 14 2008 - 09:35 AM

It wasn't worth it to me. The lower the frequency, the less it attenuates the sound. I'm a bass nut so it was useless. To keep the peace in the family, I have a single 12" sub that I use when I want to keep things quiet. For full blown action movies I use my dual 15's.

-Robert

#3 of 4 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted April 14 2008 - 09:44 AM

I can't speak for anyone else here, but, I like my rock loud, not quiet. Posted Image Seriously, you may be better off looking into sound absorbtion materials. Rather than putting up sheet rock.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#4 of 4 Ted White

Ted White

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 15 2008 - 01:01 AM

The low frequencies is where it all either happens or it doesn't. The quiet rock is a bit expensive for what you get. Or what you could get with other techniques and materials.
Ted White

The Soundproofing Company