What's new

Falcon Crest...uhm, Forget About It (1 Viewer)

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Tagliente
It's time to resign the fact that Warner Bros is ever going to release FALCON CREST. Waiting and waiting, and watching for it is pointless. It's too bad Warner Bros. seems to have no clue what it is the public wants. If they did, they would release more of the older catalog of TV series in their vaults.

Watch, the next thing we'll see will be "The Best of FRIENDS" compilation or some crap like that. It is just so discouraging to know that Warner Bros. knows there is a fan base out there for FALCON CREST and for KNOTS LANDING, too. What the heck??? It's just too bad Warner Bros. is so out of touch with their buying public.

Warner Bros. has lost me as a customer. I hope those of you out there hoping for KNOTS LANDING get your wish, but if they are ignoring FALCON CREST, then I am sure they will never put out another KNOTS LANDING season set on DVD either.

I'm sure the decision by Warner Bros. to ignore FALCON CREST for a DVD release, has a certain star of the series who passed away last October 10, doing pinwheels in her grave.

"A toast to you FALCON CREST, and long may you live...in the dark, murky dungeon of the Warner Bros. vaults." Maybe they will get a real marketing team in that company and release these older hits that made the Nielsen Ratings soar in their day?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Why is Warner Bros. so against "Falcon Crest," to the point where Jane Wyman is "doing pinwheels in her grave," as you so eloquently put it, while not being against "Friends," a series that I and certain other people could not stand? It intrigues me how a series that made the Nielsens soar when I was younger is ignored for DVD, in favor of a series that was not only terrible as far as the series was concerned, but also in terms of the opening theme, which I think pales to that of "Falcon Crest." Not only is "Friends" available in all ten seasonal sets, but also as one of two forms, I believe, of a completed series package. I myself have not purchased any of the DVD releases, and I will never do so as long as I live-- I thought that it was that bad.

The same goes for another studio-- Sony, I think. I think that the popularity of Jerry Seinfeld could be why we have all of "Seinfeld" on DVD, and only 2/5 of "Hart to Hart," a series that, at least from what I've seen, was head and shoulders above "Seinfeld."

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Just thought I'd put forth an idea since I've been waiting for Falcon Crest as well. Is it possible that they will be releasing it when they're finished with Dallas? Like I said, just a possible idea since I'm as in the dark as others about this series' future on dvd. Still holding out hope.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Just a guess, but I imagine the poor sales for Knots Landing didn't help any.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the club- I wonder if Fox is ever going to put out Peyton Place in my lifetime........

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
It really is a downer when you think about it. There's way too much quality vintage material not making it to the market. I wish Warner would even license their material out so one of the smaller companies (who don't have the high overhead / unrealistic sales expectations) could release them.

As far as the claim that Knots Landing didn't perform to expectations...

1) It was priced unrealistically for the amount of episodes offered in the set.
39.99 for 13 episodes? That's not a bargain, that's crazy.

2) It wasn't manufactured cost efficently: 13 episodes on 5 disks?!? They could have put all 13 episodes on 2-3 disks, which would have lowered production costs, thereby lowering their sales needs.

3) KL Season One didn't do big in the ratings either when it initially aired. Season 2 brought in Donna Mills which helped the show increase in popularity and seasons 3 - onward were when the show hit its stride. Warner could have included Seasons 1-2 in the first set w/ Donna Mills to help sales. It didn't hurt that the set already had 5 disks in it... plenty of room for more episodes.

4) Warner did NO marketing for Knots. They put trailers for Dallas on Knots (as if the people buying Knots weren't already buying Dallas since it is the sister show to Dallas) -- but put NO trailers for Knots on Dallas to cross sell to those consumers. And they wonder why it didn't sell?

Business Common Sense 101: You advertise new product on your already existing big seller, so all the people buying your hot product buy the new product, not the other way around. DUH!!!!

Everything with the corporate executives today needs to be immediately gratified; if its not an instant hit right out of the gate, it's canned.

Like many others, I too have resigned myself to accept the fact that many classic shows like Falcon Crest, Knots, Eight Is Enough, One Day at A Time and tons upon tons of others probably will never see to completion on dvd while this generation of executives is in control.

Perhaps with the next generation of executives, cooler, smarter heads will prevail and maybe they'll just offer these shows as complete sets rather than the season by season releases.

One can only hope.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I agree with you on the packaging for Knots, and the fact that they didn't tap into their biggest draw -- Donna Mills as Abby. The show got significantly better as it went along. I'd love to have the whole run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks